Southern Alberta, May 2011 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 03:50 AM Thread Starter

Southern Alberta, May 2011

I float this as a trial balloon, a suggestion to meet and ride as a group.

Circuit clockwise: Calgary-Crowsnest-Cranbrook, [overnight], BC93-AB1A-Calgary to return.

400km each day, more for those who have to ride to reach the circuit.

Rally points in Calgary and Cowley (good folks pump gas there).

With names up front, quite possible to arrange a group rate at a bike-friendly motel in Cranbrook or Kimberly, or we could take over Skookumchuck completely. If there is sincere interest (meaning reservations) I know who to call. Otherwise, rooms might be a scramble.

Early April as I write this, looking at six weeks away. Anyone interested should say so here, and as things firm up, this will be the thread to find out.

Scott Fraser
Calgary

two little scooters
two super-scooters
two shiny cruisers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 12:32 PM

Sounds like fun Scott. The only thing would be the weather in May. The mountains still get snow in May. Might be an idea to plan for the end of May or even the begining of June. Could still do a day ride through the Kananaskis loop on hwy 40 in early May with a weather contingency of a route to Drumheller or the bridges to Wayne if it's nasty in the mountains.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 07:14 PM

I'd love to do that ride, but unfortunately I live in Nova Scotia. I have been to Kananaskis, Skookumchuk and Crowsnest, but by car 20 years ago.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 11:12 PM
Top Contributor

Yup would b interested.......Usually run that way about a dozen times a year......Stay in Cranbrook quite a bit...Love that area.......Terry.......

4 WHEELS MOVE THE BODY.....2 WHEELS MOVE THE SOUL.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazlives2ride View Post
Yup would b interested.......Usually run that way about a dozen times a year......Stay in Cranbrook quite a bit...Love that area.......Terry.......
Thanks, Terry. I'll be the first to admit that I'm out of my depth. I'm still quite new at riding, and don't know quite what to expect from a group ride. I hope there will be some folks from Calgary that will rally, and I can stand down and defer to people who have done this before and have some experience. I haven't. All I have is my common sense and my desire to ride with others, with two years of touring to guide me, much less than many here.

If this happens, I'd hope that you or someone like you will coordinate the riders from your neck of the woods to get everyone to a rally point. I stuck up my hand because it seems I am not alone around here, and I would like to meet other folks who are as passionate about their ride as I am. I'm totally junior, but I have my hand up. I thank you for your response, and hope the greybeards from Calgary will also step up. If they don't, I won't have a hymen any more, but I'm determined to enjoy losing it.

Love the sun, hate the snow
Scott Fraser
Calgary

two little scooters
two super-scooters
two shiny cruisers
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by berwick7 View Post
I'd love to do that ride, but unfortunately I live in Nova Scotia. I have been to Kananaskis, Skookumchuk and Crowsnest, but by car 20 years ago.
Hmm. Nova Scotia, eh? You got some weeks to get here, and be part of a group hug. Otherwise, set something up for July or August, and we'll come to you. Maybe. Canada is pretty big.

I suspect Maritimers have the dream to ride in the mountains. I've been there, and as much as I love those mountain twisties, I want to see Atlantic Canada, explore Newfoundland, and find out how the other half lives. We suffer with many days of flatland between us, punctuated by a day of empty wilderness thorough Northern Entherieaux. A day later to reach real people, and find out something about your world. It's too soon to say whether this is the year, but the Maritimes are on my Bucket List.

Bugs taste yukky, unless they're on your teeth.
Smile hard, and add mustard.
Scott Fraser
Calgary

two little scooters
two super-scooters
two shiny cruisers

Last edited by Scott_F; 04-08-2011 at 01:48 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 07:38 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_F View Post
Thanks, Terry. I'll be the first to admit that I'm out of my depth. I'm still quite new at riding, and don't know quite what to expect from a group ride. I hope there will be some folks from Calgary that will rally, and I can stand down and defer to people who have done this before and have some experience. I haven't. All I have is my common sense and my desire to ride with others, with two years of touring to guide me, much less than many here.

If this happens, I'd hope that you or someone like you will coordinate the riders from your neck of the woods to get everyone to a rally point. I stuck up my hand because it seems I am not alone around here, and I would like to meet other folks who are as passionate about their ride as I am. I'm totally junior, but I have my hand up. I thank you for your response, and hope the greybeards from Calgary will also step up. If they don't, I won't have a hymen any more, but I'm determined to enjoy losing it.

Love the sun, hate the snow
Scott Fraser
Calgary
Hey Scott.......How goes.......As Vulcanskier mentioned above the weather can b kinda crazy in May in the mountains.......This year especially, i would not trust it at the moment....I have no problem hooking up 4 a ride....I just need a date so i can book off and make time.....Also if anyone from this area wants 2 head up 4 a ride and meet up with u is cool and i have no problems.....My only problem is i work in the oil patch, ya crazy...We r in break up right now so i have a bit more time than normal 2 get things done and hang around....Once break up is over all hell gonna break loose 4 us....I was kinda retired once....Did not work 3 1/2 years....Then had the bright idea 2 go back 2 work....Still not sure why....LOL.....Will stick with it 4 a bit and see i guess.....Anyways take care and talk 2 u soon......Terry....

4 WHEELS MOVE THE BODY.....2 WHEELS MOVE THE SOUL.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 09:57 AM

"Could still do a day ride through the Kananaskis loop on hwy 40 in early May with a weather contingency of a route to Drumheller or the bridges to Wayne if it's nasty in the mountains."

Ooops. I forgot that Hwy 40 between the Peter Lougheed Park cut off and Highwood pass is closed until June 14 every year. My bad. Guess we would have to go east instead or just cruise up 1A to Canmore.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 09:12 AM

RE;Group ride

Hello all,

Has this been firmed as to dates yet?

I could be counted in once I know the dates.

Current Bike: 2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Tick, tick, tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canvulcanadian View Post
Hello all,

Has this been firmed as to dates yet?

I could be counted in once I know the dates.
Good question without a good answer. May long is next weekend, so now's the time to get after it if it's gonna happen.

As of a week ago it was still cold and rainy high in the passes, but the webcams show clear and dry today. I don't think a run through Crowsnest and back through Radium via 93 is out of the question. Calgary-Cranbrook is 400km, a nice day ride each way, and the northern group could meet the southern group at Pincher Creek or Ft.MacLeod. I know a place in Skookumchuck where we might get a group rate on a block of cabins, but it's time to make the call.

Plan B would be to head east, maybe carve a loop through Drumheller and Brooks to Taber and back up AB22 or AB23. I don't know the terrain to the east, so would defer to someone else to select the best route there.

Another option would be to run up to Red Deer or even Edmonton, although that's more miles for people coming from Highway 3, and I'm not sure how many forum members there are up there. It seems to me that more people are in the southern part of the province.

Show of hands? Who would be interested? Preferred route? Overnight? If so where, so we can arrange accommodations in advance.

Interested parties can post in the thread or send me a PM or an email and on Monday I will post back what the response is.

Scott Fraser
Calgary
scott_fraser(at)shaw.ca

two little scooters
two super-scooters
two shiny cruisers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode