Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

900 Custom: Moving Shift Peg?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  SteveJB 
#1 · (Edited)
Before I go loosening/removing things I don't need to, how do you reposition the shift peg upwards? I can barely get my new riding boot under the peg. Is it splined or do I have to loosen the nuts and play around with that connecting rod to the tranny? I only found talk of the Classic's heel/toe shifter and that wasn't that conclusive. Thank you.

#2 ·
Generally they're going to be splined. So just loosen it, pull the shift lever off, and find a spot you like then slide back on and tighten.

If it's been on there a while it probably won't want to slide off, so some WD-40 will help it slide off then take a wire brush to knock any accumulated corrosion off the shaft and the shift.

#4 ·
Hey Spalt, it looks to me like there is a dimple alignment dot on the rear linkage & on the linkage arm...so I wouldn't just pull off the rear linkage arm and re-insert it at a different location. That could mess up the overall geometry of the link arm relationship to the tranny shifter rod (extending out of the tranny).

The idea is to loosen the locknuts on the link rod (with rod with the heim ends) and rotate the link rod CCW or CW to get the shift peg to move up or down, as the case may be. Watch the threads on the heim ends & locknuts - one end is standard right-hand threads, and the other end is opposite LEFT HAND threads. Don't beat these locknuts up...observe the threads on the rod, and turn in the appropriate direction to loosen or tighten.

Once happy with the height of the shifter peg, tighten up the locknuts to torque spec.

E&OE. Use at your own risk.

#5 ·
@Splat Shadow 1 has it right. Use the link rod.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.