Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums - View Single Post - KLE 500 top end on Vulcan 500
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:37 PM
bikerbill
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 1997 Vulcan LTD
Displacement/CC's: 500
Color: Black
Garage
I don't know about the KLE500 except that it looks cool and would be something I'd like to ride at least once. (they aren't available in the US)

Some time back I did a parts comparison between the EN500 and EX500 engines. What I found is that from the wrist pins down the engines are identical! Crankshaft, rods, clutch, transmission.... Also the rings, valves, and valve springs are interchangeable. Aside from the camshaft profile, cylinder head, and pistons the engines are mechanically the same. (the cylinder head difference may only be color)

Regarding the carburetors, The 32mm and 34mm units will clamp to the engine but their intake flanges are different sizes so it won't connect up the stock airbox. If you are willing to experiment you could install pod air filters on the 34mm carbs (with a DynoJet 2128 jet kit). I ran 34mm carbs on Hidalgo for several years. The engine revs higher but at the cost of low end power. Oh, and noise. There is a lot of noise from the intake track that is normally muffled by the stock airbox.

--
'Biker' Bill
'97 EN500LTD 'Hidalgo' 208,000+ miles so far
'98 EN500LTD 'Sioux' 19,000 miles so far
VROC #3833 IronButt #6024
Levelland, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome