No more BOTM? Options? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
No more BOTM? Options?

********* and myself have been having some discussion on whether or not to stop having the BOTM, but have some kind of monthly contest so we can still have our members shown off on the front page. BOTM gets a lot of views, but not a lot of participation. Jeff and I may be mods, but you guys, the members, are what makes this site what it is. What would guys like to see as a contest? What would you participate in? We'll be changing things up and want your ideas and input on how to improve the monthly cover contest.

Here's one idea-
Instead of a BOTM contest, have just a pic of the month contest. Some of the thoughts on guidelines-
1-should be Vulcan related
2-pics chosen from the Vulcan Forums Gallery only
3-Jeff and I would randomly choose 3 pics each month for the members to vote on
4-any pic in the gallery will be fair game, unless the owners pm either Jeff or myself and let us know you don't want them used.

Remember, these are just ideas and we want yours too, let us know what you want!

-------------------------------------
'02 Vulcan 1500 Drifter
'07 Vulcan 900 Classic
'06 HD XL1200C
'76 HD XLH
Patriot Guard Rider
SCRC, Rolling Hills Chapter 314
-Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 07:36 PM

Maybe the BOTM is just to often, not enough new members that know about it to have enough new entries. Your ideas sound good. Another idea maybe you just have a similar thing to the BOTM on a quarterly (entries open for 2-1/2 months or so) basis instead of monthly. Along with that maybe you just need a little more marketing that it can be any bike (Vulcan that is) to enter, doesn't need to be a radically modified bike. Maybe people don't think their bike is customized enough to go to the trouble of entering. In the 900 forum you get plenty of pictures, what makes that so popular? Part of the problem maybe that there are still many people that don't know how to post pictures. I didn't when I was new here

Whatever you do I agree it's good to see everyone elses ride, stock or customized. You get a lot of ideas for you own bike without spending the money and finding out you don't like something.

Last edited by rs900c; 11-22-2009 at 07:41 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 02:25 PM

Both Good Ideas

I think that both your idea and RS900C's idea are very good.

I haven't done enough to my bike that I would consider it as anything but stock, soi I wouldn't view it as a canidate for BOTM.

A picture of the Month/Quarter can take into account more than just the bike (Vulcan of course), such as locations, say the intersection of Kawasaki Av.and Vulcan Dr. (probably doesn't exist) with a nice modified or not modified Vulcan in the foreground. Any picture that captures the experience
of riding.

These could be drawn from posts in the photo galleries for the period in question.

Just my thoughts.

09 Vulcan 900 Custom - Traveller
09 FZ 6 - Lakota

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I just started to actually look at other threads on here other then the 900 area. I didn't even know how to vote until today. (mainly cuz I am lazy and don't look for things). I like the BOTM, but I wonder if alot of people even know about it. I mean the 900 model area has the most threads by far.

What would be cool is if there was sponsor that would give something for winners. It might get more people to go for it. Maybe limiting how many times someone can win...

eLi
South of the Twin Cities.
Ride the river.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 10:07 PM
Top Contributor

Would there be a way you could do each catagory IE: 1700, 1600, 1500, 900, 800, & 500 or some form of the different bikes... BOTM always seemed certain size and types were all that had much of a chance... I see pics of folks with 500's they have done alot of work to, and that doesn't get considered. I know that would be alot of catagories, but maybe that could be condensed down some to touring, sport bike, large cruiser, small crusier or something.?? and the pics just posted without voting even... just change them up monthly... sorta showcase everyone's bikes that way.??

~Mark
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Honda Goldwing Level3
Displacement/CC's: 1800
Color: Pearl White
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace Bror View Post
I just started to actually look at other threads on here other then the 900 area. I didn't even know how to vote until today. (mainly cuz I am lazy and don't look for things). I like the BOTM, but I wonder if alot of people even know about it. I mean the 900 model area has the most threads by far.

What would be cool is if there was sponsor that would give something for winners. It might get more people to go for it. Maybe limiting how many times someone can win...
So when you logon you just go to the 900 folder and not the others? Have you tried the "New Posts" tab? If you visit daily, usually there is only a page of new posts and you can click on the ones that interest you without missing an interesting tidbit outside the 900 folder.

Jeff, Twin Cities, MN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 10:34 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Don't know how I missed it. I use that feature on VN750.com all the time. Told you I was lazy.

eLi
South of the Twin Cities.
Ride the river.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 09:08 AM
Top Contributor

That really disappoints me. I had been waiting until I finished with the farkles to enter my bike. Santa completed the farkle list now the BOTM is gone... Bummer!!!

Mark...Rollingbones
2011 Harley Road King FLHR

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic (Sold)
American Legion Riders Post 383
Patriot Guard Riders
Sacramento Metro Fire CERT
West Fair Oaks Neighborhood Watch
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Honda Goldwing Level3
Displacement/CC's: 1800
Color: Pearl White
Garage
It is not gone, this thread was started to solicit opinions and discuss it. As stated, several months we barely get entrants and the voting is light. Looking to gauge interest/solutions.

Jeff, Twin Cities, MN

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 11:04 AM
Top Contributor

Maybe posting a Sticky at the top of each forum (or even if just the ones for all the model forums) about the BOTM might help remind people to check it out and vote. I think if it's put out there in this fashion, you may get more general interest, entries and votes. In general I believe folks like seeing bike pics. The pic of your Vulcan seems to be fairly well used. Just a suggestion. Thanks.

Mark...Rollingbones
2011 Harley Road King FLHR

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic (Sold)
American Legion Riders Post 383
Patriot Guard Riders
Sacramento Metro Fire CERT
West Fair Oaks Neighborhood Watch
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode