Picture "size" limitations? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Send a message via MSN to slaponte Send a message via Yahoo to slaponte
Cool Picture "size" limitations?

I recently posted on a thread with a couple of pictures of my bike. I later have found the pictures have been edited out because of a size limit. It would seem the limitce the forum didn't complain about it when I posted and they could be seen for a couple of days.

So...

1. What is this size limit?

2. Why is there a size limit, if the pictures aren't hosted here? It is just a link to somewhere else, and the only issue is they take time to load?

3. If our posts are edited and no longer make sense, shouldn't we be told/advised or some kind of web site notice posted about this?

I rather like large pictures. I am on DSL and don't mind the load time, vs looking at postage stamps. A fair warning can be stated for those on slow modems (who is these days??) like "56K beware"...

Just asking. Love the site. Just was kind of a surprise.

VROC # 27462
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 10:14 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
There isn't anything set in stone...yet...but we are working on it.

1. 800x600 is an acceptable size, not too big, not too small.

2. There still some people on dial-up, granted, probably not that many with todays' technology, but either way we want people to be able to download at an acceptable rate. As an example, there's another bike forum that I lurk on, they post huge pics and lots of them, even with my DSL it tskes forever to download. Now imagine a dial up guy trying to get on the same page, more than likely they'll get frustrated at the download time and not come back to the site. I used to be that guy, we didn't get dsl until just a year ago(I live in the boonies) We'd like to keep the site available for anyone to peruse, reguard of their connection. I'm not really a web-tech guy so I really can't answer the bandwidth usage part.

3. Yes.

We're working on some more things, nothing drastic, just things that should be in place while the site is small. IMHO, it's easier to get used to things while the site is small versus trying to adapt later.

For me, I'm a noobie mod here, I'm admin and mod on another forum and it's a completely different system here than what I'm used to, but I'm learning the ropes. If anyone has any questions or concerns feel free to pm me anytime.

-------------------------------------
'02 Vulcan 1500 Drifter
'07 Vulcan 900 Classic
'06 HD XL1200C
'76 HD XLH
Patriot Guard Rider
SCRC, Rolling Hills Chapter 314
-Rob
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Send a message via MSN to slaponte Send a message via Yahoo to slaponte
I would urge you to consider 1024x768 as the max. I think today many of us have flat screens and dsl and can enjoy the higher res pictures. I do understand a limitation should be there for signatures, but on a thread labeled "Post pictures here" then people should realize pictures will be posted and can take time to download if on slow access.

Thumbnail to larger pictures would be ok, I hope.

VROC # 27462
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 08:34 AM
hasbeen

Sounds like a misunderstanding. Please feel free to contact one of the admins whenever there is any doubt.

I heard the pics were posted under your signature (to show up on every post). If so, then the pics should have been removed as they were too big as stated in your signature upload box. If the pics were just linked into a thread that should have been fine. No reason not to alow high resolution pics IMO. If thats the case, please feel free to repost and our appologies.

As mentioned earlier, the site rules are currently in the works so it will be clear to everyone. They are not intended to suck the fun out of the board but simply guidelines. They should be posted within the next week.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 04:34 PM

From Dial up user

As part of that small community of dial up users I think 600X800 is plenty of detail for a picture. As mentioned above there are site that I do not go to anymore because of the HUGE pictures they allow and one where I think each signature is at least 100K. I quit trying to download those threads because 90% of the screen area was just signatures.

Threads related to pics would still be great at 600x800 max.(actually I think a file size limit would be more appropriate so you can have lots of detail in a smaller pic or a broader shot with less resolution) you don't really gain that much with the extra data especially when the (and I am talking in general and not about any particular pic I've seen here, let me stress that) the pic is not cropped and includes half the neighborhood. I understand the concept of composition and some of the wider shot are interesting but they are in the minority.

Just my $0.03 worth.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 06:26 PM

how

LOL I cant even figure how to show a picture of my bike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1998 classic.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	94  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 06:04 AM
hasbeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighat View Post
LOL I cant even figure how to show a picture of my bike
Well your close. Now that you have uploaded the image you can see the image linked above the manage attachments button. Click on the link and it will bring up the image in a new window. Highlight and copy the address (CTRL C) and then edit your post and click on the insert image icon and paste the image address into the window, hit enter and submit reply/edit.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 11:30 PM

Still working on this....I am at 1348x1078 (I think), wide screen, new Acer. I am still learning this pic thing.

bh
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoisington View Post
Still working on this....I am at 1348x1078 (I think), wide screen, new Acer. I am still learning this pic thing.

bh
If you search the internet there are several programs available for free that will easily reduce a pictures size... I personally like one called "Photo Razor" that is a free down load, and will let you reduce the pic size for whole folders at a time... it then places the smaller versions of the pics in sub folder in with the original pics labeled "small". It also helps if a person signs up for a web hosting account somewhere... some places (including here in post) the pics have to be stored and the URL of the pic you are wanting to show has to be used from that storage site.

As to putting in my 2 cents worth on image size... I would think using a kb limit would be the better option.. I know myself I could make an image fit within the size limits, but be fairly large in kb's if I chose to do so, but know I can also make a larger image be very low resolution and fit within a kb limit... anyone on dial up could view a large low resolution pic just as well as a small high resolution pic.

~Mark
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 08:52 PM

I will try Photo Razor, this sounds like a good idea. On kbs, I have that prob because the pics I took are 2mb (nice pics I guess). Fine, will see what I can do, thx for the solution (fingers crossed).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode