No Maintenance Forum? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

No Maintenance Forum?

I was wondering why there is not a Maintenance Forum where folks can discuss tips and advice on how to do their own work on their bikes.

Is there one and I missed it? Or if not, can one be created?

Thanks,

Frank

Mean Streak Owners Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 11:36 AM
Banned

Well, there is the "Wrench Heads" forum, as well as the "How To" forum.

Personally, I'm shocked that there isn't a "bars" forum.

-Sent from my HTC Evo using the Motorcycle.com App
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

True, but Wrench Heads states "A place to discuss your creations/inventions or just a cool mod" and How To states "This is where members should be posting their How To threads" which to me means something along the lines of "this is how I modded my rear fender and removed the license plate to put it here" kinda thing.

Those two does not imply regularly scheduled Mx and other repair activities that we have to perform on our bikes.

Make sense?

Frank

Mean Streak Owners Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 11:42 AM
Top Contributor

Needs to be a "Biking for Dummys"... I would be hanging out in there.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sky View Post
True, but Wrench Heads states "A place to discuss your creations/inventions or just a cool mod" and How To states "This is where members should be posting their How To threads" which to me means something along the lines of "this is how I modded my rear fender and removed the license plate to put it here" kinda thing.

Those two does not imply regularly scheduled Mx and other repair activities that we have to perform on our bikes.

Make sense?

Frank
Yeah, I dig what you're saying. A lot of those threads are kinda inter- mingled with all the other threads, but you're right - it would be nice to see them all together.

That begs the question though. If all the MX threads go in there, all the mesh jacket & helmet threads go in the "gear" section, all the Rotella threads go in the "oil" section, and all the tired threads are in the "tires" section. . . There won't be much discussed besides Seafoam and why Harley sucks! LOL

-Sent from my Galaxy Tab.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 12:58 PM

IMO this is what the bike specific forums are for. If you're going to ask a maintenance question you should ask how to do it for your specific bike.

For example, if I need to know what the oil capacity of my 96 1500 classic is, I'm going to post a thread in the "1500" section to make sure I get the right advice for my specific bike. Mods are more universal so having one mod section for all bikes makes sense.

Also, a manual is usually better for regular maintenance anyway.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 01:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiek View Post
IMO this is what the bike specific forums are for. If you're going to ask a maintenance question you should ask how to do it for your specific bike.

For example, if I need to know what the oil capacity of my 96 1500 classic is, I'm going to post a thread in the "1500" section to make sure I get the right advice for my specific bike. Mods are more universal so having one mod section for all bikes makes sense.

Also, a manual is usually better for regular maintenance anyway.

Well, a manual is definitely better. But, you do know this is a Web forum, right? People that like to do their own MX like to talk about that stuff. It makes sense.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 01:04 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Maybe an amendment to the description of the 'wrench heads' forum to welcome people who have questions about maintenance?

Otherwise, I agree with Eddie. You would probably best be served in the model specific forums. Alot of the 1500 guys only hang out in the 1500 forums, the 900 guys stick to the 900 forums, etc. You're best served asking maintenance questions in there.

And +1 to what Lloyd said, alot of maintenance work I could do to my bike I could have someone else do for just a bit more. I LIKE doing my maintenance, it's kind of fun and it never hurts to have an excellent understanding of your machine, and to get underneath it every now and then, so I like discussing tips and tricks for doing it next time, etc.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Last edited by Romans5.8; 07-13-2012 at 01:07 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywithlloyd View Post
Well, a manual is definitely better. But, you do know this is a Web forum, right? People that like to do their own MX like to talk about that stuff. It makes sense.

Yes I realize that this is an online community. I also realize (from being on more forums than I can count) that a forum is most succesful when we ask the questions that are actually helpful to others. I've seen plenty of forums where one user will start ten threads to ask how much oil to put in his bike, then what his tire pressure should be, what gear oil to use etc.

A forum is not as useful for simple questions like "what should my tire pressure be" asking these types of questions just causes someone else to consult their manual and do your reading for you. A better question to ask on a forum is "what is your opinion on riding at at higher or lower psi than the manufacturer reccomendation?"

That's all I was saying. I love forums, and I love community. I'm just saying we should make more room for discussions that actually promote that community and knowledge sharing.

oye... sorry for the rant. happy riding
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 01:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiek View Post

A forum is not as useful for simple questions like "what should my tire pressure be" asking these types of questions just causes someone else to consult their manual and do your reading for you. A better question to ask on a forum is "what is your opinion on riding at at higher or lower psi than the manufacturer reccomendation?"
Eh, all a matter of opinin! I don't value the opinion of a bunch of Internet users for any of those. But some people do. For other things, I do value the opinions of others. I DO value the opinion of other users when it comes to restaurants, strip clubs, and liquor store prices. So, it's not always one size fits all!

I don't even enjoy doing my own MX, but i support those that do, and I think their own forum is a good idea! We ALL have to grab a wrench from time to time, and it's good to have the resources there!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode