Locals only! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2003 Vulcan 1600
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Color: Red
Thumbs up Locals only!

My buddy and I are planning a 7-8 day ride in western/central WA and OR the second week of Sept. It would be great to get some local info on fun roads, sights to see, where to get the best homefries in town, and an occasional micro-brewery would be welcome too!

We're starting in BC. The rough plan is to cross the border, head down Chuckanut, ferry to Port Townsend, down to Astoria (Hood Canal, or Forks?), then down the coast to Florence (?), turn inland, maybe as far as Bend, then start making our way back north. We will be camping, but not cooking our own meals, so campsites should be a short ride from coffee! We're pretty loose about plans, don't really care how many miles we put on each day, and tend to stop a lot. It's quality, not quantity!

Aufderheide is on the list, as well as the Gorge of course, and probably along the east side of Mt. St Helens. But nothing beats local knowledge, so please share!

Cheers,
Lloyd

2003 Vulcan 1600 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 07:05 PM

The Pendleton round-up is the second week of Sept. If your riding up the gorge east on 84, (that fallows the Columbia river), you'll run right into it! Third largest rodeo in the world. Little town of 15k swells to 70k. 84 would not be my first choice. I'm not crazy about freeways. North of Pendleton I would hit the mountains! Take 84 across the Blue Mts to La Grande, 82 to Elgin, Joseph, take 3 out of Joseph turn into 129 in Lewiston Idaho. The hart of the Eagle Cap Wilderness area!! Beautiful country!! If you wanted to go farther east, Hells Canyon is a nice ride. Bunch of great people in Oregon!!.... and the occasional fricken idiot. Please watch for the idiot and keep the wheels down!! AND POST SOME PICS!!!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 08:48 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
If you're heading toward Bend, take US101 all the way to Lincoln City, which is a cool little town. Then head west toward Salem. In Salem there was a place called The Newport Bay Grill, which is on Market Street right off I-5. My wife and I used to visit there once a year, good local seafood. We haven't been back in several years, so if it sucks now...I'm sorry lol

Take Route 22 out of Salem heading east. That'll take you past Detroit Lake and while I've never been on this road on 2 wheels before, I've lusted after the idea for years. Basically from there to Bend is nothing but beautiful scenery and awesome motorcycle road. Between Detroit Lake and Bend is a little mountain tourist town called Sisters...worth a stop and look, but that's all I've ever done there. If you land on a great place to eat or something cool to see there, hell, let me know.

Not much east of Bend on US20 but high desert, but if you were feeling ambitious and had the time, you could head north to Redmond, then east through Prineville toward John Day and Iron City...that is a really nice route.

Have fun and ride safe! I'm totally jealous right now.

OURS
2011 Victory Cross Roads, crimson red

"There is only one God, and His name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'not today.'"

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Thank you both for the tips. I'm trying to follow along with Google Maps, and mostly I can see where you guys are talking about. Google apparently doesn't know about any Iron City in Oregon, but everything else I can find. We probably won't get as far east as as Elgin, but you never know. And I agree, I-84 is not the first choice. "Avoid interstates" is the closest thing we have to a rule on these trips!

I will definitely post pics! This is the only place I can get an audience - my wife very quickly gets to the "oh, there's your bike somewhere again" stage.

2003 Vulcan 1600 Classic
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 05:23 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I'm sorry, it's Ironside, not Iron City. It's mostly a wide place in the road. I think there's a gas station there.

lol, I did say it had been a few years.

OURS
2011 Victory Cross Roads, crimson red

"There is only one God, and His name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'not today.'"
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 08:28 AM

When I rid up the gorge instead of 84, I ride the Washington side. No traffic over there!! There is some cool scenic bypass roads around Hood River and The Dalles! Mt hood hi-way is a nice ride. You can't go wrong on the Oregon coast, but the eastern part of the state is the most scenic. My opinion only!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Great stuff, thank you all! Sfairy, looking at those pics I think OR 242 is definitely on the list. I would love to get to Crater Lake, but it may be just a bit too far. Depends on when we get to Bend; from there it's 700 miles back home, which could take us 3 days. Adding a 240 mile round trip the wrong way may be too much. (I still have the stock seat on the 900, my friend rides a 650 V-Star. Frequent stops are a must!) That Oregon site looks like a great way to spend many hours. I can read that kind of stuff all day.

I found Ironside - wide spot is a generous description!

2003 Vulcan 1600 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode