Washington rides - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: Vulcan 900 Custom
Washington rides

Hey everyone.

I'm new to WA. I live in the Seattle area. I don't know much about the ride scene or where the great roads are.

Can the Washington people let me know where the good destinations are and how to get there?

Thanks!

2007 Vulcan 900 Custom
-Bubs Jug Huggers exhaust
-Power Commander III
-Baron BAK
-Kuryakyn grips and pegs
-Fire and Steel Light Bar
-Low and Mean fender and radiator shroud
-Custom Speedometer
-Memphis Shades Batwing (9"visor w/s, lowers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 07:00 PM

Welcome to the Seattle area mchilese. One of the best roads around is the north cascades highway aka WA 20. Take 530 from arlington to darington then to rockport. Head east over the pass. make sure to stop at the lake diablo overlook. Most people head on to the little town of winthrop. You can also continue on to hwy 97 then head south to hwy 2 then head west back to everett. This is know as the cascade loop. By Tacoma is hwy 410 which goes into Yakima. The east side of MT Saint Helens is a great ride. I live in Marysville so hwy 9 from Arlington to Sumas is one of my favs. Chuckanutt drive (hwy 110 from Mount Vernon to Bellingham is great too. I also recommend subscribing to the online magazine Sound Rider. It is a free monthly magazine with lots of local info on what is going on. If you have any more guestions, feel free to ask. This is a great place to ride.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: Vulcan 900 Custom
Thanks for the response. I can't wait to get out and try those routes. Unfortunately, I'll have to. I'm deployed with the Coast Guard right now. So I won't be able to get back for a while. Once I do though, I'm going to lay down some serious miles.

2007 Vulcan 900 Custom
-Bubs Jug Huggers exhaust
-Power Commander III
-Baron BAK
-Kuryakyn grips and pegs
-Fire and Steel Light Bar
-Low and Mean fender and radiator shroud
-Custom Speedometer
-Memphis Shades Batwing (9"visor w/s, lowers)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 09:21 PM

Post up when you get back. I'm right along the way if you do go for the loop. That is a great ride if you have all day.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 11:11 PM

Garage
Hi All,
I'm new to the forum and live in Puyallup. It would be nice to get together for some rides. I'll be sure to post any my friends and I plan.

Sent from my HTC Amaze 4G using Motorcycle.com App
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 11:27 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 LTD; 1996 Kawasaki ZX9R Ninja; 1993 Kawasaki ZR-1100 (now 1322 cc)
Displacement/CC's: 2000 cc; 900 cc; 1322 cc
Well, there was a good back roads ride down to the Columbia River through Carson, via FSR 25, but I came up from a great road trip in my M6 from E. OR and tried to go back that way, and found out the road is closed. Gate across it. Had to drive way around, lost about an hour of time getting home.

My church has a motorcycle club that does a lot of rides around western WA. All over.

One good ride you might try, it is about 400 miles, and you can do it in one day if you ride hard, is the North Cascades Loop. You ride up I-5 to the cutoff for highway 20 (by memory there are a couple exits that will get you there, one is Darrington, another is Sedro Wooley), and you ride up and over on that beautiful stretch of highway all the way to E. WA and through Winthrop and Twisp. You ride down either side of the Columbia past Lake Chelan, then choose whether to ride home on Highway 2 (two lanes and nice if the traffic is not slow) or take 2 almost to Cashmere and turn off at I-97, go over Blewitt Pass to I-90, and you could either blast home on that slab, or take the SR-18 cutoff and ride over Tiger Mountain and take the Issaquah-Hobart road until you get to May Road, take a left and ride that into Renton, then take either I-5 or Ranier Ave to Seattle.

That is just one of many rides around here.

I also love to ride to Yakima via SR-12. You would, from Seattle, take I-5 south to SR-518 East, take it east to SR-167, take that until you hit SR-18, take SR-18 East about one exit to the cutoff for SR-164/Muckleshoot, drive that into Enumclaw, get onto SR-410 to Mt. Ranier until you find the cutoff for SR-12 East to Yakima. Very picturesque drive on SR-12, and some great little roadside restaurants closer to Yakima on that highway. Bring your camera, there are some view points to take pictures of Mt. Ranier as you crest the mountain and go over the other side.

There are some very very sharp hairpin turns to get up to the summit that you need to be prepared for, they are very tough on a cruiser bike but if you go slow and know how to turn sharp, you will be OK.

You can do a two day ride with that Yakima trip by riding to Walla Walla and spending an overnight after a leisurely low mileage ride, and then take SR-14 along the Columbia Gorge back to I-5 and ride the slab back home (or there are some back roads on the way back you can take too, just pm me). You can do this ride in one day but it makes for a long day.

Last edited by The Heater; 07-06-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode