Oregon - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Oregon

We just returned from a 4500 km tour of eastern Oregon. We were there for two weeks, riding from Baker City and La Grande, crisscrossing the area from Hell's Canyon to John Day up to Hermiston and Clarkston. Great roads, great people and beautiful scenery.

Big thumbs up for Oregon Trail Sports in Baker City. My bike broke down, and the folks there went out of their way to help us out: red-balled a new stator and regulator, got us a rate in the motel, gave us a break on the cost of the repair and parts and got us on our way again as quickly as possible. Their help kept a breakdown from ruining our holiday, something I am very grateful for. Anyone riding through the area should know they are the best bike shop around, on the off chance you have your own breakdown.

The riding was incredible. We stayed off the Interstates, logging 1200 miles all over the area on State Roads and Forestry Service Roads. The pavement was excellent, apart from the short gravel stretches of NFR39 where the road washed away this spring and the patchy pavement on NFR51 along the Grande Ronde valley south of La Grande. Everywhere else was smooth and clean. We were impressed, and will be back next summer to explore areas farther west.

This is the route we took.

Ride Safe
Scott Fraser
Calgary, Alberta

two little scooters
two super-scooters
two shiny cruisers

Last edited by Scott_F; 08-12-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 11:45 PM

Thanks for visiting our state! Oregonians are awesome and are typically very nice to people. I'm glad you got a good help over there in eastern oregon, cause the rides are so beautiful! One of these days i'll try and go for a tour on my bike.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKman View Post
Thanks for visiting our state! Oregonians are awesome and are typically very nice to people. I'm glad you got a good help over there in eastern oregon, cause the rides are so beautiful! One of these days i'll try and go for a tour on my bike.
It's worth the trip. So far, we've toured 8000 km this year through Montana, Idaho, Washington and Oregon. Last year we toured 3500 km through the BC Interior. Oregon takes the prize. The roads between Hermiston and John Day to Baker City and La Grande, Joseph and the Wallowas, just fantastic. The scenery is spectacular, and changes every sixty miles. It's great riding, especially now on new pavement. Pity it's so far from Calgary.

Cheers
Scott Fraser

two little scooters
two super-scooters
two shiny cruisers

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 12:43 PM

I'm in Milton-Freewater OR, a little north of Pendleton. I feel blessed to have these areas to ride every weekend. If you're in the area again give me a shout. I'll take you on the Asotin-Joseph ride or the Halfway-Joseph ride, neither of which are highly publicized. If you found those, I'll find some you haven't been on.

2007 VN900LT, red/titanium
OEM highway bars and luggage rack
OEM WS lowers
4.5 inch pull back risers
Kuryakin highway pegs
Stebel air horn
Utopia driver backrest on OEM seat
OEM gel seat for about town, and hauling grandkids
ISO grips
Jardine light bar
K&N air filter
Brakeaway cruise control
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbwarner View Post
I'm in Milton-Freewater OR, a little north of Pendleton. I feel blessed to have these areas to ride every weekend. If you're in the area again give me a shout. I'll take you on the Asotin-Joseph ride or the Halfway-Joseph ride, neither of which are highly publicized. If you found those, I'll find some you haven't been on.
I would take you up on that, although we were over those roads. We even had ice cream at the DQ in Milton-Freewater!

There's a link in my first post to a map showing where we went, some 1200 miles in northeastern Oregon. You're lucky to have such fine riding so close.

Regards
Scott Fraser
Calgary

two little scooters
two super-scooters
two shiny cruisers
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 11:10 AM

Wow, Scott! You must've had a tour guide. You sure got the highlights of what we have available here. Offer stands, though, as we have more. If your map is still available when you're in the area again, I'll work around where you've been and show you some more, as well as some great road food in areas you've been.

Stay safe.

2007 VN900LT, red/titanium
OEM highway bars and luggage rack
OEM WS lowers
4.5 inch pull back risers
Kuryakin highway pegs
Stebel air horn
Utopia driver backrest on OEM seat
OEM gel seat for about town, and hauling grandkids
ISO grips
Jardine light bar
K&N air filter
Brakeaway cruise control
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbwarner View Post
Wow, Scott! You must've had a tour guide. You sure got the highlights of what we have available here. Offer stands, though, as we have more. If your map is still available when you're in the area again, I'll work around where you've been and show you some more, as well as some great road food in areas you've been.

Stay safe.
LOL! My "tour guide" was the little walky-guy from Google Maps and instinct. We had the same kind of wander through BC last year and earlier this year we went through Idaho and northwestern Montana. I had more help for those, either from Destination Highways or Butler Maps. They don't do Oregon, and I could find little information before we left. When we were in Idaho we learned about the Nez Perce, and we knew we wanted to go to Joseph. I had no idea what to expect, and the rest just sort of fell into place once we were there. It's fabulous riding!

I started a trip report. http://t-34.hobby-site.com/oregon_diary.html

We will probably be back next year. We never got to Condon or The Dalles, there are more roads between there and John Day to explore, and we have friends to visit now in Baker City.

Ride Safe
Scott Fraser

two little scooters
two super-scooters
two shiny cruisers
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

I suppose it would help if I posted the correct link!

Oregon Odyssey

Enjoy
Scott Fraser
Calgary, Alberta

two little scooters
two super-scooters
two shiny cruisers
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 06:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to Frederickson Flier
Great pix and write-up Scott.

Last year I rode home from Enterprise on OR2/WA129. Stopped at Boggan's Oasis for a milkshake. Did you get the T-shirt?

~ff~
Motorcycling ~ measured in smiles per miles.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 07:01 PM
Top Contributor

Awesome trip log Scott !! Thanks for putting it up You must keep a great diary - something I need to get better at so I can remember the good times

2004 Vulcan Classic 1500 - carbed
Grips, Freeway pegs, engine guard
Floorboards, Nomad rear seat,
Custom made luggage rack, Windshield & Lowers
Saddlebags, Passenger floorboards,
Passenger armrests
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode