IL tax, title & reg - out of state purchase - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: North Suburbs - Chicago, Illinois
Gender: Male
Posts: 15
Lightbulb IL tax, title & reg - out of state purchase

Hello Illinois residents.

I've been contemplating buying a new bike at a dealer in another state. Naturally they don't handle Illinois tax, title and registrations as part of their sale. The Illinois Secretary of State (SOS) website, provides a wealth of information how to handle this situation if you can search it out.

I thought I would summarize what I have learned for anyone else buying out of state, whether from a dealer or otherwise. I'll concentrate on buying a new machine from a dealer since that is what I am planning myself.

What you will need from the Dealer: (1) Bill of Sale, (2) the Dealer Federal Employer ID Number (F.E.I.N.), and (3) the Manufacturer Certificate of Origin with the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).

Technically you can go to an Illinois Secretary of State (SOS) Facility, an SOS Remittance Agent, or authorized currency exchange. If you go to an SOS Facility check first to make sure they handle Title and Registration, not all Facilities do.

What you will need at the Facility: (1) Above documents from the dealer, (2) your federal taxpayer ID number, (3) two SEPARATE checks, one payable to the Illinois Department of Revenue for the state Use Tax, and one payable to the Illinois Secretary of State for the new Title and Registration, and (4) Proof of Insurance. The current charge for a new Title is now $150, and new random number plate is $41, a personalized plate has an additional charge of $50.

Most people will probably prefer to just have an SOS agent fill out the Title and Registration Application for them, but, if you like, you may do it yourself. The SOS Form is VSD 190, and is available from SOS as a paper form or can be filled out online at the SOS website. The web page for this is: http://https://www.cyberdriveillinoi...tion/pert.html. A checklist for completing the form is at: http://https://www.cyberdriveillinoi...ons/vsd293.pdf

This form (paper or electronic) is necessary if you are going to request anything other than a random number plate. You will need insurance information and the VIN to complete the form. You may consider getting on a computer while at the out-of-state dealer to fill this out. Or you can just have an SOS agent at a Facility complete it for you if you don't mind the waiting time.

The form for the Illinois Use Tax is Ill. Dept. of Revenue RUT-25 (if buying from a dealer) or RUT-50 (if from other than a dealer). Instructions for the Illinois Dept. of Revenue forms are found online at: http:// I am advised by the folks at SOS that the Dept. of Revenue has agents at SOS facilities, and they will insist on calculating the amount of your tax themselves. It's a percentage of the purchase price based on the county of your residence and you can find specific information in the instructions if you want to get an idea of what the amount will be. However it's probably a waste of time to fill out the form in advance.

Once you submit everything at the SOS Facility, they will issue you an Illinois temporary license place (cardboard) on the spot.

Good luck! - Randy
Randy_K is offline  
Sponsored Links

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome