Lincoln NE to San Antonio TX - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Blue
Garage
Lincoln NE to San Antonio TX

The wife wanted to see her daughter and granddaughter, and I wanted to ride the Twisted Sisters, after hearing about them from Poncho Villa. So Lincoln NE to San Antonio. First big trip. Couple hours was the longest we had gone before.

What a trip. The weather was perfect. Not too hot and no rain. We stopped in Oklahoma City to make it a 2 day trip.

Took Highway 81 out of NE to Interstate 35 down to Fort Worth. Got off at Burleson went through Cleburne to Hico and Highway 281 on into San Antonio.

While my wife spent time with her daughter and granddaughter, and went horse back riding and river tubing, I rode the Twisted Sisters and then went to the Alamo.

There is a post - STL MO to San Antonio, TX - where Poncho Villa talks about the ride. It is very accurate. You will want to do the recommended speeds around the twists and turns. Two things I would add. First is that when you are heading north on 335, just before you get to Hiway 41, like half a block, there is a tree on the right hand side of the road. It is a perfect pull out and fluff the tush spot. The other, is that there are a couple of straights with hills that you will want to just crack the throttle open, and give it hell. Just be advised, that at the end of the whoop de doos, there is a 40 MPH turn. The day I rode, there was a butterfly migration or mating season or something going on. There were a billion, quarter size butterfly's in the air. Except for the million that splatted on my wind-screen.

We were going to go to Corpus Christi, but the weather report started to predict thunder storms, so we decided to just head back home. Took I 35 to Pauls Valley, just south of Oklahoma City. Why Pauls Valley? Well, as we were approaching the off ramp, the was a literal line in the road, just past the ramp. North it was soaking wet, south it was bone dry. Took the off-ramp, found the first hotel with an overhang. Twenty minutes later it had stopped raining, but we decided to call it a night. Didn't get too wet, just enough to get the drowned rat discount from the hotel. The next morning we got back on I 35 which turns into highway 81 took it all the way back to NE, took a right on I 80 and we were home.

2192 miles garage to garage.

Later
Butch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160912_160255635.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	176026   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160912_125412808.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	176034   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160912_125245790.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	176042  

Sometimes I get the feeling the whole world is against me, but deep down I know that's not true.
Some smaller countries are neutral. - Robert Orben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 02:08 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2018 Indian Roadmaster
Displacement/CC's: 111 cui
Color: polished bronze over thunder black with silver pinstripe
Garage
Sound like a nice trip. San Antonio is great, but I didn't like CorpusChristi so much.

Cu,
Sven

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb." - Benjamin Franklin

Harley is cult, Victory is cool, but INDIAN is legend !

MY LIFE - MY RULES !
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 05:24 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Silver
Garage
They're called Snout Nosed Moths. They are not as bad this year. I have seen them worse. Glad to hear you had a good time in SA.

"As long as I have the voices in my head, I'll never ride alone."

2006 Vulcan 900 classic
Mustang Day Tripper seat
Cobra Light Bar
Cobra Air Scoop
Cobra short sissy bar
Cobra Lowers
Baron's front and rear pulley
Baron's Big and Nasty pipes
Leatherlyke hard bags
Blue Superbrites LED accent lights
Chrome Woo Loo Air Horn