STL MO to San Antonio, TX - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
STL MO to San Antonio, TX

Hello everyone!

I'll be riding from Missouri to Texas this summer per the topic. I'm planning on taking two days so interstate is not as desired as a scenic route is. In addition, Google suggests there are toll roads if I take the "faster" way.

The alternate route goes through southern MO, AR, etc to get over there.

Anyone have any experience with with either route. Things I want to see in Oklahoma I'll miss if I go through Arkansas or vice versa?

I'm pretty adventurous so I might even make a loop, hitting both routes, and getting another state on my map as long as the toll fees aren't ridiculous.

Comments, suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevin W
STL Missouri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 06:21 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
I've been all over southern and southwest MO, Arkansas, etc. All really great riding. Although the best riding is on the west/southwest side. You could even swing a stop off at Eureka Springs and do the pig trail in Arkansas. That's definitely the way to go, in this one persons opinion! Oklahoma is going to be a bit flatter, more boring.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 06:22 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
By the way, you could stop off in my neck of the woods and trade all of your nice Voyager chrome bits for my silly Vaquero blacked out bits Ha!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 08:31 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Silver
Garage
Going to San Antonio Huh?

"As long as I have the voices in my head, I'll never ride alone."

2006 Vulcan 900 classic
Mustang Day Tripper seat
Cobra Light Bar
Cobra Air Scoop
Cobra short sissy bar
Cobra Lowers
Baron's front and rear pulley
Baron's Big and Nasty pipes
Leatherlyke hard bags
Blue Superbrites LED accent lights
Chrome Woo Loo Air Horn
Avon Grips
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFISH View Post
Going to San Antonio Huh?
Yep!

I like Romans' suggestion about the Pig Trail but I'm not sure I'll be able to work that into the trip. I've got a few weeks to figure it out.

I'm also going to try to get to the Twisted Sisters and see how much of that I can knock out in less than a day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevin W
STL Missouri
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 08:21 AM
wocka, wocka, wocka

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandcrawler View Post
I'm also going to try to get to the Twisted Sisters and see how much of that I can knock out in less than a day.
sandman, you will need the better part of a whole day for this ride. West side of SA ride hiway 16 out to Bandara (kawboy capitol) and then North hiway 16 to Medina. go West 337 is sister #1 to Camp Wood. last chance gas up, do it! go North hiway 55 to Barksdale then 335 North is sister #2. will take you to hiway 41 east to 336 South is sister #3. will take you back to Leakey. turn East back on 337, sister #1 to VanderPool. turn North 187, 5 miles is Lone Star m/c museum. chocked full 200+ of old restored bikes of every mfg from 19xx. old aussie owns/runs this joint. does restoration in the back you can watch. definitely worth the 4bux and hour(s) of yor time.
you will want/need most all day for this ride.

Go slow(er) these roads are full of hairpins and are side lined with Cactus.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TKB3 033.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	114273   Click image for larger version

Name:	TKB3 035.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	114281   Click image for larger version

Name:	TKB3 041.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	114289   Click image for larger version

Name:	TKB3 038.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	114297   Click image for larger version

Name:	TKB3 040.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	114305  

Last edited by Poncho Villa; 05-11-2015 at 03:14 PM.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Thanks for the tips Poncho! I've heard as much about the road conditions but some of the stops you mention are new.

I was planning on driving down on a wed/thursday to SA, then friday morning over to the sisters for the day with the intent to be back in SA around 5PM or so. Now I'm trying to figure out if it might be better to stop near the sisters instead on Thursday then start there Friday before going into SA. I didn't want to pull my trailer behind me on the route which is why I considered going into SA first.

Kevin W
STL Missouri
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 03:12 PM
wocka, wocka, wocka

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandcrawler View Post
Thanks for the tips Poncho! I've heard as much about the road conditions but some of the stops you mention are new.

I was planning on driving down on a wed/thursday to SA, then friday morning over to the sisters for the day with the intent to be back in SA around 5PM or so. Now I'm trying to figure out if it might be better to stop near the sisters instead on Thursday then start there Friday before going into SA. I didn't want to pull my trailer behind me on the route which is why I considered going into SA first.
yor 1st plan is fine. leave the trailer in SA, do you have a place to secure it? you don't want to be pulling it thru the sisters... the kawboys often hoteled up in Kerrville and launched day rides from there..

start your day early at sun up and go west 1hr to Bandara for Breakfast. Medina is a one store town. 337 has some tite and steep turns plus great vistas so pay attention and don't race.. another hour thru Leakey to Campwood. Note the biker/bar on the left/south side just past Leakey. you will be back here for late lunch? at Campwood gas up and go north. 335 runs down across the Nueces River head waters. it is a very desolate part of tejas. if you get hurt here you will probly die b4 anybody knows where to look.. often I will strip down and jump in the river to cool off. enjoy this desert run. it ends at hiway 41 turn east is boring hispeed blacktop till you get to 336. turn rite south. Again this has some tite twist and decending views of valleys. take it all in with moderate posted road speeds, you will do fine. Note all the signs totals of m/c deaths having occurred. it is mostly ZipSplats in leather space suits using public roads as their personal race course.. I think the squirrels stand in the road and try to make them flinch, hit their brakes and eat cacti burgers.. that's the word going round squirrel 4m..
when you get back to Leakey, either go to that biker/bar or stop at one the local diners on main street and get some lunch. after turn left east 337 back up the mtn to Vanderpool. turn left north on 187 to Lone Star museum. you should be there by 2pm..
best straight ride back is 337 to Medina, 16 east thru Bandera. a couple hours max should put you in SA just as everybody is getting off work. yuk!

but the day ride will be worth it. what date are you doing this? mebbe one or another local kawboy mite wanna ride posse? poncho

Last edited by Poncho Villa; 05-11-2015 at 03:31 PM.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 03:27 PM
wocka, wocka, wocka

sand'rs,, twisted sisters are a to do bucket ride. definitely worth doin and specialy on a weekday should be mostly only you out there and maybe a few bikes..
there are a ton of otter killer rides not far from where you will be holed up. if you have more daze to kill and want contingency plans. I will write proper route numbers and way points of interest that will knok yor sox..
these are some pretty interesting rides to have in our backyard. almost as vonderbah as them smokies bak east, but not near as crowded. poncho

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/San+...29.7452234!3e0

Last edited by Poncho Villa; 05-11-2015 at 05:59 PM.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
That's a very detailed route. I'm not a fan of racing through scenery. I'm there to see it so we'll definitely adhere to speed limits and check everything out.

I'm not sure how secure my trailer will really be. We'll be lodging at a hotel where a couple hundred police are going to be. (Reguladores LEMC). Doesn't mean any of them will be watching my trailer though. I'll most likely find somewhere to lock it up.

I'll be travelling from 15 July - 20 July.
15th - knock out at least 450 miles
16th - Ride into San Antonio
17th - Twisted Sisters then back to SA for supper.
18th - Events around San Antonio
19th - half the trip back to STL
20th - Last leg to STL
21st - Wish I wasn't back at work

I do wish I had more time to spend there but the person riding with me and I both have jobs to get back to. We're just taking the vacation time to run down for our club's national meeting, see the sights, and ride back. I knew we had to work the sisters in somehow since we were so close.

Thanks again Poncho! I'd gladly buy you a beer if we can get together down there.

Kevin W
STL Missouri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode