Stop n Go Law for Motorcyclists - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
old

Garage
Stop n Go Law for Motorcyclists

Anybody live in a state that lawfully allows motorcycles to stop at a red light and go through it while still red? Rider safety and signal sensors failing to recognize that a MC is present are two reasons I can think of for allowing it. I'm often concerned about getting "rear ended" while waiting at a signal.

'09 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 08:38 AM

old,

Here's the law that Minnesota has on the books.

MN Red Light Law
169.06 SIGNS, SIGNALS, MARKINGS.
Subd. 9.Affirmative defense relating to unchanging traffic-control signal.
(a) A person operating a bicycle or motorcycle who violates subdivision 4 by entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal against a red light has an affirmative defense to that charge if the person establishes all of the following conditions:
(1) the bicycle or motorcycle has been brought to a complete stop;
(2) the traffic-control signal continues to show a red light for an unreasonable time;
(3) the traffic-control signal is apparently malfunctioning or, if programmed or engineered to change to a green light only after detecting the approach of a motor vehicle, the signal has apparently failed to detect the arrival of the bicycle or motorcycle; and
(4) no motor vehicle or person is approaching on the street or highway to be crossed or entered or is so far away from the intersection that it does not constitute an immediate hazard.
(b) The affirmative defense in this subdivision applies only to a violation for entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal against a red light and does not provide a defense to any other civil or criminal action.

-Steve
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 09:55 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
We do not have it here in Ga., but I frequent Tn. which does allow it. There you must wait a reasonable time for it to change. If it does not change after 2 cycles or about 2 minutes, you can proceed if safe and does not effect other traffic. If you are involved in an accident doing so, you are at fault reguardless of how it happened. I got stuck at a light here in Ga. last weekend that would not change, had about 12-15 cars behind me. Next car behind me ran it after awhile. A couple minutes later I did also. After the car then behind me pulled up, it changed, I saw the light turn yellow in my mirror, then red.Once the car pulled up to where I was, it changed. I sat there about 5-7 minutes waiting.

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 11:48 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Here in MO; we have a similar law to what's been posted. You cannot stop, put a foot down, then take off. You have to wait an "unreasonable amount of time". Meaning you've been stuck there for a couple of minutes and it's obvious the light isn't going to change. The law is meant to solve the issue of motorcycles not tripping the magnetic sensors under the street. Some states have laws requiring a set amount of 'cycles'. The only time I've "used it" though was a light that didn't cycle. I was turning left across a four-lane state highway, which; of course, has a light. All four lanes had a green light and the left-turn lane, which would've caused the eastbound lanes lights to turn red so I could make the turn, is always red unless there's a car there (no reason to stop traffic for an unoccupied lane; especially when traffic is moving 65mph!). After sitting for a couple of minutes, I finally went through when there was no traffic.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 11:56 AM

I live in mn as well and i have run the red before however i won't run it until i have backed the bike up at least twice to try and re trip the sensor, figure I'll make it look like I'm trying if the cops decide to pull me over.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 12:45 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan
Displacement/CC's: 1500FI
Color: Ebony Black/Galaxy Silver
Garage
Texas has no such provision. There are traffic lights in my town that will not "see" my bike. At those intersections, I try to line up directly over the "V" ( > ) where the pavement cut lines cross, that is where the sensor is. It has worked once or twice, when it doesn't I will go on when the roads are clear, if not I move up as much as I can and the car behind me moves up, then the sensor finds the car..... Either way it is a hassle, because just like above if I am involved in a wreck it's my baby if I live through it....

06 1500 Classic FI (Anniversary Edition)
Reward the truth, punish the liars...Ted Nugent
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 06:36 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Silver
Garage
Anybody have one of these? I have thought of getting one but don't know if it really works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GRP-29071g_is.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	102042  

"As long as I have the voices in my head, I'll never ride alone."

2006 Vulcan 900 classic
Mustang Day Tripper seat
Cobra Light Bar
Cobra Air Scoop
Cobra short sissy bar
Cobra Lowers
Baron's front and rear pulley
Baron's Big and Nasty pipes
Leatherlyke hard bags
Blue Superbrites LED accent lights
Chrome Woo Loo Air Horn
Avon Grips
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 09:04 AM

TN has it. The talk I've heard deliberately misunderstands to think you can run red lights, cut across oncoming traffic, etc. Stupid people.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 10:11 AM

Yes in TN we can go on a red light after coming to a complete stop and ensuring it is safe to proceed if the light has not changed after a cycle. Once you know the roads you learn which lights will not recognize you so then you are prepared to go if it is safe.

Live life like there is no tomorrow
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 02:37 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
In Illinois 625 ILCS 5/11-306 (c) covers this. It's legal in any city with a population less than 2 Million, which I think just outlaws the practice in Chicago. After a 120 second wait a motorcyclist can proceed as long as it's safe to do so.

Kevin W
STL Missouri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode