Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums - View Single Post - Wearing helmet = tension headache.
View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 12:17 PM
CRU

Displacement/CC's: 1600
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVA-Voyager View Post
I just recently saw a video on Revzilla about the difference between round helmets designs and oval designs. the 2 different styles are meant to accommodate the 2 basic head shapes. I never new that different manufacturers design in different ways. This has never been explained to me before, even from my dealer when I bought my first street bike in 2005, or my 4th helmet from them just late last year. I have always bought a helmet based on how it looks and feels from the test fit at the shop/store. I have always had a hotspot on the forehead after 2 hours or so with every helmet I wore. Just figured it was normal, and never complained as I had to make a gas stop a little after that time anyways, which gave me a break

After seeing this video however, I now understand that there are the 2 basic design types. My next helmet will be an oval design and I'm anxious to see the difference in long-term wearing (found out after research my previous helmets have always been a round design).
Round and oval are the two basic ones, but there's a lot of grey in between them. It's closer to five or six shapes. A lot of people can fit into at least two shapes comfortably. I wear a long oval now, but my old helmet was an intermediate oval. Actually had to take an overhead picture of my head to figure it out. A true round helmet crushes my forehead something fierce. This will give you an idea of just how many shapes and who makes which.

Motorcycle Helmet Shapes - webBikeWorld

2008 Mean Streak Candy Fire Red
Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered exhaust
Dyno tuned Power Commander III & K&N air filter
Corbin Young Guns saddle/Kawi Fire & Steel "Touring" Double saddle
Mapam forward controls
Kuryakyn Constellation LED driving lights w/turn signals
Kuryakyn ISO grips w/stiletto end caps
Kawi OEM backrest
Kawi Fire & Steel windshield
Bad Ace Billet handlebar risers
Signal Dynamics BackOFF XP brake light module