Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

The link to this pic is off the chain!

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Hatrick3 
#1 ·
Sorry for the puns in the title, I couldn't help myself. Lol
Going from a VN750 to an 800 Classic, I'm new to chain maintenance and such. The other day (I just bought it the week before) I heard a clicking start from the chain area, so I lifted the back end up and saw this. It looked like a couple links were sticking, so I sprayed some cleaner on it and then chain lube. As I'm going around, it looks like it's still not fitting into the sprocket correctly, and the outside rivet might be broken (right side of the picture... Not sure if that shows up well enough). I'm thinking a new chain and sprockets might be needed? Or is there a fix for that? Not real sure.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks! I'll go ahead and change out both sprockets and chain, then. Any recommendations on what to get or where? There seem to be a lot of particulars on number of teeth, pitch (which I guess is a diameter measure?), number of links, and I don't know what else. I didn't realize there were so many options. Lol

#4 ·
IMHO, in most ordinary cases the stock 42/17 ratio would be fine. If no modifications, I would also go for a standard middle price segment O-ring (or even X-ring) chain. I would buy a chain and sprocket kit, just to be sure that a combination of materials will last as long as possible. My price segment would be about 150$ for "D.I.D". But that's me. That's only me :)
Anyone can disagree. ;)

#5 ·
I just swapped out my chain and sprockets yesterday, went with steel Sunstar sprockets - 40 rear/18 front. 114-link JT Sprockets X-ring chain. Total cost was <$130 from amazon.

The 40/18 isn't quite the same as stock, but they fit just fine. I got them to lower highway cruising RPM a little. You lose a tiny bit of power on the low end but gain longer gears (i.e. you can shift later when accelerating).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.