Gonna b in N.Fla/S.Georgia middle of June - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Gonna b in N.Fla/S.Georgia middle of June

HEY U'ALL...I'm gonna be on vacation and up in Madison Florida June 15th-22nd. Originally I was gonna do a 5 day loop leaving from my friend Billy's house but plans have changed. So it looks like I will be doing some day trips thru the week I am staying with him.
So if there are any forum members that live in N. Fla or S.Georgia that would like to meet up for b/fast-lunch or a ride please contact me. I'd like to meet up.

RACNRAY

"TRUE HAPPINESS IS IN THE HEART,NOT IN THE OUTSIDE FIXES!!"
WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
"WE LIVE OUR LIVES IN CHAINS NEVER KNOWING WE HAD THE KEY"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 12:43 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Kawasaki Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red
NOT FAR ENOUGH! Come on, you'll love Nashville!

Jerry "Old Bear" Barker
Clarksville, TN
Americas Guardians PS MC
Tennessee 16-A Chapter
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
NOT FAR ENOUGH! Come on, you'll love Nashville!
THANX JERRY...it's on my bucket list.

OK...either peeps from those areas havn't read this thread, or a song my mom used to sing when I was a kid comes to mind...

"no one likes me, everyone hates me, guess I'll go eat worms"!

I'm leaving tomorrow morn, hope to meet SOMEONE!!!

RACNRAY

WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!

Last edited by RACNRAY; 06-13-2013 at 02:57 PM.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Well, last week was my summer vacation. Trucked the Vaq up to Madsion Fl. and spent the week with my best friend Billy, Billy's son and Billy's mom. Billy went to kindergarten with my next younger brother, and he started coming over to my street to play when we were kids. When my dad brought home the first skoot and I got into ridin (a 125 enduro), Billy's dad got him a 185 enduro and we rode together everywhere. I have known him for 47+ years.
My original plan was to spend 2 days with him and then do a 5 day ride, aiming to get into Arkansas. A forum member was nice enuff to offer info on good roads and that made it all the more appealing.

Arrival at Billy's place...

Unfortunately I had to change my plans and decided to do some day rides and spend the rest of the time hanging with Billy and his son. Worked out perfect. Saturday we went to a watermellon festival in Monticello Fl. Got some good watermellon, then I took them out for father's day lunch on Sunday. Since I had also brought my bicycle I did some bike riding around his area. Saw a donkey grazing by the roadside and stopped to say hi. It was friendly but after a while the rest of the donkeys must of thought I had food, about 20 more showed up! I had nothing to offer, and as I rode away they were prolly calling me an azz!!

2 very handsome dudes...NOT!!

I rode mon-wed-and friday. Monday's ride I split the ride between Fl and Ga but mostly in Ga. Found some good roads, good riding and did 295 mls.
Tuesday we went over to Tallahasse to an antique car museum, saw some neat cars, and neat stuff.

Look at the compression ratio for this Ford...

A VERY COOL AMC...

A cool collection and display of pedal cars...

Wednesday's ride i stayed in Fl. Rode over to the panhandle along the coast and stopped at Carribelle Beach. Relaxed a bit and saw this plaque explaining how this beach was used to train troops for the D-Day invasion of Normandy. As I like to know as much as possible about WW2, i was very interseted to learn this...

Left the coast and headed North thru the Apalachicola Nat'l Forest. Nice but my map showed a few towns on the way that I thought I could gas up. Towns turned into just a few trailers and my gas light was on, had been on. I saw couple of farmers and stopped to inquire about the nearest gas. 20 miles up the road. I was already showing 201 mls on this tank! So that leg was ridden with much aprehension, straightening out the curves, coasting down the hills and trying to keep the speeds beow 50mph. This was the miles on that tank when I finally got to a gas station where the skoot took in 5.2 gallons!!

Boy was I a happy guy, and not to pat myself on the back, grateful for my tuning and overall set-up! That day ended up being a 349.2 mile day. It was also on this day the Vaq clicked past the 39,000 mile mark!

Thurdsday we went up to Tifton Ga. to the H/D dealer as Billy had a H/D and I/we wanted to check out the skoots. They had one CVO on the floor that was 39,000+ $$$$$$$$ WOW!!

I have always loved the pin-up girls of the 40's and saw this t-shirt, she just caught my eye. My next tatoo was gonna have a pin-up girl in it and I finally found her

Friday's ride was in Ga and I stopped back at the H/D dealership and ,sorry guys, just had to buy that t-shirt!! That day's ridin amounted to 376.1 mls.

Funny thing, about 4 miles from Billy's house i started hearing a not so good noise coming from the engine, which turned out to be from the top of the rear cylinder head. Kinda sounded like lots of valve clarance from a collapsed hydraulic lash adjuster. It did not go away. I think the Vaq was NOT happy bout that t-shirt!!

Got the skoot back down here and it still was ticking. Using my mechanic's stethascope I could tell it was from the rear cylinder's left exhaust valve. In talking to car guys they suggested the Rislone engine treatment saying that stuff had fixed collapsed lifters on their cars. So out came the fairly new Amsoil, in went some cheap Advanced auto parts 20-50 and a quart of the Rislone. Cranked it up and withn 20 minutes the noise was gone. Go figure, and it took over 39,000 miles for this to happen. I'm gonna run this oil mix for 100 or so miles, if it stays quite it'll get dumped and the Amsoil goes back in.

All in all it was a great vacation.

RACNRAY

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 04:52 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Ray if you ever do make it up a little farther north one of these days; like up around Lake of the Ozarks in MO; or something close to me- I'll buy ya lunch!

You gotta get out of Florida sometime!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 05:49 PM
Top Contributor

If you're ever in the I-95/I-20 Florence SC area, breakfast or lunch would be great.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 06:35 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Kawasaki Vaquero
Color: Red
I still think Ray needs to use all that $$$ he has saved up and put his shop in a big ol' trailer and just go on the road! There are enough of us on here to keep him busy doing nothing but driving around the country working on Vulcans! Good thing Ray is independently wealthy, so this shouldn't be any problem at all!

Jerry "Old Bear" Barker
Clarksville, TN
Americas Guardians PS MC
Tennessee 16-A Chapter
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 06:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
THANX JERRY...it's on my bucket list.

OK...either peeps from those areas havn't read this thread, or a song my mom used to sing when I was a kid comes to mind...

RACNRAY
You're right Ray, I never read this forum, I'll have to change that. Too late now, but I would be happy to deliver a can of gas if you ever find yourself in a bind up this way again. Alot of the areas you rode look very familiar but I wasn't aware of the museum in Tallahassee, I'll have to check that out.

2011 Black Vaquero SOLD

Power Commander V
Rifle 10.5" Dark Gray Shield
Kuryakyn Tour Techs w/ dually highway pegs
Iso Grips, RACNRAY modded
Mustang Touring Seat w/Driver Backrest
KQR Backrest w/Mustang sissy bar pad
Auxiliary Lights
Ipod/DC Adapters
Saddlebag Liners
Polk 5.25" Speakers
Passenger Floorboards
Vance/Hines Slip Ons
DEI 2.5 Header Wrap
Engine Ice
Backoff XP Brake Light Module
Chuckster's Risers
Stebel Nautilus Air Horn
Michelin Commander II's
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 09:32 PM
Top Contributor

Why would a Vaquero be in the back of a truck?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbark View Post
You're right Ray, I never read this forum, I'll have to change that. Too late now, but I would be happy to deliver a can of gas if you ever find yourself in a bind up this way again. Alot of the areas you rode look very familiar but I wasn't aware of the museum in Tallahassee, I'll have to check that out.
I was thru Hahira on Friday's ride, sorry we missed each other!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark edward marchiafava View Post
Why would a Vaquero be in the back of a truck?
WELL...I thought I have bad eyes (wait, let's not kid myself,I DO!) but you missed the BICYCLE sharing the truck bed with my skoot?!

As an avid cyclist I did some riding around Billy's area. Down here in S. Fla the only hills we have are called bridges, and where Billy lives there are lotsa hills. I gots myself some real good workouts ridin up those hills, tho coming down was fun!!

Kinda hard to bring along a bicycle on a Vaquero, don't ya think??

RACNRAY

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode