IBA SS 1000 - 11/3 Woodstock, GA - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

IBA SS 1000 - 11/3 Woodstock, GA

I am going to be running a SaddleSore 1000 out of Woodstock on the 3rd. I will probably be running solo, but if someone else wants to come along and is in the area please feel free. I am going to be riding down to New Orleans Metarie Area to get a po-boy at my favorite place and then heading back. I will be stopping in Greenville, AL for a 3-4 nap at a hotel and then completing the journey. It's going to be grueling, I am going to be leaving around 4 in the morning.

I am going to ask one of my buddies if he wants to come along, but I really don't think his bike is outfitted for this style of endurance riding. However, if anyone else feels like coming around feel free to jump on it.

09 Nomad 1700
07 Shadow vt750c2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 06:42 PM
Lifetime Premium

What is your fuel distance?
Why the nap in Alabama, you could easily make it back by dark to Woodstock. Leave at 4 am put you in Metaire around 11am local, eat and turn around be back by 7:30pm
Looks like google ma puts it at about 999 round trip. You need another 100 miles for the safety net percentage. I have known two other guy who clocked 1045 miles via GPS but didn't have a fuel receipt to corroborate the out out route extra miles, their straight line, like your, only came to 991 miles. They didn't get their certificates.

'98 800a w/aluminum wheels/tubeless tires
Iron Butt Ass.#34911

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Hi Bob,

Thank you kindly for the advice and input.

I have a nomad 1700, so go about 150 miles before fillup.

I am actually a little north of woodstock, so my starting point is 2295 Towne Lake Parkway Woodstock, GA 30189 and my turn around point is 8016 West Metairie Avenue Metairie, LA 70003.

This shows it as 505 each way when putting it into google maps. Maybe I should start a little bit north and it would pad another 20-30 miles onto the trip. I planned on padding about an extra 20-30 miles over 1k, but do you think I need to do more? I was planning on driving a little distance after the po-boy location to find a gas-station as a turning around spot (was going to research a gas station about 5 miles further than the come back inn (po-boy spot). I could also take the I-59 route instead of 85/65/10 which is 518 each way from my starting point according to google maps.

Any additional information would be greatly appreciated. If need be I can head north a little for my start/stop location.

Normally by car with only one stop it takes me about 6 1/2-7 hrs to get down there. Google maps shows 8 hrs each way. I wasn't sure if I was planning on stopping every hour or just going the 150 and getting off. Normally I just go from fuel stop to fuel stop and have been fine doing this in the past. This was also on a much more uncomfortable bike than the nomad is. I might just skip the nap in Alabama, but wanted to make sure I did this as safely as possible. I also thought about just packing a small sleeping bag and mat incase I needed to pull over and just get a quick 20 minute nap on the side of the road somewhere.

09 Nomad 1700
07 Shadow vt750c2

Last edited by Corigan; 10-09-2012 at 07:19 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Lifetime Premium

30 miles extra each way doesn't sound like much but when you start seeing the signs telling you how far from home you are it'll sink in!
In 2008 I did a BB1500 on my Yamaha, only preparation for the trip other than fresh tires and an oil change was riding every morning for a week for an hour or so before the sun came up. When I drove a truck for a living that was my "wall" time. If I made it 30 minutes past sunup I was good until dark, even after being on the seat hammering all night long. I knew if I could clear that hurdle I would be fine.
Left home, near Lexington Ky at 4AM, met a friend in Effingham Il and he and I chased the sun all day. 22 hours later I had 1405 of the intended 1700 miles whipped. My friend started in Van Wert Ohio so his distance to our meet spot was 12 miles greater than mine, and at 1350 miles we were far enough ahead that we decided to motel for 3 hours. We still made the full 1600 miles in under 30 hours even with the motel stop. Our rolling average was a mere 63mph or so.
My bike was a great hindrance to our average speed. Running interstate speeds my mileage dropped to 38mpg and we had to refill every 130 miles or so. His BMW still had over half a tank at each stop.

'98 800a w/aluminum wheels/tubeless tires
Iron Butt Ass.#34911

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 01:51 PM

Garage
I have done the SS1000 twice. I agree with giving yourself about a 3O mile safety margin. I left Tampa, Fl to St. Lous, MS and slept in between for about 4 hours at a hotel. The clerk thought I was nuts for a wake up call right after I checked in. I did not count on heavy traffic in downtown St. Louis and almost missed my time by 15 minutes.
The second trip was a north ride with my wife on her bike to N. Georgia and then back down to Alligator Alley then home again. Hit a car fire on Alligator Alley that stopped me for about an hour and a half. No sleep and made it in plenty of time.
I am wanting to do the BB1500 but have not had time to set up for it. It is in my future ride though.
It's addicting!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode