Riding partners - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Riding partners

I can understand groups having rules of the road for safety, but so many groups have constitutions, a dozen pages long, requiring dues and obligations beyond your family. What ever happened to a few friends just getting together for a ride to a favorite restaurant in a nearby town or a day trip to the lake? Some groups spend more time in meetings and on business than enjoying the ride. Guess I had enough rules in the military, business and even for hospice from Medicare, Medicaid, insurance companies and hospice providers. Find some friends, set a time and date, and enjoy the ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Top Contributor

My guy and I rarely ride with "friends". They either don't ride enough, or don't ride hard enough, or even know how to have any fun while out riding. We do, however, ride with his club. Yeah, it's a MC, with rules and dues and colors and restrictions and bylaws and everything else that goes along with it. But, for people that ride with a club (not an AMA fanily club or Christian Colors organization or Vulcan modifiers club), there is usually a LOT more involved than. Just going on an occasional Saturday ice cream ride. Those guys get as tight as brothers, if not tighter. The bylaws are there, for the most part, to keep it from becoming an AMA family club, or Christian Values club, or other such Charlie Foxtrot.

"I taught your boyfriend that thing you like . . . "

Vulcan 900 Classic

Harley Davidson Road King (103")
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Hrhz: I understand what you are saying and that's fine if it's your thing. I served in the USMC in the 60's & 70's, most of my friends are vets and I serve as a hospice veteran's affairs coordinator for terminally ill vets, many who ran with the fast crowd. So I understand about brotherhood, etc. I'm also a member of the SCV, again, a brotherhood. I've also done my share of weight lifting, martial arts and am on my 9th bike, everything from street bikes, trail bikes, touring machines and now my second cruiser, probably before you were born. Had both my arm and leg in a cast (at different times), not to mention those times I walked away and the near misses. But I reached a point in my life where I know what it means to have friends that don't require a constitution to hold us together. As a counselor, I am in contact with many who ran with the wild crowd in their youth and now are paying the price. As for riding hard, I have a friend from high school with a big hole where his skull use to be and doesn't recognize his own family. Just last week I visited my cousin in the hospital with his head held in place by a halo. Both were single bike accidents with no car involved. Nothing wrong with slowing down and enjoying the ride and view. Hope you stay safe.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 09:41 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
Hrhz: I understand what you are saying and that's fine if it's your thing. I served in the USMC in the 60's & 70's, most of my friends are vets and I serve as a hospice veteran's affairs coordinator for terminally ill vets, many who ran with the fast crowd. So I understand about brotherhood, etc. I'm also a member of the SCV, again, a brotherhood. I've also done my share of weight lifting, martial arts and am on my 9th bike, everything from street bikes, trail bikes, touring machines and now my second cruiser, probably before you were born. Had both my arm and leg in a cast (at different times), not to mention those times I walked away and the near misses. But I reached a point in my life where I know what it means to have friends that don't require a constitution to hold us together. As a counselor, I am in contact with many who ran with the wild crowd in their youth and now are paying the price. As for riding hard, I have a friend from high school with a big hole where his skull use to be and doesn't recognize his own family. Just last week I visited my cousin in the hospital with his head held in place by a halo. Both were single bike accidents with no car involved. Nothing wrong with slowing down and enjoying the ride and view. Hope you stay safe.

Totally my thing. My guy is a Marine, too - and so are most of the people he chooses to ride with (He used to come around here, but you guys thought he was "mean" . . . LOL) . I do know what you mean, though - there's club has another chapter with mostly old gus, and they don't ride near as hard. They do go to Bob Evans weekly, and things like that. So, not everybody has it in 'em. And, you probably did have a cruiser before I was born - I'm only in my forties. We all get there eventually! LOL

I say everybody should ride how they want. By all means, enjoy the view. We do a lot, too. But sometimes, it's time to put the hammer down! LOL

Vulcan 900 Classic

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 09:54 PM
Top Contributor

I ride solo... my time, my rules.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Solo and getting there

I rode in a group of five in the 60's, with three on trail bikes in the 70's (loved when they were building I-20), alone on the other bikes in the 80's, until the touring (Suzuki Cavalcade) around 1990. Wife and I rode together. When you get older you realize that you don't heal as fast and old injuries come back to haunt you. Now, a few friends and I realize we might not be able to ride much longer. So after eight years without a bike, am giving it one last hurrah. Thought about joining one of several groups located nearby, but too many rules for us old guys set in our ways. And being Southerners, we're independent by birth. Also, as you get older and especially with hospice, we see friends and others starting to drop one by one. You'll "make it there" if you are careful, don't take chances and are blessed. Hope you do. :-)
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 11:11 PM
Top Contributor

Thanks for the kind words! I hope to live a long time, but hope I never make it "there". I prefer to take some chances here and there - otherwise life it pretty boring. Besides, I'd rather die while I'm living, than live while I'm dead! LOL

Vulcan 900 Classic

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 11:11 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
I ride with a group (CMA) quite a bit. Local chapter has monthly meetings and that's about it on the bureaucracy side. Handle business, takes a couple hours, then we go eat! hehe. No dues, we get enough donations to handle everything we need and then some. Not like we have a lot of overhead really. We meet every friday night for a short ride and plan rides and stuff at various times, sometimes just to get a bite to eat, sometimes working alongside other groups for charity events, or to go to bike shows and things like that. Certainly not as hardcore or anything as a lot of the MC's and stuff like that, but that's not my speed anyway. I like to sit back with a small group of close knit friends and ride and enjoy the scenery. I really think group riding, whether it's a big MC running 110 or just a couple of your buddies cruising down some old road, can be a lot of fun. It's not for everyone though. But I think if you find some folks who like to ride like you do, and go to the places you like to go, you can have a blast sharing those experiences.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 11:23 PM
Top Contributor

I got 2 friends some times 3 and we do day rides on the weekend, the only rule we really have is be there at the time we agreed upon , during the week or the weekend day we don't ride I do alot of solo riding , I like both.

95 800A
Memphis shades Demon
Vance & Hines Cruzers
Jardine Rack
Kuryakyn Dually pegs
Baron Risers
Kuryakyn ISO grips
Kuryakyn long horn hwy pegs
Wille&Max saddle bags
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 11:43 PM

Location: Deep in the heart of the NW part of a major metro area in the SE part of a very large SW state.
I typically ride with friends (what few I have left ;-)), relatives (what few I can still tolerate), meet-up groups (http://motorcycle.meetup.com --- which are, generally, quite accepting of idiosyncrasies and quirks) and solo. Even at my not-yet-so-advanced age, I have learned to just have a good time at it all.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode