Thoughts on the new Harley’s? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 11Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 11:37 AM
Member
 
gwaihir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Munich, Germany
Year/Make/Model: 2007 Kawasaki VN1600 Mean Streak
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Color: Black
Gender: Male
Posts: 61
Garage
[QUOTE=Lucros;2998670]A Harley does not cost as much as a H2, that’s all model dependent. The new m8 engines are nice I was more speaking specifically of the new bikes, the electric, adventure, street fighter, and 1250 Custom

You are right, not all Harleys are that expensive. Small displacement bikes are cheaper, but compared to others still too much.
However, those bikes are not considerd as "real Harleys". It's more a girl or boy bike. A real Harley must have 100cui or 1600ccm (or really old). Those are in the price range of highly sophisticated super sport bikes - with ancient technology. Since I'm a tech guy, that's a "no go" for me.
Lucros likes this.
gwaihir is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 12:02 PM
Top Contributor
 
VN750Guy**'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Fredrickson Washington
Year/Make/Model: 2006
Displacement/CC's: 750
Color: Red/black
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,061
Garage
My 750 is early 80's technology, and overall visual design. As far as the technology side goes I find it works well enough for me.

I would prefer to have ABS but I can get along without it. You guys can keep fuel injection. Too many threads in here about "fuel pressure issues" or fuel pump problems or warning lights etc etc.

Fuel injection gives better gas mileage, yes, starts easier perhaps, yes, but I'll stick with my carbs for now.

As far as having GPS, I've wired it to accept that. There's not much more tech stuff to think about.

Chris Cochran
Retired USAF '74 to '95 AMMO
Engine guard with highway pegs
Luggage rack
GPS on RAM handlebar mount
MCCTs replaced ACCTs
Iridium plugs: DPR7EIX-9
Custom made seat (verrry comfortable)
LED turn signals with rear signals relocated
LED license plate holder
Hard mounted Viking saddlebags
Hard mounted fork tool bag (free from Viking)
LED running lights on custom light bar
National Cycles Low Boy Heavy Duty windshield
Home made lowers
VN750Guy** is offline  
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 07:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Synycalwon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bham
Year/Make/Model: Sold 16 Vulcan S ABS Cafe (replaced by Z900)
Gender: Male
Posts: 121
Like VN750Guy** I've never been a fan of Harley's, more so an 80's metric cruiser fan. So I was disheartened when all of them started putting out Harley clones. They finally came back to their senses a bit with the Vulcan S (picked one up back in January as I was looking for a new bike), so I like the change of direction Harley is going with these new bikes. I especially like the look of the Streetfighter, reminds me of a Ducati Diavel. But one thing that jumps out at me is the placement of that exhaust pipe coming off the back of engine, looks like it's right under and inside your leg which could pose a heat problem (guess they didn't learn much from the Street Rod and that foot pad on top of the exhaust). Ultimately though I think price will be the deciding factor on these new bikes, if they're not competitively priced (cheaper than what Harley's typically go for) they'll be DOA.
Lucros likes this.
Synycalwon is offline  
 
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Lucros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 60
Garage
[quote=gwaihir;2998802]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucros View Post
A Harley does not cost as much as a H2, that’s all model dependent. The new m8 engines are nice I was more speaking specifically of the new bikes, the electric, adventure, street fighter, and 1250 Custom



You are right, not all Harleys are that expensive. Small displacement bikes are cheaper, but compared to others still too much.

However, those bikes are not considerd as "real Harleys". It's more a girl or boy bike. A real Harley must have 100cui or 1600ccm (or really old). Those are in the price range of highly sophisticated super sport bikes - with ancient technology. Since I'm a tech guy, that's a "no go" for me.


No I hear you I worked computer repair for 6 years, as for the girl/boy bike thing that’s just dumb people there’s no such thing as a “girl” bike or a “boy” bike (I mean maybe if ones baby blue and the others pink idk lol)
The fact that the majority of there product line is STILL air cooled absolutely baffles me but that’s what the old Harley purists want so that’s what they get

I really sincerely hope the new bikes do a good job at bringing in a younger more progressive fan base. I feel kinda bad for them because Trumps sitting there yelling about how hard he’s going to tax them (which should be a blatant abuse of power to go after a company because you don’t agree with a decision) but the reason there opening a factory in the EU is directly his fault



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lucros is offline  
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Lucros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 60
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Guy** View Post
My 750 is early 80's technology, and overall visual design. As far as the technology side goes I find it works well enough for me.



I would prefer to have ABS but I can get along without it. You guys can keep fuel injection. Too many threads in here about "fuel pressure issues" or fuel pump problems or warning lights etc etc.



Fuel injection gives better gas mileage, yes, starts easier perhaps, yes, but I'll stick with my carbs for now.



As far as having GPS, I've wired it to accept that. There's not much more tech stuff to think about.


I can’t decide if I like carb or not (my 500 has a carb), but it would be nice to have fuel injection for if it’s cold. That being said I live in Florida where it feels like Satan is using you as a scrub brush every day -_-


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lucros is offline  
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 03:26 PM
Member
 
gwaihir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Munich, Germany
Year/Make/Model: 2007 Kawasaki VN1600 Mean Streak
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Color: Black
Gender: Male
Posts: 61
Garage
Even if I personally not a Harley fan, they did many things right.
They created a lifestyle including bikes, outfit, events,...
Many people just want to be part of that community.
As with other lifestyle products, price or quality doesn't matter.
Apple: Hipsters pay any price for Computers and Smartphones.
Fashion: Made in cheap Asian Countries, but with the right name on it any price is paid.
etc...
Every couple years, motorcyle industry tries to get a share of the Harley market.
No real success, no matter what quality or technology they offer.
At least in Europe, in 2018 all large displacement cruisers from other companies than Harley (and a few Indian) will disappear.
In general, large heavy bikes become diffcult to sell. Only the luxury Honda Goldwing and BMW K1600 seem to survive, but on a low level. No 1 selling bike in Europe is the BMW 1200GS. Two times more than No 2. So bikes seem to go into the same direction as cars: SUV's become top seller....
Lucros likes this.
gwaihir is offline  
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 06:31 PM
Top Contributor
 
VN750Guy**'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Fredrickson Washington
Year/Make/Model: 2006
Displacement/CC's: 750
Color: Red/black
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,061
Garage
Potato-potato-potato...…. oh THAT SOUND seems to go deep into our collective chromosomes. If nothing else, Harley did inject that sound into the souls of millions of people over several generations.

Other manufacturers have copied the sound much to the happiness of even more millions of riders/generations.

Same with old school muscle cars. Lordy I LOVED the sound of high-lift, long duration rough idling big blocks. The advent of multiple valves per cylinder tended to get the desired effect from the motors but lost that intensely satisfying ground shaking grunt of 396/454 Rat motored Chevy's or 440/426 Mopars.

Things evolve, though. Today, while the actual output of power has increased from automobile engines, the cellular-level joy of "feeling and hearing" POWER at idle is gone. Its no surprise that motorcycles are also going through changes.

Be that as it may, if given the chance to take an old school big block Chevelle, Mustang (my favorite), Charger, GTO, etc, or a new school Charger or Camaro, I'll go old school every time as they just emotionally "feel" muscular, even though intellectually I know a new machine will win in almost any head-to-head comparison.

I also would prefer an older school Nomad over anything BMW (just to use as an example) produces. But...….. who am I to stand in the way of change?
Lucros likes this.

Chris Cochran
Retired USAF '74 to '95 AMMO
Engine guard with highway pegs
Luggage rack
GPS on RAM handlebar mount
MCCTs replaced ACCTs
Iridium plugs: DPR7EIX-9
Custom made seat (verrry comfortable)
LED turn signals with rear signals relocated
LED license plate holder
Hard mounted Viking saddlebags
Hard mounted fork tool bag (free from Viking)
LED running lights on custom light bar
National Cycles Low Boy Heavy Duty windshield
Home made lowers
VN750Guy** is offline  
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 06:49 PM
Top Contributor
 
VN750Guy**'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Fredrickson Washington
Year/Make/Model: 2006
Displacement/CC's: 750
Color: Red/black
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,061
Garage
Another thought comes to mind again. I must commend Harley on picking the size-range of new bikes (1000-ish to 1200-ish). I have long, long thought Kawasaki is making a mistake in not having a true mid-sized offering. The 900 is nice but something in the 1200/1300 size range would be something great to have as an option.

Perhaps a downsized Nomad in that size/weight would be a great seller and go far in keeping the aging rider population in the saddle for longer periods of time.

I'm about to turn 64. My Vn750 weighs in at 483 lbs butt naked but with the bags/engine guard/highway pegs/luggage rack/windshield etc on it she easily passes 520 lbs without my fat ass on it.

As much as I REALLY would like to have a Nomad, I just don't want the extra weight. BUT, I wouldn't be put-off by a 1200/1300 bagger weighing in around 600 lbs.

Kawasaki needs to concentrate on making a true, mid sized cruiser/light touring machine. Something that gets good gas mileage yet has enough oomph to go cross country two-up, comfortably.

AND you can get the potato-potato-potato going.
Lucros and a99miata like this.

Chris Cochran
Retired USAF '74 to '95 AMMO
Engine guard with highway pegs
Luggage rack
GPS on RAM handlebar mount
MCCTs replaced ACCTs
Iridium plugs: DPR7EIX-9
Custom made seat (verrry comfortable)
LED turn signals with rear signals relocated
LED license plate holder
Hard mounted Viking saddlebags
Hard mounted fork tool bag (free from Viking)
LED running lights on custom light bar
National Cycles Low Boy Heavy Duty windshield
Home made lowers
VN750Guy** is offline  
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Lucros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 60
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Guy** View Post
Another thought comes to mind again. I must commend Harley on picking the size-range of new bikes (1000-ish to 1200-ish). I have long, long thought Kawasaki is making a mistake in not having a true mid-sized offering. The 900 is nice but something in the 1200/1300 size range would be something great to have as an option.



Perhaps a downsized Nomad in that size/weight would be a great seller and go far in keeping the aging rider population in the saddle for longer periods of time.



I'm about to turn 64. My Vn750 weighs in at 483 lbs butt naked but with the bags/engine guard/highway pegs/luggage rack/windshield etc on it she easily passes 520 lbs without my fat ass on it.



As much as I REALLY would like to have a Nomad, I just don't want the extra weight. BUT, I wouldn't be put-off by a 1200/1300 bagger weighing in around 600 lbs.



Kawasaki needs to concentrate on making a true, mid sized cruiser/light touring machine. Something that gets good gas mileage yet has enough oomph to go cross country two-up, comfortably.



AND you can get the potato-potato-potato going.


To be honest I don’t think I’ve ever heard a bike from anyone else that from factory sounds like a Harley, that is one thing HD definitely has going for it is they sound fantastic, especially with the right pipes


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lucros is offline  
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 11:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 189
I enjoyed reading this old thread, because I have owned allot of bikes over the years - many of them, Harleys. A couple of thoughts:
The Sportster is not a "Chick Bike", but the updated version of what used to be one of the lightest, fastest Harleys on the market.
The " Harley Tax" referred to the extra money you had to spend to modify your Harley carburetor and exhaust,to undermine the government imposed emission restrictions on carbureted motorcycles.
Harley's new ownership of 12 investors, including Willey G. Davidson, got Ronald Reagan to support a tariff on Japanese motorcycles, over 900 cc's. This was to help H.D. regain market share, after the disastrous AMF ownership.
The unique, "Potato-Potato" sound of the Harley Davidson v twin, came as a result of a v-2 engine, with a single carburetor, with the piston rods attached to a single journal of the crankshaft. Modern Harleys have lost this unique sound due to fuel injection and increased idle speeds.
The "Dark Custom" look of the new Harleys leave me cold. It also makes me suspicious of marketing that tries to guide people towards cheaper, black paint, rather than the more-expensive chrome. Call a cheap product "Cool" or "Extreme" and gullible people will spend their money on cheaper product.
Hathaway is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new Vulcan S 2016 rider thoughts and breaking in period Viro Vulcan 650 S 9 06-30-2016 01:08 AM
New to me Voyager, story and thoughts... GGB6259 Vulcan 1700 4 09-05-2013 10:04 PM
Thoughts on new 900 Classic SpringVulcan Vulcan 900 21 03-20-2011 04:23 PM
New rider thoughts Frank New Riders 14 05-25-2010 06:19 PM
Thoughts on theExtended Waranty? WoodMath Vulcan 900 3 07-14-2009 07:29 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome