Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Tell me about your Nomad...

4K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  Romans5.8 
#1 ·
Toying around with the idea of a new bike this year. I've been hemming and hawing for a while about whether or not I wanted a full-faired bike. I've ultimately come to the conclusion that I don't. After riding several, I really do like it; but I think I like a little LESS wind protection more.

So I'm narrowing it down really closely to a Vulcan 1700 Nomad. Owners; what do you think? Common problems? Things to look for? Must-have accessories? Would you recommend a Nomad?

#2 ·
I asked a similar question recently. I always liked the Nomad and dreamed of having one when I had a C50. Decided this year was the year and was looking at a Nomad and stumbled on a few Voyagers. As much as I love the Nomad look and such I ended up going with the Voyager as it will give more comfort to the Mrs when she is along and already having trunk, tunes, etc meant less MODs needed. Had mine 2010 a week now and very happy with it. I am sure if I went Nomad I would be have been happy but this really is like riding a slice of heaven.

Several folks commented on my thread about things they felt were necessary and I think some depends on year if your not looking for showroom floor new.

#5 ·
Showroom new isn't really an option; unless it's a leftover. 2014 was the last year for the Nomad.

So, in my 'shopping quest' I've ridden an Ultra Classic, Road Glide, Victory Vision, Vaquero, Voyager, GL1800, Indian Chieftan; in addition to a Road King and a Nomad. Heck, I've even thrown a BMW R1200GS and a Kawasaki Concours 14 in there! I really thought I wanted a full faired motorcycle. I mean that's what you're supposed to have when you do a lot of long distance riding, right? But everytime I rode one I felt like there was a little bit too much going on and ever time I rode a big twin 'open cockpit' cruiser I felt at home. Call be weird I guess, but if money was no option and I could have any bike I want; it would still be a non-faired bike. I DO want factory bags that lock with the same key, electronic cruise control, etc.

I appreciate the input!

I have a 2011 Nomad and I really like it. I do a lot of 2 up riding and my wife loves the seat and back rest. In the 2011 (at least the one I have) the belt whine is much better and shifting a little smoother than the 2009 I had before. It is a little top heavy at low speeds but something I got used to quickly.

I love the 6th gear and cruise when I get stuck on the super slab. Every other road makes the 6th gear unecessary.

If I were buying a new bike today I wouldn't hesitate to get another Nomad.
Thanks!

Presently, my 900 has a Harley Davidson tour-pak mounted. And that'll go on the Nomad as well. I know the trend is a big fat fairing up front and as little as possible at the back (The Street Glide, Vaquero, etc. are flying off of the shelves, so to speak). But I'm kind of the opposite. So yeah, my wife is definitely spoiled with the wraparound backrest. BUT, she rode my bike a grand total of two times last year. There's a shiny red Honda Shadow that she tends to ride on :) Very rarely do we ride two up anymore. Generally on two bikes.

#6 ·
BUT, she rode my bike a grand total of two times last year. There's a shiny red Honda Shadow that she tends to ride on :) Very rarely do we ride two up anymore. Generally on two bikes.
Very lucky. I wish I could convince mine to get her own. I tried suggesting that for what the Voyager cost we could each get a bike but no dice for now. :(

#3 ·
I have a 2011 Nomad and I really like it. I do a lot of 2 up riding and my wife loves the seat and back rest. In the 2011 (at least the one I have) the belt whine is much better and shifting a little smoother than the 2009 I had before. It is a little top heavy at low speeds but something I got used to quickly.

I love the 6th gear and cruise when I get stuck on the super slab. Every other road makes the 6th gear unecessary.

If I were buying a new bike today I wouldn't hesitate to get another Nomad.

#4 ·
2010 nomad,actually just bought it 2 weeks ago,been riding a 900 classic for the past 5 years,really like the 9,but, the nomad whooo,took a 20 mile ride,awesome,love it
don't really hear a belt whine,1st gear a little clunky,no biggie,is heavier than the 900,used to it already,handles great.do have a fairing and iso grips,stock otherwise,nice and quiet,wife loves it,silver and black,nice color combo

#7 ·
If the bike and the bars on it fit you the only thing that is a must are extended lowers. I think I remember you saying you are over 6' so with the shield all the way up the buffeting is uncomfortable at slab speeds. This is no big problem, for about 20 bucks you can make your own like these

Oh yeah, and a light bar. They really do get a lot more attention.

#8 ·
Yup. The lowers I have for my 900 are fork-mounted 'universal' lowers and should work just fine. I actually have a set of OEM lowers for the 9 but the "universal" ones work a lot better.

Very lucky. I wish I could convince mine to get her own. I tried suggesting that for what the Voyager cost we could each get a bike but no dice for now. :(

Ha. Well it's not everyones cup of tea. My wife wanted to ride her own so we got her one. She enjoys it, puts a lot of miles on it.

#9 ·
I have a 2012 Nomad that I picked up last summer. Previous owner never rode it and always kept it in the garage. Rolled over 10k miles on a quick ride earlier this week. Have a few aftermarket accessories but the seat and windshield is stock. Im 6'4 and have no problem with the wind. 75% of my riding is 2 up with my girlfriend, who also loves the bike.

Ive had sport bikes, Honda Shadows, and even an old Goldwing. I would take the Nomad over any bike Ive ever had. To me, it is perfect. Easy to ride around town and big enough to take on multi-day trips and cover hundreds of miles a day without issue.

I recommend one.

Attachments

#11 ·
Right, that's how the 900 OEM lowers are. They just didn't work well for me so I got some memphis shades lowers which clamp to the forks. They ought to work on any bike with forks!

#13 ·
I rode a'09 900 Classic LT for a few years before picking up a pre-owned 2012 Nomad. I ride two up with my wife a lot of the time. We both love it. I personally think it handles better than the 900 did... a little heavier but that helps give it a better ride. Sixth gear and cruise are nice to have for long distance cruising. I just flip it into sixth, set the cruise, put my feet up on my foot pegs and lay back against the little lady and roll... awesome bike. Check out my garage for pics and accessories.

#14 · (Edited)
You guys are such terrible salesmen that I bought a Vaquero.

No, seriously. Went in to look at a Nomad; left (well, almost, it's not here yet) with a brand new 2014 leftover Vaquero. For under $10k

Evidently Ma Kaw has a TON of leftover 2014 models and they are going door-to-door at dealers trying to offload stock. My dealer bought a total of 200 leftover bikes and warehoused them, and is marketing them now. Including 2 Vaqueros. Should be in from the warehouse next week, just in time for warm weather.

I'm not crazy about the flames but I can live with them. If they are on top of the clearcoat, they'll come off. Other plans include painting my H-D tourpak to match and mounting it on. iPod connector kit. And possibly swapping out some of the blacked out parts with chrome parts. Jury is still out on whether the windshield is staying (or being replaced with a Voyager sized shield)

#15 ·
I was just about to give you a hard time for buying a Vac after all that about no full fairing before I read you got it for under 10.

SSSSwwwweeeet!

I have seen one of those and the flame job looks better in person than in the promo photo.

Did you happen to ask if they had any leftover Voyagers and how much?

#16 ·
Not at this dealer because they already had a couple in stock; and they didn't have much of a discount on them. But the way he talked, he sure made it sound like Kawasaki had a LOT of unsold 14's that weren't even in dealers that they were trying to pawn off at low prices. So it's worth calling around.

And I said I was going back and forth between wanting a fairing and not. And for that price; I guess I do want it! Ha!

Flames look better in videos than pics and it does look like a little bit of metal flake in there too. Get some of that burnt orange paint on my tour pak; be ready to go!

My profile pic was taken on the way home from the dealer with the 900. I'll need to do the same photo op with the Vaq!

#18 ·
I know you don't have it home but congrats on the new Vaquero... awesome price. I was looking at a Vaq and came home with a slightly pre-owned Nomad for the difference in dollars out of my pocket too. The previous owner traded it on a Goldwing after riding his brother-in-laws on the way back from Sturgis and decided the V-twin thing wasn't his.

You will probably decide to go with a taller windshield. I have a friend with a Vaquero and a friend with a Street Glide. Both complain about the wind hitting them about eye level off their fairings and causing a lot of buffeting of their head.

Again, congratulations!

#20 ·
Oh I'd be riding it today if I had it! 50F+ is my "comfortable" temp. 80F is my "ideal" temp. 40F is my "if I bundle up it's fine" temp and 30F is my "If I have a good reason" temp.

But, gotta wait on Ma Kaw! It's still in a crate in a warehouse. Waiting for it to arrive.

#21 ·
This is gonna be the longest week of my life...

#22 ·
I'm thinking that once you get used to having that fairing up there, you will appreciate it more than anticipated. You'll get far less wind and buffeting than with just a windshield.

So what are you going to do with the 900? Perhaps your wife will want to graduate up to it from the Honda?

#23 ·
Too big for her, she doesn't want it. She's 5' even and very slim. She has ridden it before, but it's just too big and unwieldy for her. I talked about lowering it but, truth be told, her bike is a better fit for her. Better suspension (dual shock), especially better than a lowered bike (taking some of the travel out). She really loves her Honda, so it's not going anywhere. In fact, she used to want a Heritage Softail but we got the Shadow to get her started out. She doesn't want the Heritage anymore. She road one, the mystique was gone, and that's that. Truth is, her Shadow is such a perfect fit for her. She's got accessories the way she wants 'em, got everything set up just right. She just doesn't want another bike!

So the 9 will be traded in. Dealer is giving me $3k for her which is not a bad trade-in price at all. Accessories will go up for sale, starting here on this forum, once I take delivery of the Vaquero. (But, you know, barring unforeseen circumstances I don't want to get rid of the essentials!)

Wife is gonna have to follow me in the car because the Mustang seat will be for sale, but I am NOT riding on the stock seat for an hour to the dealer! So we'll swap seats in the parking lot :)

#24 ·
Congrats on the Vaq! You are taking ownership of my dream bike. One day...:fingers-crossed:.

I hope this means you will starting making videos again!?!? I enjoyed the few you have up on the tube.

Regards,
Axel

#25 ·
Thanks! Wasn't sure if any of the forum folks here ever checked out my channel.

More videos definitely coming! Just, as always, when I get time to crank 'em out.

#30 ·
I stand corrected! I guess I had it in my head that 'lowers' meant fully enclosing the highway bars, but given the angle of those; I bet they do block a fair amount of wind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.