Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

spring time oil change?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  SYLVIA J 
#1 · (Edited)
My vn900 has been in storage since dec i have started it once and let it run for 10 mins or so. she has 2500 miles on it, i did the 600 service of course. do you think i should go ahead and do a oil and filter for the new riding season? the manual says i dont need another oil change till 7500 miles :0 that seems a bit long kinda used to an oil change every 3 or 4000?

#2 ·
My vn900 has been in storage since dec i have started it once and let it run for 10 mins or so. she has 2500 miles on it, i did the 600 service of course. do you think i should go ahead and do a oil and filter for the new riding season? the manual says i dont need another oil change till 7500 miles :0 that seems a bit long kinda used to and oil change every 3 or 4000?
Absolutely.......I assume u r using Dyno oil.......But 4 sure......Is always a good idea.......Terry.....:D

#4 ·
In most cases, you should not store an engine on used oil as the acidity continues to build. Starting the engine during storage only makes it worse depleting the TBN of the oil even faster.

TBN depletion can cause corrosive acids to attack metal parts, aluminum and babbit linings shortening useable engine life.

You should store on clean oil, run in spring to thoroughly warm and change again.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.