Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

what the heck is this that was on my baffles?

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  jase64 
#1 ·
So a few days ago I installed my freedom performance exhaust on the Vaquero. After riding it I noticed that it was very quiet and had no performance. Today I decided to take the baffles out and see what they were because I know you can order optional quiet baffles. However the battles were wrapped with steel wool then wrapped with this cotton looking material and then with what appears to be packing tape. I am not sure if this was supposed to be wrapped around the baffles. Is this normal?

I am not sure if this was supposed to be wrapped around the baffle.

Mineral

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes that would be the material that's design to quietin down the sound.
BUT--- It's not suppose to come off like that of course. It probably came loose and jammed the exhaust flow. That would explain the quiet & no performance.
It wasn't installed properly of course and should be delt with by them. On the other hand if you like the louder sound, just keep on going down the road.
Myself, I got cobra's which don't have any kind of packing and is not too loud.

#5 · (Edited)
I would think so. I've never seen inside of freedom performance exhaust. So are you wanting it to be repaired back to factory specs from freedom performance? -

#7 ·
The plastic tape had started to melt at the front I could smell a strange smell like burning plastic. That was another reason I took the baffles out to begin with. Since I took that stuff out everything seems to be OK. Just a little louder but I am OK with that. I was just wondering if it was normal to put plastic packing tape around the fiberglass/cotton material.

#9 · (Edited)
They do make high temp plastic out there.
Example: the plastic bags you can cook in.

#10 ·
Turkey bag. LOL My V&H 2-1 pro pipe came the same way.. but there isn't any real baffle, The sounds is deep but the mid range tone bothers my ears while riding. So I was thinking of buying the steel wool and wrapping it to fill the big empty space.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.