A little Darkside info from the land of OZ. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

A little Darkside info from the land of OZ.

I went to the darkside for the first time about a month,or 1500kms ago.Living in OZ limits the tyre brands,so it took a while finding one,I went for an Accelera Alpha,205/60/16.I can say that the difference is barely noticeable,and it's just different,not better nor worse,just different.For the first few rides I took it easy,and just let the tyre scrub up,but on the last ride gave it a bit of a push,and was pleasantly surprised at the grip.I had the pressure at 40 psi,but I'm now dropping that down to 34-36,I can say that the ride seems more comfortable,a little smoother.But that could just be me,and considering the state of the roads around here,who knows!The price of the tyre is half what I was paying for bike tyres,$125 against $250.It's directional,with mirrored patterns on each side.I'm going for another ride on thu,if anyone's interested I'll let you know what I think with the reduced pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 07:13 PM
Top Contributor

You do not provide what bike this is on or pics so why did I click here? you downunder guys kill me.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Bike is a 2010 nomad.What do you need pics for?Haven't you seen a car tyre before?!

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 07:36 PM
BOTM Winner, April 2014

We like pic's. It nice to see another persons bike...

'03 MEANSTREAK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Well there is a picture of my bike under my username,pretty nice one too I reckon!
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 11:04 AM
Top Contributor

Welcome to the darkside Dave! It might take a few rides for that weird feeling to go away. I run a $96 Altamax HP 195/55/16 with 37-38psi with no problem. People that I ride with are just amazed when their behind me and seeing just how much road that tire is grabbing. Here's a pic of mine after about 7500 miles, how can you beat a $96 tire for who knows how many miles I'm gonna get compared to a stock tire.

[IMG][/IMG]

2012 GREEN/BLACK VAQUERO

Kawi Quick release backrest
Kawi Passanger floorboards
Kawi Luggage rack
Klockwerks 9" windshield
Mustang Seat
Mustang pass backrest pad
Ipod adapter kit/Ipod
Black ISO Grip
Offset ISO highway pegs
PC5 W/ignition
Freedom Performance True Dual Exhaust
Altrimax HP 195/55/16 car tire.
Leather saddlebag chaps
Thunder mfg Tornado air intake
Thunder mfg Throttle Body Gasket
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 09:21 PM

Dave does the Tyre rub on the swing arm,I had a kumho 205/60/16 on my voyager 1700 but it used to tram line a bit and fell a bit squirmy tried all range of tyre pressures,have got a pirelli night dragon on it now
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 10:53 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckie View Post
Dave does the Tyre rub on the swing arm,I had a kumho 205/60/16 on my voyager 1700 but it used to tram line a bit and fell a bit squirmy tried all range of tyre pressures,have got a pirelli night dragon on it now
You know truckie, It may be the Kumho band that you were running because I have other friends that run Altramax HP 205/60/16. One has a Voyager and the other is a Vaquero and they both have about a 1/4" clearance with no problems.

I'm a strong believer in Pirelli tires, I use to run the MT66 on my 900LT and loved them but they don't make the size I need for my Vaquero. I was at a bike event and Pirelli was there and the sales rep was showing me how well the night dragons were constructed. I don't know if you know this but under the tire tread there still a 1/4" layer of rubber before you hit cords, nice tire. I almost went with the rear night dragon because he shot me a price of $170 installed right there but I decided to got darkside.

2012 GREEN/BLACK VAQUERO

Kawi Quick release backrest
Kawi Passanger floorboards
Kawi Luggage rack
Klockwerks 9" windshield
Mustang Seat
Mustang pass backrest pad
Ipod adapter kit/Ipod
Black ISO Grip
Offset ISO highway pegs
PC5 W/ignition
Freedom Performance True Dual Exhaust
Altrimax HP 195/55/16 car tire.
Leather saddlebag chaps
Thunder mfg Tornado air intake
Thunder mfg Throttle Body Gasket
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckie View Post
G'day Truckie,the tyre doesn't rub at all,and I've got the pressure around the 35psi mark.Handles just fine,I don't know if you've ridden the roads around the Mid North Coast,but they're in a pretty poor state,and I thought I might have had a problem with them,but the tyre grabs plenty of tar,and feels plenty stable.There's not a chance in hell I'd go back to a bike tyre,I've just put 2000k's on it,and it looks untouched!
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 09:30 PM

hi Dave the roads here in the New England area are not any better,where did you buy that tyre from as i cant get hold of it here where i live

Last edited by truckie; 12-29-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode