Mixing Radial and Bias plys - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Mixing Radial and Bias plys

Are there any issues with have a mixed set? The bike I just bought used has this and just wondering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 07:22 PM
BOTM Winner, July 2013

Yep their sure is, the radial has less rolling resistance and will roll over the bias tire. These two types of tires are built totally different. You can not mix them with out some sort of handling problem. I had this problem one time with my drag car. I crossed the line at 165, let off the gas and the car started to wobble all over the track, almost lost it. First run with a set of radial slicks on the rear and bias ply Mickey Thompson Sportsman front runners. Did not think much about the problem being the mix of Radial and bias at the time and made another run, only to have it happen again... only worse. Talked to some folks in the pits and they educated me on mixing the tires. I later confirmed it with Mickey Thompson, and asked them to send me some radial front runners speed rated for my car, that did not happen, they were not being made at the time. Ended up putting VW tires on the front, and crossed my fingers that one would not let go on an 8 second pass.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 12:42 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
+1 on what drifter had to say. Radials and Bias ply do not play well together. in the early 70's as a teenager I had enough to by a set of four radials for my cutlas but not enough to have them all mounted and balanced so I had two of them mounted and put on the front thinking my next paycheck would mount and balance the other two. The next day a light rain had fallen so there was a little water on the road as I went across a hump where an old RR crossing had been that was at a 45 degree angle. The front end was trying to go straight with the radials while the rear end was trying to lead as they had completely lost traction. Luckily there was no one coming the other way because I did a 360 as quick as you can blink. I had been across this hump in the road several times on bias ply tires in several different cars in the wet and the loss of traction had been almost unnoticeable. The next day I borrowed enough to have the other two radials mounted and balanced which back then was about 10 or 12 bucks.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Cars the same as bikes?

I new the situation with cars and other 4 wheel vehicles but didn't know if bikes were the same. I have found that most tires don't say whether they are radials or not.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 12:25 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassHunter View Post
I new the situation with cars and other 4 wheel vehicles but didn't know if bikes were the same. I have found that most tires don't say whether they are radials or not.
Absolutely. Poorer handling, braking, etc. In fact, a lot of tire places will NOT install a radial on a bike with a bias tire on the other wheel and vice versa.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 07:02 PM
Top Contributor

So if the tire doesn't say, is there a way to tell by looking at characteristics? Or do you just have to always ask when buying ?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

If it says Radial it is, otherwise they will say they have plies. The problem is almost none of the sales info on-line says if it's a radial. Unless almost none are.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 06:04 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassHunter View Post
If it says Radial it is, otherwise they will say they have plies. The problem is almost none of the sales info on-line says if it's a radial. Unless almost none are.
I think the answer is almost none are. The only two I know of are Michelin and Avon, but I have only been riding again for a short time, there may be some others but I have not heard of them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode