Time for new rear tire. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Time for new rear tire.

2011 VN1700 Classic with 6707 miles and center of tire is close to no depth in tread any longer.
Came with the 170 65 16 size rear tire. My friend's 2010 Voyager has the 180 width on his rear so I know a 180 will fit no problem, but was wondering how about a 200? Too much for stock rim?
If it would fit (the 200 width tire) is there a difference in comfort vs running with the stock 170 or 180? could of sworn I found a thread awhile back that had a post where someone put a 205 width on their stock wheel for their VN1700.

And brands. Which do you prefer, and max mileage you gotten out of them? My stock tire is a Avon brand and remember reading about how some Vulcan owners did not really care for the shorter life span the Avon gave them.

My brother has a 04 VN1600 and he gets about 10,000 miles before changing his rear tire. I have a rock gravel driveway which has incline to ride up out to private rock gravel road and I know tires will wear down slightly faster riding on gravel vs pavement. Though I go real slow as to not try to have rear tire spin on the gravel, but it is what it is with having a gravel driveway and private gravel road.

2011 VN1700 Classic.
Cobra Speedsters
Cobra Fi2000 PowrPro Tune
K&N Air Filter
Mustang Sport Touring Seat - Studded
Slipstreamer Stealth Windshield
Kawasaki Engine Cover Trim
Sissy Bar Studded Backrest & Luggage Rack
Kuryakyn ISO Deluxe Brake Pedal Pad
Kuryakyn Flamed Floorboard Cover
Kuryakyn Adjustable Cruise Peg
Kuryakyn ISO Large Male Mount Pegs
6,000K Xenon HID Kit
Carroll Leather Saddlebags
Wolo Bad Boy horn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 09:46 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2007 Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Color: Black
Garage
Hi, At the start for spring this year my friend who I ride with (has a 2011 VN1700 Classic) changed his tire to Commander II 180 / 65 / 16, we have gone 10K miles so far and his tire still looks new. He said the handling is better in both wet and dry. I also put a new tire on my bike at the same time (stock stone) which is about done but I am so impressed (with his Commander II) that it will be my next tire, which by the way will be soon, within the next 500 miles.

07, Nomad, Fairing, 4 speakers, AM/FM USB/GPS, Cell holder/charger, Throttle lock, 13" Handlebars/Grips, Head Light Modulator, 1 off seat w/backrest, V and H pipes, Intake K and N 9" filters, Cobra FI Processor, Side rails on bags, leather covers w/pockets on rear bag guards. Sometimes have Rear trunk on 1 off rack or bag in place of rear seat, Foot pegs, hard 1 off lowers on engine guard, Wolo horn, fork lowers. Black with some chrome.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 04:56 PM

Time for a new rear tire

Kaz71,
You know you could probably put a car tire on the bike. Come to the darkside.
Klink

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

No, I'll pass on the car tire idea. Not a fan of how it looks, though have read about people getting some awesome mileage out of them, some over 30k.

I went with Bridgestone Exedra Max Radial Rear Tire Size- 180/70R-16 for $172 from motorcyclesuperstore.com also ordered me a new K&L multi lift for $391. Also found a savings code for $9.41 for check out. Both items free shipping as well.

I have a Bridgestone on it now (came with the cruiser new) however this Bridgestone I ordered is a different model. I'll see if I can hit the 10k mark with them as they boosted about in video. I know tires are like what oil changes are to vehicles with cruisers (heavy cruisers). If this tire works out better (fingers crossed) then great, if not I might go with the Dunlop D404 tire as I heard from some people they see 12k, also heard Commander 2 is another good tire as well.

I also have a rock gravel driveway and rock gravel private road to contend with. Gravel tends to cause faster tire wear. Though I do go slow when traveling over it, no more then 3-5 mph. Also I know with Japanese motorcycles and ATV's they usually come with a cheaper type tire to keep cost down for manufacturer and aren't exactly the best tires for wear. So that Bridgestone that I currently have could have been some specially designed cheap model made for low cost, cause I haven't come across the actual tire model online I don't think yet.

2011 VN1700 Classic.
Cobra Speedsters
K&N Air Filter
6,000K Xenon HID Kit
Wolo Bad Boy horn
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 09:18 AM

I'll be interested in the results. I'm in the same boat right now, looking for a new tire for my 1700 Nomad. Heard bad reviews on the Exedras... like the reviews on the Michelan's as noted above, but didn't like the fact they don't make the exact replacement size.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad2thebone61 View Post
I'll be interested in the results. I'm in the same boat right now, looking for a new tire for my 1700 Nomad. Heard bad reviews on the Exedras... like the reviews on the Michelan's as noted above, but didn't like the fact they don't make the exact replacement size.
This one is the Exedra Max (read good reviews about it) people claiming 11k-12k miles out of them and some still counting. There was a couple posts of the Exedra's that weren't so good, but they said the Max was better.

2011 VN1700 Classic.
Cobra Speedsters
K&N Air Filter
6,000K Xenon HID Kit
Wolo Bad Boy horn
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz71 View Post
No, I'll pass on the car tire idea.
Smart man!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 08:21 PM
cmc

Is there any cheaper place to repair or replace a tire on my Vulcan besides the dealer
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 08:28 PM
Top Contributor

You just have to check around for local repair shops. They may or may not be cheaper.

Quite a few people don't actually mount the tires, but they do buy them on line and work with a local/independent shop to either completely do the job, or else remove the wheel(s) and bring them plus the tires(s) to the independent to do the mounting then reinstall'em themselves.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 08:32 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz71 View Post
This one is the Exedra Max (read good reviews about it) people claiming 11k-12k miles out of them and some still counting. There was a couple posts of the Exedra's that weren't so good, but they said the Max was better.
I have yet to see a big difference in mileage for any MC tire brand, unless you change either driving style or to a considerably different type of tire.

I got tired of 4500-5000 miles on VN2K rears at ~$300 each (installed), so I'm sporting Darkside now.

Last edited by whoaru99; 09-20-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode