How accurate is a tire pressure gauge? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

How accurate is a tire pressure gauge?

When checking tire pressure in my car(s) and bike I always used cheap tire gauges that you can find in any auto parts store for a few dollars. And I always thought that they are pretty accurate.

Well, yesterday I was putting air in my wife's car tires which is equipped with tire pressure monitoring system and noticed that my cheapo tire gauge was off by anywhere between 4 to 6 psi. It was actually reading lower than the one in the car.
I tend to think that one in the car is accurate considering that it is a Mercedes, and the fault is with my own tire tool.

So, now I'm curious to find out whether I was consistently over inflating my bike tires. Will be going to auto parts store after work to get another (hopefully better) gauge.

Just thought I would share this info with you.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 12:02 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Kawasaki Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red
Ah, but it's worse than that. Cheap (cheaply made, not necessarily price) may not only be too high or too low, but even be inconsistent on top of that.

Jerry "Old Bear" Barker
Clarksville, TN
Americas Guardians PS MC
Tennessee 16-A Chapter
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Oh, well. The only way to find out is to get another one. This time I will go for more expensive look :-).

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 12:36 PM
Top Contributor

Unfortunately, more expensive isn't necessarily better...

I have the good fortune to be able to check my tire pressure gauge(s) against fairly accurate rate equipment (0.1% of reading). Sometimes you have to toss out one (or mark it with a correction factor) now and then because it's off too far. I'm currently using a basic pencil gauge from NAPA that was $4 or $5. It's within 1/2 to 1 PSI across the typical tire pressure range for my bike...well, last time I checked anyway.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

At this point I'm willing to spend few bucks, buy two or three different tire gauges and compare readings.

I understand that it may be off as well, but I should be able to come up with some kind of average error margin.

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 09:20 PM
Top Contributor

So true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
Unfortunately, more expensive isn't necessarily better...

I have the good fortune to be able to check my tire pressure gauge(s) against fairly accurate rate equipment (0.1% of reading). Sometimes you have to toss out one (or mark it with a correction factor) now and then because it's off too far. I'm currently using a basic pencil gauge from NAPA that was $4 or $5. It's within 1/2 to 1 PSI across the typical tire pressure range for my bike...well, last time I checked anyway.
Back, before I retired from manufacturing, I too had access to precision gauges. I never found a over-the-counter device that I could trust. I ended up buying a precision gauge, that can be calibrated, and made my own out of brass fittings and NAPA parts. We often off road in a Jeep and run the tires down to 6-8 PSI depending on the surfaces we're running. This is what sent me off on this investigation. My Grandson has a digital device and it's pretty good except when it's cold outside (below 50f). The it's seems to read low and varies 2-4 pounds. $.02

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 12:58 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Somewhere I read some guy had taken a whole lot of 'garden variety' tire pressure gauges and put them on one of those gauges and had determined that the 'dial' type gauges were consistently more accurate than the 'stick' type gauges. Just food for thought. He also found that a lot of the el-cheap-o digital gauges you find for $5 were pretty close, but some were WAY off (I imagine chinese manufacturing standards aren't strict!)

Also, just FYI, just because it's a mercedes doesn't NECESSARILY mean the TPMS is accurate. It very well may be, but even the higher end cars buy components like that in bulk from the same places Ford is getting it for the sub-compact fiesta. (TPMS is required in the US now). I'm not saying it is, I'm just saying it COULD be. There are more accurate ways to test than TPMS.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 02:08 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
I think I have five pressure gauges. Three are the digital type and are within 1/2 psi of each other, one is a stick type built into a filler fitting for my air compressor which is way off,the newest, and by far the most expensive, is a dial type on a zero loss gauge I bought just to set my shocks expensive but worth every penny.

Last edited by TS Tinker; 08-17-2013 at 02:25 AM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Also, just FYI, just because it's a mercedes doesn't NECESSARILY mean the TPMS is accurate. It very well may be, but even the higher end cars buy components like that in bulk from the same places Ford is getting it for the sub-compact fiesta. (TPMS is required in the US now). I'm not saying it is, I'm just saying it COULD be. There are more accurate ways to test than TPMS.
I totally agree with you. It was just an assumption when I saw difference in readings between TPMS and tire gauge. I did expect some inaccuracies but not 4-6 psi. When I'm in the car I could live with that, but when I'm on two wheels I kinda want to make sure that tire pressure is within specs.
Right now I just don't know.

Any suggestions on a good tire pressure tool.
Thx.

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 07:36 AM
Top Contributor

Dunno if these are still available, but about a year ago Consumer Reports rated these two digital gauges as recommended models -
Accutire MS-4400B
Accutire MS-4021B

These two pencil gauges had "very good" accuracy ratings -
Gorilla Automotive TG1
Slime 2005-A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode