Online motorcycle tire sellers. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Megatron

Online motorcycle tire sellers.

I was recently told that the only reason I can find tires for my bike cheaper than retail is all tires sold by online stores are seconds or blemishes. Does anyone know if this is true or not? If so please cite some references of you can. Thanks.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2008 Vulcan Classic 1500FI
Memphis Shades Windshield
Phat II Risers
Kuryakyn ISO Grips w/Throttle Boss
Kuryakyn Highway Pegs
Ultimate Driver's Seat w/Backrest
Painted side covers to match rest of bike
Luggage rack in place of passenger seat.
Viking Saddlebags
Wide Whitewalls
Laydown License Plate Bracket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 08:20 PM

Garage
I bought 3 sets of tires from American Motorcycle Tire.
I can't tell that they are seconds or blemishes
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 01:56 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Have bought from JP Cycles, CruiserCustomizing, and JakeWilson online. The only issue I ever had was a set of Continentals I tried, the rear tire wore out in about 4,000 miles, I've averaged over 15,000 on all others exept the Dunlop 404s, origanal tire for my bike. Even it would last 7,500-9,000. I also have always ordered WWW tires, no problems.

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 10:19 AM

I bought my avon 230 from www.rockymountainatvmc.com i had a very very good service!!! At a small problem with the tire every things was fix smooth with avon and www.rockymountainatvmc.com very good service I recomand!!

Vance and Hines Slash-Cut Staggereds.
LA Chopper intake
Cobra FI2000 PowrPro (auto tune)
Hid head light
Wrap Around LED Fork Turn Signal
Integrated Tail and Turn Signal Kit
side mount plate
HANDLEBAR SANTEE 10" STRAIGHT-UP (harley handlebars)
black exhaust wrap
Kuryakyn BLACK ISO-GRIPS
Black Spear Custom Side Mirrors
Baron 1-2`` Lowering kit
Avon 230 and 90/90
Saddlemen Renegade Solo Seat
secondary butterfly remove
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 01:32 PM

Garage
Yes, you will get a good price online....but unless you install them yourself. you most likely won't save in the long run. If you have someone else install them(especially if they sell MC tires) you will pay out the wazoo. They soak you for install if you bring in the tires when you could have bought them from their shop. You may pay 15% more for the tires, but they usually includes installation. Besides, it really pisses them off. The last thing I want is a pissed off MC mechanic working on my bike.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 02:14 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Kawasaki Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red
That is a silly claim. I have two businesses, and will tell you that online stores selling the exact same product will usually beat my prices. That is because they have much lower recurring expenses. I have to rent expensive prime-location roadside-frontage buildings for a retail store - they can get by with a barn out in the county. I've got to pay utilities for lighting, heating and cooling when my store is open, and it had better be open most of the time else I will lose sales - they can get by with heating/cooling a small office while shipping out of a typical warehouse, and close early based upon number of sales collected up. I have to hire expensive technicians and sales personnel to take care of you - they only need low-wage part-time workers that can pull a product off a shelf, stick it into a box and stick a label on it. There are other factors as well, but you should get the drift of this.

After saying all of that, I have to beat the online store by good relations and excellent service! For me, I will always ask my local shop if they have or can get the product I want. If they are reasonably close, I'll buy from them and have them install it. If they miss the mark by a large margin, I'll tell them so. They're human too, and understand trying to save a buck. I'll still pay them the labor for the install (if required), so they still make some money. I've never had them stiff me on labor charges. They know that I'll keep coming back to try to give them business when I can. YMMV

Jerry "Old Bear" Barker
Clarksville, TN
Americas Guardians PS MC
Tennessee 16-A Chapter
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 10:10 AM

While I have gotten a lot of stuff online, I had always gotten tires from shop/installer. With the comparison online price in hand.

The shop I use closed due to landlord selling property for re-development = wrecking ball.

Thus, for the first time, I bought online from Denis Kirk. Who sent one tire that was manufactured 13 months prior. They would not take it back unless I paid shipping, and would not promise me a newer tire. Kirk tried to blame manufacturer. So, I called Avon, and they indicated their oldest was 90 days.

IMHO, no matter who you buy tires from, stipulate tires that were manufactured within 90 days prior. Also, give a local shop the chance to match.

06 Kawi Vulcan Nomad - Cobra Lite Bar, Phat II Risers, Vista Cruise, Krusier Kady, Kuryakyn Longhorn Dually Pegs, Mustang w/ Backrest, Vance & Hines Dual Baggers, PC III, Cobra Luggage Rack, Electrical Connection LED R,B, T Conversion, Jay Stephens LED Tail Light, Classic Chaps, Avon Cobra's.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 01:04 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Sounds like someone trying to make a sale!

First off, if anyone says "always" do some research. Things are rarely 'always'.

Second, no, unless they specifically say (For example Motorcycle Superstore and J&P Cycles both have a 'scratch and dent' section), it's a new tire without blemish. Someone is feeding you a line to get you to buy in their store, I think. Or, someone fed someone else a line and they are regurgitating it to you. Or, one time turned into every time when someone took a tire to a dealer that had been scuffed in shipping and the dealer says "Oh, that's why they are cheaper, they sell damaged tires!". Anyway point is, no, don't be concerned about the tire when buying from a reputable online retailer.

Finally, as mentioned, check first. Call around and find out tire-mounting prices. Lots of places charge so much extra if you bring the tire in that it ends up not being any cheaper (unless you mount it yourself). Where I get my tires they charge $50 if you bring the tire on but it's free if you buy it there. Makes it cheaper to buy it there unless someone online is having a really crazy sale.

Also, don't forget to still support the brick and mortar businesses or they won't be around for very long! If anyone else is into photography you know how difficult it is to find a decent brick and mortar store with a good selection and maybe a service/parts/repair desk. They've all gone out of business thanks to online retailers. Nothing wrong with that, it's just competition. EXCEPT; people try things, try things on, play with things, ask questions, rent, etc. from the brick and mortar store; and then buy it from the eTailer. This doesn't apply to tires, but since we're on the subject, if you're buying something that requires you to first go to a brick and mortar store to try it on, ask questions about it, or even just to 'pick it up' before you buy it, just buy it there! Otherwise, there won't be a brick and mortar store! Local MC dealers here have increasingly smaller selections of helmets, gear and accessories since folks are just buying them online (but trying them on there!)

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 05:43 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
+1 on everything said. Also, any tire that's a "second" would have to be identified as such as dictated by the NHTSA and DOT.

Obviously misinformation being spewed by the same type of character that says the tires you buy at Walmart aren't really Goodyears or Bridgestones, or that the automotive batteries are inherently lower-quality.

Some tire manufacturers do produce specific lines for Walmart. But they're still Goodyears and Bridgestones. And the batteries are the same you can buy anywhere. Only a few companies actually produce them anyway: Exide, Johnson Controls and I think one other that doesn't actually service the American West. Don't let some fool with a burr in his butt deter you from finding the best value.

OURS
2011 Victory Cross Roads, crimson red

"There is only one God, and His name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'not today.'"
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 09:54 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Classic
Color: Black
Garage
As many tires that are sold online if they were all seconds the tire companies would not stay in business.

Stitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode