New tires needed: looking at Michelin Commander II's - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2006 900 LT
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Blue and silver
Garage
New tires needed: looking at Michelin Commander II's

If you run these on your bike what has your experience been?

2006 Vulcan 900 LT. Blue/Silver
Mods:
Partial Debaffle of exhaust
Crash bars
Custom grips
Passenger floor boards
Chrome radiator grill
Baron Big Air kit
Memphis Shades lowers
Michelin Commander II tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 10:02 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2018 Indian Roadmaster
Displacement/CC's: 111 cui
Color: polished bronze over thunder black with silver pinstripe
Garage
I have them on my 1700 Voyager. I like them and hope the last longer than the stock bridgestone crap.

Cu,
Sven

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb." - Benjamin Franklin

Harley is cult, Victory is cool, but INDIAN is legend !

MY LIFE - MY RULES !
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 10:36 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700cc
Color: metalic carbon grey
Garage
I had Michelin commander ll on front and rear for a short time last year. after 4000 klms on the front tire, the front started to wobble bad when ever I let go of the handlebars, always while decellerating between 80 to 50 klms per hr. it was NOT a tankslapper by any means but enough movement to scare the hell out of me. I dont normally take my hands off the bars when I ride, but there are times when I nead to make adjustments on my jacket or gloves while riding. the stock bridgestones never did this. I let the dealer that installed the tire test ride the bike and they determined that there was a defect with the tire only after checking the tourqe specks on the stem bearings, which were fine. so after half a day in the shop they put a Metzler 888 on the front because they didnt have another Michelin in stock. I only have about 1500 klms on that tire before storing the bike for winter so I guess time and mileage will tell this summer. if the metzler works ok I will replace the rear with the same when the rear needs to be done. the rear michelin has around 12000klms on it with no problems and lot of tread left. 36 psi front and 40 psi rear.
krl likes this.

2015 vaquero ABS SE {carbon grey}
12in. windshield
k&n air filter
freedom performance true duals
ivans ecu flash
kuryakin longhorn cruise pegs
sagebrush saddlebag chaps
oem aux lights
grasshoper driver backrest
black isso grips
chucksters risers
isso grip helmet locks

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 11:12 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Kawasaki Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: MetalicBlackk/Silver
Garage
Hey, I just bought the Michelin commander II's last month. I have not put them on yet plan on doing that this 3 day weekend. I have heard nothing but good things about them. They are supposed to have good road grip and last a long time. If you look a you tube people say little as14,000 and as much as 24,000 miles. Even at 14,000 miles that is far better than the 6,000 I got out of my original Dunlop back tire. The front tire on my bike is still good but I am still going to change just because I want the same on front and back but that is just me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 11:58 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2004 Nomad , 1985 BMW K100 X2 , 1985 Intruder, 1998 Ducati Monster, 1972 CL350, 1948 Indian CZ125, 2
Displacement/CC's: 125 -1500
Color: Blue & Silver , Black , Gray , Maroon,black,
Garage
On my second set of Commander IIs . They greatly improved the ride on my 04 Nomad. Since the tires that the PO had on were about midlife I had pulled the bars and properly torqued ( after having to fab a tool) the steering stem bearing nut. That helped a little but once I put on the first set of Commander II the ride totally changed. The Nomad no longer tried to wobble if my hands left the bars. The only time the Nomad wobbled after that was when the tires were TOTALLY shot ( tread showing on the back. I ride aggressively and got 12,000 miles out of the first set.

That which does not kill me tends to really piss me off.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 10:10 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Voyager
Color: Red/Black
Garage
I bought my Voyager used, but the dealer put a new rear tire on it before I took possession. Kawi recommended Bridgestones. The rear was worn out after 6k miles. I put MCIIs on front and rear. With about 6k miles on them now, they have barely warn at all. I'm very happy with them.

The softer Bridgestones will give you better traction, but not that much better.

@rozie : I think there was a problem for a while with MCIIs after they moved production of the line to S. America. I know someone who worked many years for Michelin. They won't stand for the poor quality tires coming out of the Levorin plant they acquired in Brazil. I expect that problems will be corrected by the time I need new tires, if they haven't been already.

Installed:
RAM mount for TomTom Rider 400 (with anti theft module)
6000k LED Headlight & Spots; Kisan Headlight Modulator (works with LEDs),
__Brake Light Modulator, LED License Plate Holder
Longer Kickstand
Dobeck EJK 3.0
Lucky Mirror Extenders
Misc. RAM Mounts for Cup Holder, SPOT, Phone, etc.
Chuckster BAK, Trailer Hitch and Cooler Rack
Wiring for Trailer
Ray's Throttle Mod
Things to do:
Drilling Baffle Plates (Maybe)
Paint HF Tag Along Trailer to Match Bike

LET'S RIDE
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 06:02 AM
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Classic LT (Buffy)
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Blue/Silver/Chrome
Garage
I put MC II's on back in October. I rode on them for a month before putting Buffy in Winter stasis.

First ride with them felt like a different bike! I have loved how my bike handled since I bought it. After I put on the MC II's it made an incredible difference in the handling when turning. I had no complaints prior to changing the tires to MC II's but I had no idea that the ride could be improved as much as it did!

I had them installed professionally. They look awesome and ride like a dream. Now I just need the weather to turn nice so I can enjoy that ride some more!

...On a Steel Horse I ride...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 01:57 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Color: Blue & silver
Garage
I'm running MC2s and entirely happy with them. They grip as well as the Pilot Roads I put on my sportbikes, handling is solid, and I'm seeing almost no wear after 3k miles (unknown how many total miles as they were on the bike when I bought it, and having them on already was a major factor in my decision to buy it).

Gripping the throttle, his knuckles went white with desire; the wheels of his Vulcan exploding on the highway like a slug from a .45...
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 07:19 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Kawasaki Voyager
Color: MetalicBlackk/Silver
Garage
Hey,
I just mounted Michelin commander II's on my Voyager today and also put 2oz of counterbalance beads in each tire. I must say I am very pleased with the result. Took it out for 40 mile spin and the ride is smooth the tires don't try to follow groves in the road and mirror vibe meter is clear through all speeds up to 85 mph. I was getting some distortion in the mirror at higher speeds. If the tires wear as well as everybody say they do and with the beads continually balancing the tires I expect many smooth miles in the future.
I put both the Michelin Commander II and the Counteract Balancing Beads in the highly recommend column!

post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 12:18 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2009 kawasaki vn900 D lt
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: red\silver
Garage
I have Pirelli night dragons on mine and the ride is superb. haven't put many miles on the scooter but these are great tires imop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode