LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2000/Kawasaki/Vulcan
Displacement/CC's: 500
Color: Matte Black
Garage
Newbie Tire Recommendations Please!

Hey guys,

Im in the market for new a rear tire on my 2000 Vulcan 500LTD. Ive noticed the OEM tires are extremely expensive and I've seen others with the exact same specs for hundreds of dollars cheeper? I was wondering what are the pros tips on sourcing out new tires. Im going to stay with the specs Rear (140/90-15) Front (140/90-19). But i don't understand why theres such a huge difference in price?

Any input would be great. Ive gone to a local shop and the quotes are as follows - 220 for the back tire and 120 for labor - Thats only one tire.. Ive looked at Bikebandit and the OEM tire is 320$!!

just need some advise on this.

Thanks - newbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 06:59 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black/titanium
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisAchilles View Post
Hey guys,

Im in the market for new a rear tire on my 2000 Vulcan 500LTD. Ive noticed the OEM tires are extremely expensive and I've seen others with the exact same specs for hundreds of dollars cheeper? I was wondering what are the pros tips on sourcing out new tires. Im going to stay with the specs Rear (140/90-15) Front (140/90-19). But i don't understand why theres such a huge difference in price?

Any input would be great. Ive gone to a local shop and the quotes are as follows - 220 for the back tire and 120 for labor - Thats only one tire.. Ive looked at Bikebandit and the OEM tire is 320$!!

just need some advise on this.

Thanks - newbie
Welcome in alex,plenty of choices and price wise,Hundreds of dollars??find some real reasonable tires online have em shipped to place of ur choice,bought 2 tires for my Nad,was 320 total ,,,,shop took tires off new ones on balanced,320 0td,check some other shops if you can
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:39 PM

Dunlop are best fir safety and performance. Michelin are best for highway & endurance, but not as sticky. Dunlop ride better.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Oh man good stuff!!!! Thanks guys!!

Ill probably go for the Dunlop's and i will continue to look at some local shops. Quick question -

Should i purchase both front and back at the same time regardless of the amount of wear on them?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Oh man good stuff!!!! Thanks guys!!

Ill probably go for the Dunlop's and i will continue to look at some local shops. Quick question -

Should i purchase both front and back at the same time regardless of the amount of wear on them?
I do both & hold the front, which I can remove the wheel myself & take for mounting. Most shops charge more for mounting if you don't buy tires from them. Best just to work a deal. I thin I had Dunlop 504 or 506 on my Nomad rear - a radial, mixed ok with bias front. Front not available in radial. Be sure to check load rating, it's a heavy bike.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Gotchau good to the know!!!!

Unfortunately i can't or to state it properly i have not learned how to do that yet..
Like i stated I'm a newbie...

Ill look into getting a bike stand but i don't really have a spot to these things. I can do simple stuff like i replaced my clutch cable and tail lights and stuff but hard core mechanical stuff i just can't do that on the curb LOL...

I really like the idea of ordering tires having them sent to the shop. Im a little low on funds but tires are prob one of the most important parts of the bike so i don't want to be cheep in that area. Dunlops seem like the way to go and for now ill just get a new back tire...

So one more question.... do i go with tube or tubeless?

I probably should have collected all my questions before i started this but this is my first post!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 09:29 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 1997 Vulcan LTD
Color: Black
Garage
I have had good performance from Dunlop 404F on the front. I just installed a Michelin Commander II on the rear. I ride a bit harder and longer than most so my tire wear is not as long as others.

Hope this helps.

--
'Biker' Bill
'97 EN500LTD 'Hidalgo' 208,000+ miles so far
'98 EN500LTD 'Sioux' 19,000 miles so far
VROC #3833 IronButt #6024
Levelland, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you very much this is very helpful.. I will use the Michelin Commander II 140/90-15 Tubeless 76/H.. And let you know how it goes this summer..

Again thank you so much for the advice. My front tire seems to be ok for now. I guess my equation is do i need to replace both at the same time even if the front is not worn out? My guess is no. since the wear at different speeds.

Again thanks for the advise i really appreciate it.

2000 Vulcan 500LTD
4 years in and loving it!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Thank you very much this is very helpful.. I will use the Michelin Commander II 140/90-15 Tubeless 76/H.. And let you know how it goes this summer..

Again thank you so much for the advice. My front tire seems to be ok for now. I guess my equation is do i need to replace both at the same time even if the front is not worn out? My guess is no. since the wear at different speeds.

Again thanks for the advise i really appreciate it.
Front will last almost twice as long as the rear, depending on how u drive. Michelin rear I'd good. It will last much longer, just beware it can be slicker on wet than Dunlops.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
good to the know
I will keep that in mind when in the rain. Again thank you all for the tid-bits of info ill be keeping it in my little black book of tips.... i.e. my brain..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode