Another tire thread... Michellin Commander II vs Metzlers; VN 900 Custom - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Exclamation Another tire thread... Michellin Commander II vs Metzlers; VN 900 Custom

Yes yes I know another tire thread... I searched through the vast majority of the tire threads on the site and couldn't find the info I wanted... Seems like lots of folks tend towards the Michellin Commander IIs and the Metzler 888/880 for their Vulcans, but I wanted to get some more info on the handling after some decent wear (5k+ miles) from any of y'all that are running either the commanders or the Metzlers. Ive found comments online for both brands about poor handling in wet conditions after 4-5k miles, and seeing as I live in New England, wet weather handling is very important.

Im personally leaning towards the Metzlers cause they have a decent rebate/sale running, but safety/performance/handling outweigh some cost savings for me. Id love to get input from y'all experienced riders who are running either of these tires and have been for a few thousand miles. I kind of screwed the pooch and waited to look into new tires, and I need to get some ASAP... starting to see some sidewall cracking on the OEM dunlops on my '12 so I need to upgrade ASAP.

Also for anyone running Metzlers, what front tire size are you running? Can't find 80/90-21 for 880s or 888s.

2012 Vulcan 900 Custom

Mods:
-Highway Hawk Gothic Arch Sissy Bar
-OEM Engine Guard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 11:50 AM

Year/Make/Model: 14 VAQ
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: ORANGE
I see you ride a 900, I had a 1500 classic and a 1500 nomad, and had metzlers on both I personally will never run that brand on anything they cup to bad due to its tread pattern. I finally went out on a limb, in no direction from others at all and purchased Dunlop's
E3's handled like a dream loved'em. I never got to see them wear out, I sold the bike and bought a vaquero now I'm am looking into tires too, like you I have read to many rainy, wet road storys for me to go with the mich. commanders, so face it none of us ever plan a ride in the rain but it happens, so I will keep searching maybe E3's
again or avon tyres.
when metzler's were made in Germany several years ago they were the ticket, my 3rd set I bought were from their new location where ever that was, I didn't care I just new these aren't for me any more
so good luck in your search

" If your like most people its not for you "

Last edited by skullshaker; 03-19-2016 at 11:53 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 07:41 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2007 Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Color: Black
Garage
I think you have to re-read the reviews, People say things like this tire is great, or after some time/miles these tires sucked in the rain. Often they leave out what bike they are riding and how they are riding it and where. Every time I need tires I look at reviews and only count the views of the people who live in a area like mine and ride the same bike has me. If you live in a area where it does not rain that much and you happen to be on a road and it starts raining the oil on the road will come to the top and make that road slippery, just like in the fall when leaves get wet. For me it was dealing with tar snakes, I wanted a tire that would not follow them or un-even creaks in the road. I care about handling, smooth riding, braking and wet grip more then lasting the longest. I have a 1600 Nomad now and have had a 900 Lt. On the 900 the Dunlap's lasted but I did not like the cracking of the side walls. I then went with Pirelli and they handled better all around a good tire. After them I went with MCII's front and back and I feel they where about the same has the Pirelli's. I remember thinking I hope they last longer because they cost more then the Pirelli's. I did not find out I sold the bike about 6000 miles after installing them. For xmas I got my son a set of MCII's for his Vulcan 500. His Dunlaps have sidewall cracking and he got them last year. I find that people I ride with who have the MCII's on lighter bikes, Vulcan 900, 500, HD Dyna, are happy even after 5-6000 miles of riding on them, and none of them have said bad things about wet road riding. One friend who has a 97 Dyna wide glide, just installed the 888's after his dealer (who is local and well liked) recommended them. I will never ride on Metzlers after the hole thing they had going on in the past. On my 07 1600 Nomad, I installed a Avon in the front at the end of last year because people said it was the best for dealing with tar snakes. Which BTW is true. I was going to go for a MCII for the rear but ended up getting a Avon. I got the Avons for a great price, the MCII's never go on sale but Metzler is running a $50 rebate now. I think if you go with 888's or MCII's they will most likely be the same, all around good tires, the thing I do not like about them is both are being pushed has longer lasting. Long lasting is not the 1st thing I look for in tires for my bike. If I happen to get more miles out of a tire that handles great, dry, wet, is smooth riding and brakes well then that is just a added plus.........BTW, the best reviews of any tire (that I have read) are for the Shinkos. Just about everyone has been more than satisfied. Many "Best tires I've had". Maybe next time I will give them a try.

07, Nomad, Fairing, 4 speakers, AM/FM USB/GPS, Cell holder/charger, Throttle lock, 13" Handlebars/Grips, Head Light Modulator, 1 off seat w/backrest, V and H pipes, Intake K and N 9" filters, Cobra FI Processor, Side rails on bags, leather covers w/pockets on rear bag guards. Sometimes have Rear trunk on 1 off rack or bag in place of rear seat, Foot pegs, hard 1 off lowers on engine guard, Wolo horn, fork lowers. Black with some chrome.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 06:13 PM

I have an 08 custom and I'm now running metzler's on the front and back. When I got the bike the owner had metzler's on the back and Dunlop on the front. I followed suit but found that I was getting 10000 miles out of the back tire and needed to go through 2 dunlop's on the front for every one Metzler on the back hence the switch. Last season was the first time that I put a Metzler on the front and now starting the second season still have plenty of tread left on it as well as the back. As far as handling goes I don't run a lot in the rain but haven't experienced anything out of the ordinary from what comes with running on a wet Road. If it does start raining while I'm out I also take that into consideration and change my riding to be a bit more cautious and haven't felt endangered.

Sent from my SM-S766C using Tapatalk
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 06:27 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black/titanium
Garage
Put Shinkos on my 900 classic, 2500 miles later,no wear,Handled very well Quite Happy,Sold the bike,,,Buyer said,,Got some nice tread,look new,Told em 2500 miles on themGood tire,Imo
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 07:33 PM

Garage
I used the Metzler 888/880 twice now and love them. I find they run great on wet, but get rather slippery on hot asphalt. Need longer braking space as not to slide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode