Need some advice choosing tires... - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Need some advice choosing tires...

Iíve got a 1997 Vulcan 1500 Classic, and itís time to replace the tires. Let me start by saying that Iím completely tire ignorant as this was my fatherís motorcycle that I inherited. It sat for 3 years before I got my hands on it, and it took me over a year to get it running well again (learning as I went as this is my first motorcycle). I was looking at the Dunlop D404ís in a 130/90-16 and a 150/80-16. I believe I read that these are tubeless, but I thought I heard my dad mention something once about his tires having tubes. Do I have to go one way or the other? Can I use either tubes or tubeless? Iíve read tons of reviews, but would like opinions on this specific tire Iím looking at as well. I apologize for my ignorance. I just want to make sure Iím doing this correctly. Thanks in advance.

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 07:44 PM

If you have spokes it takes a tube, which is what is probably on it. Stick with a name brand like Michelin, Perilli, Metzler or Dunlop.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 01:35 PM

I have the same bike (1997 VN1500D2), I put the Michelin Commander II tires on it and could not be happier. My previous tires (Metzeler ME 880 Marathon), like most bike tires, would get caught in rain grooves on the roads and highways, leading to that uneasy feeling, the Commander II's totally do not do that, it was a night and day difference. They are supposed to last a lot longer than normal tires as well, so far I've only put a couple thousand on them so far, but see no noticable wear. And yes, most all bike tires are tubeless, but the spoke wheels require the tube, no biggie though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode