LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 1997 Vulcan LTD
Displacement/CC's: 500
Color: Black
Garage
Question Master Link Clip Disappears

I have an issue that has been puzzling me for a long time. The Master Link Clip disappears! The Master link itself has Never come apart nor do I know about the missing clip until I inspect the chain for cleaning or adjustment. I am installing the clip with the opening to the 'back'. I am in west Texas where the speed limits are high and the roads straight. The bike is a very high mileage '97 Vulcan 500LTD.

One of the chains that I noticed this on was a Tsubaki Omega X-ring 520. I was on a business trip when someone in a group noticed it. An instructor at the nearby motorcycle college 'safety wired' it. That wire stayed intact for a very long time but eventually came apart about the time the chain needed to be replaced, at 43,000 miles. The current chain is a Tsubaki Sigma 520 with about 10,000 miles on it. Another time, very long ago, it happened with a Regina chain. These are just a few examples but this has been happening all 'her' life.

What ideas do you have that would ensure that the clip stays in place? (other than the obvious of using an 'endless chain' without a Master Link)

TIA

--
'Biker' Bill
'97 EN500LTD 'Hidalgo' 208,000+ miles so far
'98 EN500LTD 'Sioux' 19,000 miles so far
VROC #3833 IronButt #6024
Levelland, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 07:48 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Voyager 1700
don't use a Master clip

Chain rivet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM022oIyIC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerbill View Post
I have an issue that has been puzzling me for a long time. The Master Link Clip disappears! The Master link itself has Never come apart nor do I know about the missing clip until I inspect the chain for cleaning or adjustment. I am installing the clip with the opening to the 'back'. I am in west Texas where the speed limits are high and the roads straight. The bike is a very high mileage '97 Vulcan 500LTD.

One of the chains that I noticed this on was a Tsubaki Omega X-ring 520. I was on a business trip when someone in a group noticed it. An instructor at the nearby motorcycle college 'safety wired' it. That wire stayed intact for a very long time but eventually came apart about the time the chain needed to be replaced, at 43,000 miles. The current chain is a Tsubaki Sigma 520 with about 10,000 miles on it. Another time, very long ago, it happened with a Regina chain. These are just a few examples but this has been happening all 'her' life.

What ideas do you have that would ensure that the clip stays in place? (other than the obvious of using an 'endless chain' without a Master Link)

TIA

"If you want to feel smart, get stupid freinds..."

Last edited by Lumber-jack; 10-25-2015 at 10:25 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 10:18 PM
Top Contributor

About the only other option is using rivets, Bill. They should be better than the clip anyway.

Harley165 - Vulcan500 - Triumph865 - Vulcan900 - Vulcan1500 - All sold but I miss em!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 09:00 PM
Top Contributor

Yup, on my crotch rocket I use only rivet-type master link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode