Vulcan 800 Lifting Front End - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Vulcan 800 Lifting Front End

I went to jack-up the Bike today, as I had this idea I was going to put a scissor jack under it and jack it up with a piece of wood under the frame. Well, I see now that every part of the frame has something vulnerable sticking-out from underneath it, like the oil pan and such. I have searched the forum, googled-it and still haven't come up with a decision on the best way to jack the thing up. Can one of you pro's give me a suggesting, I'm tired of searching. Will the Cheapo stand at Harbor Freight work - I don't see how a couple of these things work; I guess I would be able to tell once I look at one. I thought about getting a winch and hanging the bitch from the rafters, but someone said they've had problems with their bikes ever since. Please help, the weather finally got nice and I need to face the wind and get this tire changed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 11:30 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
quite a few use the jack you mentioned. I had a similar jack, and it never did set solid on it, under the bottom of the motor, its pretty sturdy there. I once bottomed out on a speed bump hard enough to break a fin off and never did have a leak, that was over 6 years ago. The main thing I would avoid getting the jack under is the kickstand switch.

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 08:48 AM

You can use a twenty dollar bike lift. Be aware the cost of material has gone up since the original post. I use this to clean the chain, check the oil, oil changes, clean spokes etc. Just move it forward or back to raise the wheel you want. FYI use a piece of old rug on the side that will go under the frame.
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/bikelift.htm

If you add a rear bike stand you can get both the front and rear tires off the ground.
This works with the 800 Classic. On the rear swing arm are two threaded sockets for lack of a better description that you can put 12mm x 1.25 bolt into. I found an inexpensive one on sale that looks similar to the one in this link.
http://www.cyclegear.com/SPEEDMETAL-...Pro-Race-Stand

Good luck.
Ron
05 800 Classic

Last edited by Ron M; 06-03-2015 at 09:44 AM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the great ideas!!! I will get started gathering materials for the lift build unless I see one I can't refuse at harbor freight. I've been so busy I haven't had time to stop there yet, or answer your replies, but I have more time now. Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode