500 front tire low again - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

500 front tire low again

Last spring I got new tires for my Vulcan 500 LTD. The front tire got really low, took it back and the tube was bad. The mechanic replaced the tube with a new one, and throughout the summer my husband put in a few pounds of air a couple of times. Then we had a spell of not riding. Today it was 18 pounds low! We'll go back to the mechanic and probably get a new tube.

Any other ideas? That seems like a lot of "low" when my husband's bike is only a few pounds low. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Diane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 03:59 PM
Top Contributor

Chance of getting two bad tubes in a row is slim to none I'd think, unless your mechanic has a bad batch, or something tiny could have penetrated your tire that your mechanic hasn't detected, and over time wears through the tube.

I'd have him completely remove the tire from the wheel and thoroughly inspect inside the tire.

Or take it to another shop.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 12:27 PM

I had a front tire that leaked continuously, requiring adding air every day before riding. Not much trouble, but not good, and renders reliability questionable. I too had the dealer replace the tube with a new one, and it always leaked too. Now, I have found an independent used motorcycle store that has a very good shop doing regular maintenance on all makes, and a large number of regular service customers, in addition to many returning buyers who come back when they buy another motorcycle. I understand that this shop also offers some kind of warranty on some motorcycles.

This shop is also much closer to my house than the dealer; a half-hour ride versus an hour. They installed a new tire and tube, and the mechanic showed the old tube, withe a big wrinkle permanently set in it. That's very sloppy workmanship! That will usually result in a slow leak, and can lead to a very rapid deflation. That cost the dealer a regular customer. This shop will beat or match Bike Bandit's prices, and take care of any warranty problems with what they sell and install. Their labor rates are about half the dealer's, and their shop is cleaner and neater.

Like redfish suggested--try another shop--it worked for me.

Grandpa

Last edited by Grandpa; 10-11-2014 at 12:28 PM. Reason: get name right

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 04:10 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
They installed a new tire and tube, and the mechanic showed the old tube, withe a big wrinkle permanently set in it. That's very sloppy workmanship!
Grandpa
I thought about the OP problem quite a bit and your post brought to mind something else. When replacing my tires the CORRECT size tube wasn't available from that vendor so I had to purchase the tubes somewhere else. I'd wager the tubes installed by your shop were larger than called for and that may be what the problem was. The shops may not stock that many sizes and they attempt to make do with what they have. Too large a tube will result in wrinkles.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 04:46 PM

Absolutely right!

And I include incorrect sizing one of the worst kinds of sloppy work: if you don't have the correct part, say so, and get it right the first time.

Grandpa
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 02:36 PM

it's not too difficult to remove the wheel. Put it in a trough of water and find where the leak is coming from. If you don't want to do the work yourself, at least you can be better informed when you pay somebody to do it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
...This shop will beat or match Bike Bandit's prices...
that's going to cost them more than they get for it. If they don't make it up somewhere else, it won't pay their rent and they'll be out of business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode