LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/Silver
Garage
Commander II's - finally!

I know this is a premature review on these, especially only having them on the bike for a day. But after a 100 mile ride on them yesterday afternoon....what a difference between these and the stock Bridgestone's.

I inherited the Bridgestones on my Voyager (5300 miles) when i bought it used in June. The rear was 75% bald and the front was becoming badly cupped, but with good tread remaining. Both were well under-inflated by previous owner. Placed back at proper inflation, the bike was a struggle to corner and to engage in curves. Seemed like it was always fighting me. The MCII's are effortless in the corners and curves. The tires are as quiet as they can be and have excellent grip on the pavement. Leaning into turns/curves are back where they should be - fun again.

If these tires last to their expected mileage rating, I will be a very happy rider.

Now to find that section in the owners manual about how to properly rotate the tires with every oil change.... (just kidding)

Randy A.
Mechanicsville, VA
2011 Voyager - Blue/Silver - "Addie"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 08:54 PM
Top Contributor

MVA, you'll probably get a lot of miles out of them as well. I have over 12,000 miles on a pair and quite a bit of life left yet. Granted, it's a light Vulcan 500, but most of those miles are at higher speeds hauling a fairly heavy load too. The original Bridgestones were just about worn out when I bought my bike & had only a little over 5,000 on them. The Michelins had such a different feel on the road, at first I thought there must be something wrong with them, but that's because I was used to those worn out, treadless Bridgestones. I think the Commander IIs are great tires.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 06:08 AM

Garage
MVA, I was looking into the MCII's yesterday and was told I would have to put on a 180 on the back cause they don't have a 170 for the Voyager. Is this what U had to do as well?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Yes - I went with the 180 on the rear as the 170 size is not an applicable choice in the MCII's. Coming from a Suzuki C90 for the past 8+ years, I like the wider tire look. Even though this is only a notch wider, to me it looks better. A bike this big should have a good looking wider tire on it.

BTW, I love these MCII's so far. Has given me the confidence in this bike that was lacking in turns with the beat-up stock tires on it. They are smooth and quiet. Getting ready to give them a good little trip this weekend as I go up to JMU in Harrisonburg VA (from Richmond) to visit my oldest daughter in school up there. It's a 2 or 2.5 hour drive depending if I take interstate or Rt. 33. Probably do one up and the other back. I don't mind driving interstates at all. Rt.33 is a good 2.5 hour drive on a good route mixed with some twists and mountains on the way.

Randy A.
Mechanicsville, VA
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 11:46 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom SE
MVA - do you have an update on these tires after your trip?

None of us is as smart as all of us

2009 Vulcan 900 Custom SE
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Sorry for my failure to report back....Have made 2 trips from Richmond VA to Harrisonburg and back, several trips to Williamsburg and back, and several Tappahanock runs (overall about 2000 miles on the new treads so far) and so far love the tires. They are quiet, smooth, grip well, and have given me the leaning confidence in this bike that I lacked when I bought it used with the stock tires on it. I have the front at 35psi and the rear at 40psi and this is what I have found for a nice ride on these tires. I recommend them

Randy A.
Mechanicsville, VA
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 07:00 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Silver
Garage
Hey MVA,
I put the commander II on mine a couple of months ago. This is going to sound weird but I noticed a weird sound coming from them when I move the bike around the garage when it's not turned on. Maybe cause they're still fairly new. I just thought it was weird.

"As long as I have the voices in my head, I'll never ride alone."

2006 Vulcan 900 classic
Mustang Day Tripper seat
Cobra Light Bar
Cobra Air Scoop
Cobra short sissy bar
Cobra Lowers
Baron's front and rear pulley
Baron's Big and Nasty pipes
Leatherlyke hard bags
Blue Superbrites LED accent lights
Chrome Woo Loo Air Horn
Avon Grips
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I lost my garage in the divorce last year so I can't compare apples to apples there for you. I don't hear anything out of place when I move it within the parking space of the apartment complex

Randy A.
Mechanicsville, VA

Last edited by MVA-Voyager; 09-10-2014 at 03:26 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 08:17 AM

Garage
I have them on my VN800 Classic and I really love them on dry roads too. Just a warning however that these hard tires can be tricky on wet or slippery roads!

I have had to do an emergency stop in a light rain after a person with an umbrella walked out in the road in front of me. It was unnerving how easy the bike lost all traction and I was only doing 30mph.

I have also over powered the rear tire at a red light - that could have been oil on the road - and it was a wobbly feeling.

So, as always just be 4 times as careful on wet or slippery roads and she will do it. Just like car tires, long tread life means less grip on slippery roads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode