Front tire rubbing - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Front tire rubbing

Took the 900 out for a 2 hour ride and 30 miles from home heard three clanging noises from the front than the front tire starts to rub against something and than hum. First I thought it was a flat but than realized something else was wrong so i pulled over and it looks like something fell off from the front tire. On the right side where the axle sticks through the shock, the axle has a hole in it indicating that something is supposed to go in there. I assume this is what is causing my problem. First I thought it was a cotter pin but the hole is probably 1/2 inch in diameter. Anyone have an idea what is supposed to go in there? My guess is that it is supposed to keep the wheel in place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 03:03 PM
Living The Dream

Garage
That hole is open on my 900 as well. That is normal. Not sure what you may have gong on, but possibly a bearing issue? Loose axle nut? not the greatest pictures, but these are straight out of the service manual, and one of my 900.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front axle 1.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	66481   Click image for larger version

Name:	front axle 2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	66489   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140408_14_49_27_Pro.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	66497  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Loving My Mid-Life Crisis!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
1991 Harley Electra Glide Classic FLHTC

Last edited by DeputyLoud; 04-11-2014 at 03:14 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks deputy, I'm going to check the axle nuts and fender bolts but when i looked at them they looked to be intact but I hadn't done a full inspection

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 07:34 AM
Living The Dream

Garage
I actually had to pull my front tire off this weekend to get the inner tube changed out. I don't see anything that could make the tire rub unless your fender is broke, or your bearing went out. But I think even if the bearing was bad the hub would keep the axle in place. I would check over your forks and triple trees very carefully too. I guess it's possible that a fork could be knocked out of whack, although highly unlikely. Good luck and keep us posted!

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

I checked the fender and surrounding bolts and did not notice anything out of place. I looked under the triple tree and the bolts were in place. Guess I have to get to the shop so the front can be lifted and may
be than can see what is going on
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 03:07 PM
Living The Dream

Garage
Probably your best bet if you don't have the right equipment. Really should be fairly straight forward. How about some pics?

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

I guess the bearings have to be checked which i don't know how to do. Should oil be leaking from that area or something? I'm thinking of buying a front end lift to check as it may be cheaper if I can see what is going on before having the dealer charge me
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 08:08 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Is it possible you pickup a rock that got wedged in the fender support? Can you tell where the tire has been rubbing, scuffs on the tire or a groove wearing in it?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 07:14 AM
Living The Dream

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhit View Post
I guess the bearings have to be checked which i don't know how to do. Should oil be leaking from that area or something? I'm thinking of buying a front end lift to check as it may be cheaper if I can see what is going on before having the dealer charge me
Have you taken your fender off yet? I would do that before you worry about lifting the bike. Might tell you what you need to know. If you could take some pics of the front of the tire looking back directly towards the motor. And some pics all around with the fender off and post them here for us to help you further.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 03:06 PM
Living The Dream

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhit View Post
Took the 900 out for a 2 hour ride and 30 miles from home heard three clanging noises from the front than the front tire starts to rub against something and than hum. First I thought it was a flat but than realized something else was wrong so i pulled over and it looks like something fell off from the front tire. On the right side where the axle sticks through the shock, the axle has a hole in it indicating that something is supposed to go in there. I assume this is what is causing my problem. First I thought it was a cotter pin but the hole is probably 1/2 inch in diameter. Anyone have an idea what is supposed to go in there? My guess is that it is supposed to keep the wheel in place.
I believe that hole in the front axle is actually an anchor point for 2 reasons. 1) To help when pulling axle out, and 2) To use when torqueing down the axle nut. I actually put the allen wrench in there needed for the fork axle clamp while torqueing the nut. Then tightened the fork clamp last.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode