04 Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

04 Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak

Hi everyone... just picked up a Mean Streak and am having some issues.

Quick summary before the story, My FI light is going on and off when I twist the throttle, bike runs like $hit.

Got the bike on Tuesday, ran beautifully, lots of torque and power... well at least compared to the other V-twins I ride.

I rode around all day wednesday without as much as a problem, passed inspection and I must have put on 100 miles in between going to work.

Thursday morning everything is running fine until lunch time when I take her out for a little ride and it seems like I am missing a cylinder... FI light pops on and she is running like $hit.

The investigation begins with a new tank of gas... didn't get to drain the other, but figured I could put in some injector cleaner/water remover to help out. I drive the lady home and the new gas is no help yet. I pull off the side panel and low and behold there is a power commander sitting there (doubt the guy before me knew it was even there, all work was done without question from the dealer)... I hook up to it and it read stock everything for this bike. Popped out the plugs and both of the back cylinder plugs are fouled, front look fine. So I clean up the back and switch them, front to back. Start her up and still runs like dog dump.

My plan is to replace the plugs and try her again... I also noticed there are aftermarket NGK spark plug wires, and the plugs were NGKs.

Does anyone have any other ideas? My next move is to uninstall the power commander and see how she runs.

Thank you very much for the help.

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 08:02 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
I'd hook it up stock, and see how it runs then. I had a very similar problem on my MS. It started running like absolute crap, like it was missing on one cylinder. I disconnected my Dobeck TFI and it ran great, I started tracing the wires from the Dobeck to the injectors and found a bare spot in the wires where it had been rubbing, I should've paid closer attention to how I routed my wires I repaired the wires, rerouted and re-insulated everything and it ran great. Another thing you may want to check is the battery connections, sometimes if they're a little loose or dirty wierd things will happen. Hope this helps!

-------------------------------------
'02 Vulcan 1500 Drifter
'07 Vulcan 900 Classic
'06 HD XL1200C
'76 HD XLH
Patriot Guard Rider
SCRC, Rolling Hills Chapter 314
-Rob
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the response, I'm picking up some new plugs and I will check out all of the connections tonight.

I'll keep you posted.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

here is the latest...

-I put in new plugs and she runs the same...crappy
-when I pulled the new plugs out of the "faulty" piston they seemed to have some kind of crud on them. I called the guy that I bought the bike from and he said he barely rode it this year but never had any problems. I am assuming that he didn't go through a tank of gas, so this could be old crappy gas.
-Something I forgot to mention before was that the FI light does not stay on, it is on intermittently. I notice it come on when I am decelerating... not at acceleration. Does anyone know the reason for this? I guess I can try to check the code, but I doubt it since the FI light doesn't stay on.
-I am going to through in some startron and see if that clears out the crappy gas and injectors if that is the problem.

any other ideas?

Thanks,

Tony
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

well got the FI light to stay on long enough to get a code... 41. Front Cylinder Fuel Injector Fails to send necessary 16 signals... now what do I do. Can I pull the gas tank and pop out the injector and clean that out? I guess we will see.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Top Contributor

The power commander must be removed to troubleshoot this problem, if it is still there after removal.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

sfair, the code read out was correct. front injector wasn't working.

The reason was a wire came loose from the front injector... that would be a problem huh?

So, in the first week I owned a Kaw I put on 100 miles broke it and figured out how to fix it... not too bad, most people wouldn't even know how to change the spark plugs.

My favorite resource was gadgetjq.com
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 10:37 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Glad ya got it fixed! There's a ton of great info on the gadget site.

-------------------------------------
'02 Vulcan 1500 Drifter
'07 Vulcan 900 Classic
'06 HD XL1200C
'76 HD XLH
Patriot Guard Rider
SCRC, Rolling Hills Chapter 314
-Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page