Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1996vulcan 1500 classic Carb

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Patrick's1500 
#1 ·
I just recently got a 96 Vulcan. I was informed that the carb hasn't been service in some time and would need to be rebuilt. When taking it off I realized how bad it really is. My question for the forum is what are your thoughts on new carbs? What carbs are a good replacement for it. I know on my Harley I switched from a kleihn(or however it's spelled) to a Super E.

#3 ·
I'm not sure about replacement carb options, but how bad is your carb?

I've rebuilt some really awful looking ones and made them function like new...

Most rebuild kits come with the common parts that are most often needing replacement (jets, float valve, etc), so you'd be good there.

Unless you have parts physically breaking or so corroded they're fused together, or something else major along those lines, your carb might just be worth rebuilding...

Just one example from my shop was a set of carbs from a Goldwing 1100 that actually had white hair growing in the float bowls (some kind of mold like stuff). They were NASTY!!! But with a couple runs through carb cleaner and a bit of elbow grease to clean them up, they came out looking (and working) great! The rest of the engine wasn't so lucky unfortunately. The bike had been parked outside with the false tank off and airbox open long enough that water had completely filled the crankcase forcing all the oil out through the various vents. Of course rust had set in and pretty thoroughly boogered up everything inside the engine itself.

#4 ·
After taking apart the carb. I realized that a lot of the parts need to be cleaned seeing that the bike has over 40k miles on it. Then trying to find the parts for the carb is either hard to find or more expensive than it would be to just buy a new one.

Attachments

#5 ·
Really? I have found lots of rebuild kits for these carbs (Keihin CVK40) online. A new carb is spendy. Factory ones are nearly 700 dollars, and parts houses have rebuilds if you can find them. I looked on Kawasaki;'s parts page and they don't even list the complete carbs as being available anymore.

Here are some on ebay. It says Harley, but Harley used either Mikuni or Keihin CVK40s on their sporties and other carbed models.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rebuild-Ki...569771?hash=item5d8e03c32b:g:yhUAAOSwDPhdKYSL

Here'a good information site: https://gadgetsfixitpage.com/article.php/the-keihin-cvk-40-carburetor

If you don't want to mess with it, call around some independent shops. There's a place where I live called Recycled Cycles. They dip cleaned my carb and installed a rebuild kit for 60 dollars. They alos carry lots of rebuilt parts, they are a recycler yard but they do repairs and fix basket caes and sell them

Recycled Cycles http://www.recycledcyclesusa.com/parts_request.html

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.