Bigger moter, bore it out, bigger cam?? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Bigger moter, bore it out, bigger cam??

I have a 2006 nomad 1600. Done the air upgrade and the fuel controller with exhaust. I want more power. Is my only other options to put a bigger moter ( if it will fit) or bore it out and bigger cam? Does anyone have experience doing these upgrades. I am hot rod lover and want to go fast. I love to cruise but want to accelerate really fast to cruise speed. If i bore the 1600, how big does it go?? How my hp does a performance came give. I want a torque monster.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 02:37 PM
wocka, wocka, wocka

killer, find you a v2k and take it for a spin. you will never be happy with yor ol lil skooter agin. the only way to get what yor lookin for is in a STROKER motor. v2k's are bilt that way from the fact'ry. 4x5's. will kik you in the pance. can kruze or smoke em. yor choice.
them lil v15-16-17s kaw has been makin are just too gentle (square) you need a hammer, v2k.

post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

I have heard. V2000cc, are they the only cruise model with a stroker? What makes it a stroker moter?

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 12:42 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thriller E View Post
I have heard. V2000cc, are they the only cruise model with a stroker? What makes it a stroker moter?

I'm not sure of the specifics on the 2000 , generally speaking strokers use a crank not originally designed for the crank case/ engine block there used in.

Bore X stroke = ci / cmm. It would seem that Kawi wanted to increase the size of the 1700 with out redesigning the whole engine so increasing crank stroke to gain ci would be an effective solution, that would be my guess.

It's a way to get more cubic inchs out of a maxed out bore size for the cylinder used. That's partially the way Chevy stretched out the small block to 400ci.

95 800A
Memphis shades Demon
Vance & Hines Cruzers
Jardine Rack
Kuryakyn Dually pegs
Baron Risers
Kuryakyn ISO grips
Kuryakyn long horn hwy pegs
Wille&Max saddle bags
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Oh ok and the 350 to a 383. What is the last year for the v2k? I looked on Kawasaki web sight didnt see a new one.

post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

I see that thunder manufacturing as a bore kit for the 1600 gives it about 90cc. The reviews are good. Looks like the trick is finding someone to do the work that you would trust. I really like my nomad and if there is a way to keep it and make it a torque monster like the v2k i would do it. I love the nomads stance. Its a very sexy bike.

post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 04:06 PM
wocka, wocka, wocka

v2k is jus like drugs.. the first ride is free

Quote:
S.T.R.O.K.E.'d, the length of the stroke is greater than the bore of the cylinder. v2k's are 4in bore x 5in stroke. 125% is HUGE!!

mos silly motors are square or under square. short stroke. they are gentle as lambs and they dont shake up yor world.
only strokers will put the hurt on you in short order. they make TONS of TORK at low rpm. key is to NOT try to spin them fast because they tend to self destruct at high rpm. but they will tear your pance off the line with their immense bottom end power... way too much fun! u wont kno till you try it.
then that lil v16 will seem just like a wimp-oh-skooter..

Last edited by Poncho Villa; 08-25-2012 at 05:28 PM.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 10:52 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Oh ok and the 350 to a 383. What is the last year for the v2k? I looked on Kawasaki web sight didnt see a new one.
I'm pretty sure 2010 was the last year they made one. You can find them used if you look around. You could rebuild one of those if it has some miles on it. They are brutal fast, but not the touring bike the Nomad is.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 11:48 AM
wocka, wocka, wocka

more like a 289 vs 454 big blok. its not (just) the displacement. its the 5" stroke. v2ks are not crazy F.A.S.T. they are S.T.R.O.N.G. fast. like yor lil racing pony vs a huge draft horse.

yeah, 010 was last year for the b.e.a.s.t. there are still plenty new ones sitting in crates but kaw/dealers arent doing anything with them.. price wise.

no they are not T.O.U.R. bikes in their genes. not yor ever day c.o.m.f.y. couches. you can trim em to do tour duty, many do. these m.o.n.s.t.e.r. motors will pull stumps and its phun to ride with endless amounts of u.s.e.a.b.l.e power (tork) available in any gear at any speed. no need to wind her up like some them little toys.

kaw skrewed the pooch big time when they quit this motor. jus like honda did with the valk. instead of trimming the beast to meet market requirements, they just created a subkulture.

till you ride one, its just words on the page. have had many kaws and they is fine 'nuff machines. jus the v2k was/is a stand out m.o.t.o.r. kaw shoulda put it in thier new voyager couch-cycle.

Last edited by Poncho Villa; 08-27-2012 at 06:37 AM.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Ok, can i put a VK2 motor in a 2006 1600 nomad? I do like the nomad. Is the 2000cc nomad the same moter as the VK2? I really like the touring features with the nomad ( passenger and hard bags). But i need the monster torque. Is my only option to buy a Vk2? I cant come up with money for a new bike but a might be able to hot rod out what i already have. Like i said a am old school hot rod minded. I just don't know how to do it with motorcycles.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode