Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Kickstand brain fart

5K views 42 replies 29 participants last post by  stormin 
#1 ·
Happened to me yesterday so just thought I ask for a show of hands (misery loves company) how many of you have went to set the bike down and forgot that you didn't put the kickstand down (don't be ashamed).

I got lucky the saddlebags and pegs saved the bike, wish I could say the same for my ankle.

#3 ·
I have done the opposite!! When I first got my Custom, preparing to go on one of the first rides, I couldn't understand why the engine would cut out whenever I enagaged first gear.....Doh!! sidestand still down!!!

#4 ·
Do you mean like last Thursday when I got ready to go and remembered that my riding glasses were still in the saddle bag? I was getting off the bike when I realized that the stand wasn’t down (about 2 degrees past the point of no return). I haven’t tries to go with the stand down in a while…

#38 · (Edited)
bk, usually quit b4 puttin the side stand up. 2 hard to hold that thing an not spill my :beer: ... you do know am funnin w/ya.. hope so.

#10 ·
I've done it once. Isn't it funny that when we do something like that, the first thing we do is look around to see if anyone saw it?

I often pop the kickstand down before I come to a complete stop.

#11 ·
Thank goodness I havn't yet, although I did have to pick my bike up last week. My brother and i went for a ride on a very windy day and parked on a slight incline with the wind behind us, got off and the wind blew it down the road until the stand folded, I was 2 seconds too late to save it. Lucky, no damage.

#14 ·
Not had the displeasure, but my riding buddy has done it twice now with me looking on as a witness.... the first time was at the beginning of our first road trip some years ago, and he swore that he would never forget the stand again....yeah, right!...... Second time was just a few weeks down the road, but now, like an AA record, he has been KSMIA free (kickstand missing in action)for about 3 years. Probably just jinxed him....

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
There are three things I'll never forget - again; put the kickstand down, June 1st is my anniversary, umm, uh, hmmm, I can't remember the third, or was it only two things I'll never forget, I can't remember!
ROFL literally.

I typically use the kick to turn my bike off as well, in this case my bike was already off as I was waiting behind my buddy to use the gas pump. So after he was done I walked the bike up to the pump and the rest is history.

#16 ·
I did it this summer. Luckily less than a month before, I had added a Lindby Multibar. It paid for itself right there. A few scratches on the bottom corner of the bar but no damage anywhere on the bike.

Normally what I do is put the stand down then leave my foot on top of it until the bike is completely on the stand, but at that moment I had a lot of distractions and forgot to do it. I haven't forgotten since then.

#21 ·
Back in college in 1990, I had a CB550 with crash bars on the front and a rack on the back. I had just pulled into work at 0430 and went to get off the bike, and the next thing I knew, I was lying in the ground with gas all over my left leg, but because of the crash bars, no injury. That was the only time I have ever forgotten to put the stand down.

#22 ·
That’s why I have the 900.
My last ride (05 Vmax) kept falling over.

1st time, getting gas I only put the stand ½ way down :eek:
2nd THEWIND blew it over… I’M not kidding, in the house, BAD wind, came outside and it’s little black feet sticking up in the air :eek:
3rd and last, Keep it in a wooden floored storage building, it was in there 3 or 4 days before we left for a week, last thing I do is check the storage building/ Vmax, come home and it’s leaning against the wall :confused:

I figured someone was trying to tell me something :angel: so I sold it.

ab

#23 ·
Did that once with my Vulcan 750, never on the 900. Just having done that once you NEVER forget it! Now I always stop and think about it and look and make sure that kickstand is down before leaning it to rest. Always, always, always.

#25 ·
If you've been 38 years old as long as I have (for 20 years), you may consider these three:
1. Never pass a bathroom
2. Never waste an erection
3. Never trust a fart
Rules for good livin'...

Oh, and never forget your kickstand...

#26 ·
Rode a 40 minute ride to work one day with only jeans(no chaps) in 25 deg. temps. By time I got to work,my legs were so freakin' frozen,that yes,I was in such a hurry to get inside and warm up that I didn't put the kickstand down before trying to get off and the bike went down! Luckily I caught it before it hit the asphalt.

#27 · (Edited)
I did it at the local gas station once, my foot missed the kickstand as I was starting to lean it and over she went. The good thing was that I have crash bars so I got to see just how well they worked, it only went over about 1/2 way and stopped. About $80 for crash bars was a wise investment! And yes, the first thing i did was look around to see who was watching.

#29 ·
I also use the kick to shut my Custom off. But once I hadn't started it yet and had to go back in the house for something. I hit the PONR fast, but was able to lay it down slowly enough that I didn't scratch the crash bar. Oh yeah, and one time I was letting the bike down off the jack and forgot to put the stand down first. Try stopping it with one foot on the let-down and one hand on the bars; On the right side of the bike! I almost landed on top of it!

#31 ·
Putting your kickstand down to kill the bike isn't a bad habbit to learn, but how many of you ever forgot to turn your key off? I always put my bike in neutral and turn it off with the key, or I would forget to turn it off at the key.

#32 ·
You really shouldn't leave the bike in neutral . These bikes don't have a locking position on the kickstand so a stiff breeze can catch your windshield pushing the bike forward and off the stand (or if the bike is facing down hill, road vibrations). Leaving the bike in gear will keep it in place and help keep it upright,

#33 ·
I never turn the bike off by using the kick stand, i never leave it in gear, i always turn the key off, i have never forgot to put the kick stand down, i dont use the kill switch and i dont have crash bars. Riding is all about focus ..... focus.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.