Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Is my tire ok to ride

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  3jcrew 
#1 ·
Is it okay to ride my 1500 with the front tire dry rotted on the side wall a bit. I have rode it like that for the past 4 months with no issues plenty of tread left as well .just want to know if I definitely need to replace or keep on rollin. It is a spoke rim with a tube in the tire so it’s better than a tubeless with this issue Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Daniel

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I think the fact you're asking this says you're not 100% comfortable with it. I agree the tube helps, but if the sidewall goes out the tube won't help much. Plus, it's the front tire. If it goes you're likely going down! Spend the bucks and replace that tire.

#5 ·
change your tire, don't chance it

#6 ·
Let me tell you my rubber rot story. In 2001, my brother in law gave me a 1981 KZ 750 that had been sitting in his garage and not started for eight years. The tires looked new. He said he put new tires on it and then put about 500 miles on them. I took it home, got it running and took it for a spin. Then I took on a hundred-mile loop, the last 20 miles of which are a freeway.

I pulled into my driveway and walked down to get the mail. Walking back up I noticed a white stripe on the rear tire. The cords and steel belts were exposed. I had just been flying down the freeway at 80 mph. When rubber starts to crack it means it's lost most of the properties that give it flexibility. It becomes like chalk and wears quickly when it reaches its breaking point. I just swap my tires out every 10k no matter what.

#7 ·
I agree with the others; that is a blowout waiting to happen.

#11 ·
Without regard to date of manufacture of the tire, or knowing its current in service mileage, and just going on the fact that it has dry wall cracking, I would say YES, you can ride on that tire as fast and as far as you like.

Since it has a tube in it (probably the same age as the tire) as long as it holds air during rides and you only have to air it up every day or so between rides would be another indicator that it is safe to ride on.

Really the only need to change that tire out is when you have used up all that dry rotted rubber and worn the tire down to the belts. Then you will have gotten good service life out of that tire. The sole purpose of that tire is to protect the metal rim from scuffing the pavement.

I hope you get to experience all that motorcycling has to offer and there is nothing more thrilling than hurtling down the road on bare metal rims once that front tire exceeds its will to stay together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.