Clutch not fully engaging when stopping - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Clutch not fully engaging when stopping

Hi I'm very new to bikes, this is actually my first one and was given to me by my brother. Its a 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic fi with about 37000 miles. Sense I've had it I have changed the brake and clutch fluid and bled the clutch and just today replaced the slave cylinder. Before all that it would run fine but when I pull up to a stop light and pull the clutch in and shift to first gear and come to a complete stop the bike keeps pulling forward if I let go of the brake and will sometimes stall. After I changed all the before mentioned parts and fluids it's STILL doing it. Any help would be VERY appreciated. Thank you all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:54 AM

Year/Make/Model: 20007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Ebony / Titanium
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDizzleduzit!88 View Post
Hi I'm very new to bikes, this is actually my first one and was given to me by my brother. Its a 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic fi with about 37000 miles. Sense I've had it I have changed the brake and clutch fluid and bled the clutch and just today replaced the slave cylinder. Before all that it would run fine but when I pull up to a stop light and pull the clutch in and shift to first gear and come to a complete stop the bike keeps pulling forward if I let go of the brake and will sometimes stall. After I changed all the before mentioned parts and fluids it's STILL doing it. Any help would be VERY appreciated. Thank you all!

Could very well be your clutch cable is stretched and needs replaced. Its a pretty easy job.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:46 AM
CRU

Displacement/CC's: 1600
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Edwards View Post
Could very well be your clutch cable is stretched and needs replaced. Its a pretty easy job.
Hydraulic clutch. No cable.

2008 Mean Streak Candy Fire Red
Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered exhaust
Dyno tuned Power Commander III & K&N air filter
Corbin Young Guns saddle/Kawi Fire & Steel "Touring" Double saddle
Mapam forward controls
Kuryakyn Constellation LED driving lights w/turn signals
Kuryakyn ISO grips w/stiletto end caps
Kawi OEM backrest
Kawi Fire & Steel windshield
Bad Ace Billet handlebar risers
Signal Dynamics BackOFF XP brake light module
Tourmaster Coaster tool bag

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Honda Goldwing Level3
Displacement/CC's: 1800
Color: Pearl White
Garage
Welcome to the forums!

Please fill in your profile to include your bike/location info and that
is easier using a PC vs the app. This will help others answer questions you may ask knowing what year and model bike you have.

Jeff, Twin Cities, MN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacrossthehill View Post
I think you mean clutch disengaging, that's what is supposed to happen with the lever pulled in.

There is supposed to be a rotary adjustment on the clutch lever that controls its engagement with the clutch master cylinder.
Assuming your master cylinder and slave cylinder are working correctly, you can probably fix your problem with this adjustment.
The knob only sets the lever position - it doesn't change how much the clutch is engaged.

Last edited by VulcanDrifter; 09-11-2019 at 01:47 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDizzleduzit!88 View Post
This is exactly what happens if you've got air in the lines. Because air compresses, when you pull in the lever, air is compressed in the line and the clutch throw-out doesn't move enough causing the clutch to drag. You need to keep bleeding.

Last edited by VulcanDrifter; 09-11-2019 at 01:48 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 04:59 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Displacement/CC's: 800
Garage
you might have some air bubbles in the clutch fluid line so when you pull on the clutch lever the air bubbles act as a cushion and compress and the fluid is not completely pushing on the clutch rod to free up friction pressure on the clutch plates and that makes the clutch still grab and want to go forward, so the fix is the remove the air bubbles from the line, that's a whole new topic how to bleed a brake/clutch line of all air bubbles

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Wix 51358 filter 17T/40 Sprockets, 2357 rear bulbs
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the quick responses and I'll make sure and keep bleeding but now on my way to work I noticed when I pull in the clutch it's making a squeaking sound till I come to a complete stop. Could that have to do with the slave cylinder? I also was wondering it there is supposed to be a ball bearing attached to my rod or is that bearing supposed to be inside the slave cylinder because the slave cylinder I got off eBay has it inside and the one I removed didn't, it was attached to the clutch rod. I hope I'm explaining myself enough to get what I'm talking about across. Thanks again to everyone helping me!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 11:06 PM

Year/Make/Model: 99Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: Black
Check the clutch mastercylinder. There is a small port in the bottom that sometimes get dirt or gets partially plugged. Take a thin needle and pole into the hole. Should see difference. Dawn it on YouTube check it out. YouTube showed home the clean the port..
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedw View Post
Check the clutch mastercylinder. There is a small port in the bottom that sometimes get dirt or gets partially plugged. Take a thin needle and pole into the hole. Should see difference. Dawn it on YouTube check it out. YouTube showed home the clean the port..

If the M/C bypass hole is plugged, it has the effect of over-pressurizing the line which would cause the clutch to slip or disengage (when it's no supposed too); the OP's clutch won't fully disengage which is the opposite problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode