2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 1998 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1500E
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: Red/Gray
Garage
Vulcan 1500 sat for 8 years

My father-in law recently gave me his 1998 Vulcan Classic 1500 which has been sitting for the last 8 years. I put a new battery in and it cranks over, but doesn't start, which i am sure is due to the gas sitting in the carb for almost a decade. Besides changing the oil and rebuilding the carb what else is recommended? It only has 6K miles on it and other than a little rust on the cable holders it looks to be pristine.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 06:26 AM

not that i'm anybody, but whenever i would get a bike, i'd change all fluids, pull all cables for lubin, really checck over the tires. bein its sat fo 8 years go real slow over that carb, i would consider having it professionally cleaned to be sure all passage ways are open. rebuid it good. take you time with it, its a goodin enjoy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 09:56 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2004 VN 1500E7
Displacement/CC's: 1470
Color: green over white
Those tires might be victims of rubber rot. My brother in law gave me a 1981 KZ750 that had sat in his garage for nearly ten years. The tires looked brand new, so when I got it home, I pulled the carbs, did the fluids, fork seals, new sprockets and chain, and took her out for a ice 100 mile ride. Whn I came home, the last leg of the ride was 80 miles an hour down the freeway for 20 minutes. When I got to my driveway, I gotoff to check the mail and when I walked back up the driveway I saw a white stripe on the rear tire. When I got closer I could see it was the threads and steel belts in the center of the tire. Apparently the rear tire was a bit like chalk. It would have been a bummer to lose the rear tire on that bike at 80 MPH.

Also all the rubber bits in the carb are probably hardening and cracking, especially if the carb sat dry.
One other issue might be the plastic oil gear, some guys worry about it and others don't.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 09:55 AM

Congrats! Awsome gift!
I've a 1991, vn88 1500, jus bought last Feb. Workn thru it.
Bleed clutch fluid see tube videos.
Bleed til fluids nice an clear.
I'm no carbuerator man,
Drain drive shaft fluid, lubricate cables, pull gas tank make sure any debris in tanks flushed out.
Replace rubber fuel lines,
Run a lot of seafoam thru system,
Plugs an wires replace,.
A gift bike ur way ahead $$ wise,.
Least my humble shade tree opinion luck
March411 likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the tips. I took apart the carb and the main jet was totally clogged. Gave it a good cleaning and replaced all the seals and she started right up.

Last edited by cwagner; 07-11-2019 at 09:13 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So I pulled the cap off the master cylinder for the clutch and the fluid was almost black with crud in the bottom of the reservoir. Cleaned that out and the little hole was blocked(the one that blows fluid when squeezing) and cleared that out. I bled the line at the slave cylinder and got the fluid running clear but the handle seems real soft.

Not sure where to go from here if I should start with the master cylinder or what.

Thanks.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwagner View Post
So I pulled the cap off the master cylinder for the clutch and the fluid was almost black with crud in the bottom of the reservoir. Cleaned that out and the little hole was blocked(the one that blows fluid when squeezing) and cleared that out. I bled the line at the slave cylinder and got the fluid running clear but the handle seems real soft.

Not sure where to go from here if I should start with the master cylinder or what.

Thanks.
There's still air in your lines - you need to keep bleeding.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanDrifter View Post
There's still air in your lines - you need to keep bleeding.
What I am experiencing is I pull the clutch in, put it in 1st (I have never rode this cycle but the neutral light is going out so I am assuming it went into 1st), let the clutch out and nothing happens. Would air in the line cause this behavior?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 07:36 AM

I would say as well continue bleeding the clutch since it was so mucked up be sure that the little tiny hole in the clutch master cylinder back blows pressure.
Pull up YouTube videos of bleeding clutch lines for the Kawasaki Vulcans there's a guy that does it that's a mechanic he shows a precise way to bleed the slave cylinder as you press clutch lever in a pattern you'll need a little piece of plastic tubing to put on the slave cylinder this assist and keeping air out of the system if you watch that video is very understandable bleed your clutch several times that's really the best and first thing to do in this situation just about everything else requires rebuilding everything and taking the side covers off and mufflers it's a big job in my mind to get to that clutch to look at it
just keep saying to yourself how much it would cost for a mechanic at a dealership to do this for you and you'll smile as you're doing your own work😊
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 07:41 AM

additionally,
The slave cylinder has to be rebuilt for several reason ,sometimes,

until you've bleed your clutch several times , then see
come back to the board say what you've done and then the old timers on viard really what they're doing can lead you along to the next steps I really appreciate the Kawasaki Vulcan forums they've helped me on every single thing I've done on my 91 88 1500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode