petcock questions - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

petcock questions

Number 1 - should I be turning this off after every ride? In my intro to motorcycle riding course they said it should be turned off when the bike is off, and I guess it's just slipped my mind every time. Am I in danger of anything like gas overflowing into the oil supply, or will it stay in the fuel line since the pump is not on?

Number 2 - had fuel leaking out of the petcock, which is now resolved since I tightened the fuel line from petcock to pump. So the petcock, even when turned off, does not seal shut. Note: leaks from the nipple that the fuel line connects to. Rather than buy a whole new unit, can I just replace the insides? Looks like there's a rubber o-ring and another round rubber gasket with holes to control the fuel flow... are these the most likely culprits?

1998 Vulcan 1500 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 07:40 AM

Garage
My '94 had the same problem, "off" would still allow a trickle of gas through and I had, at the time - now fixed, a leaking carb gasket leaving a few drips to collect on the floor. I found a damaged rubber seal in the petcock and carefully made a replacement from some rubber sheet stock. I also found a match for the O-ring at a hardware store. Now "off" is OFF! I use off when I put the bike in the shed but not during a ride. I could send you a piece of that rubber if you wanted to try making one.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Alright - I'll try and start remembering to switch it off. Thanks for the offer on the rubber piece, but I went ahead and ordered one today - $7 including shipping and an o-ring. I have a whole case of o-rings, but somehow things like this always end up being a non-standard size.

1998 Vulcan 1500 Classic

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 09:00 AM

I am not sure what the best practice is... I guess if you are a regular rider turning it "off" every time is probably not required... if you are doing long term storage and run the carb dry then turning it off probably makes sense to be sure nothing is getting thru...

Certainly fixing any leaks just makes sense and you should do that... hth...

--
Winstoncup
2003 Vulcan Classic 1500
Muzzy true-dual exhaust
Mustang seat, bags and trim
Memphis Shades windshield
Cobra rack and passenger pads
BreakAway Cruise Control
Kuryakyn Black ISO Grips
Chrome and more chrome...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 04:09 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan
Displacement/CC's: 1500FI
Color: Ebony Black/Galaxy Silver
Garage
From what I read aboout the guys with the fuel petcocks, if it is not turned off and you are not riding in an hour or so gravity forces fuel down the line and causes problems. As a kid all bikes had petcocks then, I just turned mine off when I got to school or when through for the night. If I stopped for a burger I just left it alone.

Just my $.02

06 1500 Classic FI (Anniversary Edition)
Reward the truth, punish the liars...Ted Nugent
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 09:28 PM

I have never turned mine off....
with that said...ethanol spiked gas WILL RUIN a carb in a very little time. It is a rubber solvent and it is is a plastic solvent'. The boating industry is already well aware of the damage it can cause. I think at the end of the season then turn you petcock off and run the gass in your carbed engine dry...and dump what you have left in the tank! If it leaks then fix it. That is not a too hard job.

"Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"

04 Vulcan 1500 Classic Carbed
K&N Air filter on the right side
Vance & Hines pipes
Mustang Regal Touring Seat
Recitifier relocate
Helmet lock relocate
Windshield
Saddlebags
Cobra Crash Bar
Kuryakyn:
Dually Cruise Pegs
Iso Grips
Light bar

2000 Vulcan 800 (My Wife's Bike)
Debaffeled
Fringed Saddlebags
Windshield
Mustang Seat
Fire and Steel Floorboards
Hiway Bars
Kuryakyn Dually Cruise Pegs
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 09:59 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
The risk of leaving the petcock on is a potential hydrolock. If all the conditions are right, a carb could leak, filling a cylinder full of fuel. Fuel doesn't compress like air does, so when the cylinder comes up, if it happens to be on the compression stroke, it could slam up against a wall of fuel and bend a rod, damage the starter, do any number of damages. It could also gum up if left on for long periods.

That situation isn't likely, but it is possible!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 05:42 AM
Top Contributor

Unlikely?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
The risk of leaving the petcock on is a potential hydrolock. If all the conditions are right, a carb could leak, filling a cylinder full of fuel. Fuel doesn't compress like air does, so when the cylinder comes up, if it happens to be on the compression stroke, it could slam up against a wall of fuel and bend a rod, damage the starter, do any number of damages. It could also gum up if left on for long periods.

That situation isn't likely, but it is possible!
Possible but very unlikely. Piston rings aren't capable of a 100% seal. Fuel would really have to pour through the carb, intake, valve combo to get into the cylinder faster than it can leak past the rings. It is a common occurance to have a crankcase get contaminated with fuel from exactly that. If you have a manual valve, get in the practice of turning it off. If you have a vacuum actuated petcock I'd recommend that you check it a couple times per season. I had mine leak overnight and the fuel did leak into the oil and overfilled the crankcase with a fuel / oil mix. A mess to clean out and expensive to dum the oil and flter plus the cost of a petcock. They seem to have about a 3 year life before needed a rebuild or replacement.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode