Cell phone charger help - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: Blue/Black
Cell phone charger help

I picked up a cheap USB cell phone charger from walmart.com. I thought I could connect it to the electrical auxilary connections under the tank, alas that did not work..

The unit I'm trying to connect has a 10 amp inline fuse. Acesori connections are 12 volt and 5 volt.

I read an another Forum that this has been done connecting such a device into the headlamp bucket. I thought I should ask here before attempting that.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 11:43 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: (SOLD) Kawasaki Vulcan S [Harley-Davidson FLXTRS Road Glide Special]
Displacement/CC's: 107 (1746cc)
Color: Bonneville Salt Pearl
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 12:13 AM

Year/Make/Model: 07 Vulcan Classic
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Color: Silver
Garage
My previous owner of my Vulcan Classic had a pigtail outlet for heated gear from the batter so my wrench just pugged it in there and of course you need to get the correct wire that charges your particular phone. Hope that helps.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

The wires under the tank... are they extensions of the battery? Or, are they intended for cell phone chargers and the like?

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

After connecting my elcheapo is doohickey directly to the battery, and getting nothing, I determined it's a dud.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 10:20 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: (SOLD) Kawasaki Vulcan S [Harley-Davidson FLXTRS Road Glide Special]
Displacement/CC's: 107 (1746cc)
Color: Bonneville Salt Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainingWheels View Post
The wires under the tank... are they extensions of the battery? Or, are they intended for cell phone chargers and the like?

They are only powered with the relay

Get out there and feel the wind in your Helmet! ATGATT
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 07:14 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Color: Black / grey
ANYTHING that uses a USB connection does not draw 10 Amps.
The most is 2 Amps.
And the new USB 3.1 type is just a bit more.
Also the bike is at 12 volts and anything that plugs into USB will be 5 volts.
Your cable/charger needs to reduce the voltage down so you do not blow up your cell.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1995 en500 stock with windshield - 29,000 miles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 09:31 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2004 VN 1500E7
Displacement/CC's: 1470
Color: green over white
I bought one of those DC cigarette lighter-type charging ports and drilled a hole in my right side cover and mounted it there. I wired it right to the battery with its own relay and fuse. Job done. Works with any car charger.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick's1500 View Post
I bought one of those DC cigarette lighter-type charging ports and drilled a hole in my right side cover and mounted it there. I wired it right to the battery with its own relay and fuse. Job done. Works with any car charger.
I'm sorry I'm so dense, and testing the patience of people who are more Adept with a wrench than I... I was hoping for something more plug-and-play... However would you explain why I would need a relay? I would like to know what the accessory cables under the tank are for if they are not for cell phone chargers.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 01:29 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black & Silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainingWheels View Post
I'm sorry I'm so dense, and testing the patience of people who are more Adept with a wrench than I... I was hoping for something more plug-and-play... However would you explain why I would need a relay? I would like to know what the accessory cables under the tank are for if they are not for cell phone chargers.

The relay is typically for a situation where you wanted to run something that would blow the 10 amp fuse connected to those accessory hook-ups, such as an air compressor. A relay is just an electrically controlled switch. You'd use a low amp circuit to trip the relay that connects the high amp circuit.

For your phone charger, those accessory hook-ups should be fine. As someone mentioned, you're not going to get more than 2 amps through a USB device, unless you want to see the magic smoke that makes it work. I have a USB adapter on my bike that's hooked up ....erm .... somewhere. Maybe. I dunno, the PO did it and it doesn't actually seem to BE hooked up at the moment. One of those things that's on the winter list. But the adapter hangs by the right side of the seat and has a little snap-on weather cover to keep the crud out. Seems like a smart idea. Whatever plug you end up with needs to drop the 12v of the bike down to the 5v of USB, but any car charger would do the trick, and there are also direct connect units if you just want the USB outlet without installing the cigarette lighter style 12v convenience outlet. That convenience outlet is, as many have discovered, one of the worst imaginable designs for a connector on a motorcycle, so unless you need one I can understand choosing to skip it.

I seem to remember some have found that those accessory wires aren't actually hooked up to power, so you might stick a meter on the one you plan to use before you get too far into things. You may need to do a little backtracking of wires and whatnot.

"Don't force it. Get a bigger hammer."
- William Shakespeare
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode