04 1600 clutch sound/pull back in gear off throttle - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2004/Kawasaki/Mean Streak
Displacement/CC's: 95/1552
04 1600 clutch sound/pull back in gear off throttle

The start of the riding season, the bike ran fine. After driving it to work one day, it started acting weird on the way home. When I let off the throttle while in gear I hear a sound (eerrrkk!) come from the clutch side and feel the bike getting pulled back. When I pull the clutch in, I no longer hear the sound and the bike glides just fine.

What I did after:

After experiencing that during my ride back from work, I did a full service replacing all of the oils, brake pads, air filters (Caddman Mod) and even took out my break pistons and cleaned those.

clutch/brake - using very clear high-grade DOT 4

Result:

The sound/effect died down a bit but it is still there.

What I was doing before:
Prior to this problem, I had been tuning a COBRA fi2000 on the bike (to compliment the V&H long shots). I also put on 15" apes and routed the lines around the triple tree for more slack.

After searching through the forums, I was unable to find someone that described a clutch problem in this way. There was a lot about adjusting the clutch lever and clutch slipping but, I have not experienced a slip. It remains in gear and accelerates fine. I don't really feel resistance while accelerating, it isn't until I let off the throttle while in gear that I get pulled back a little and hear the sound. The fact that the sound goes away while drifting when I pull the clutch lever has led me to believe it is the clutch.

I really haven't experienced a lot of problems with this bike and it's my first shaft drive so I suppose I could be misdiagnosing the problem.

I am very grateful for any insight someone can give me into what this problem could be and/or how to fix it. The middle of summer without a motorcycle is ......... just wrong..... so wrong.

I tried to put as much info about the bike and the work that has been put into it in case any of those things may have helped to cause the problem. As always, anyone's feedback is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 07:20 PM

Year/Make/Model: 06 Vulcan Nomad, 05 and 04 Yamaha FZ1
Displacement/CC's: 1600 / 1000 x 2
Color: Green/Silver, Silver, Blue
When you say "clutch side", are you referring to the side the lever is on or the actual clutch?
The fact you only hear this on deceleration may indicate your outer bevel gear bearing is going out. When you pull in the clutch, you're removing the engine braking so the load is coming off that gearset.
How many miles on the bike?
I'm pretty new to these bikes and still in the learning process myself so I may very well be wrong.
Hopefully, someone more knowledgable will be along shortly.

Old Enough to Know Better
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 09:14 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2002 Vulcan Classic
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: Green/black
If it is a whining noise coming from the left side case on decep I would put money on a bevel gear bearing. I just had to change mine out on my 1500 at 36k. If you are mechanically inclined it's not a terribly hard fix but does require removing the rear end and jacking up the engine a few inches to get the gear out. If you check your oil screen on the left side of the engine you may very well find some bearing material. If it is the bearing I would recommend to stop riding. All your risking is catastrophic failure and the issue will not go away no matter how many oil changes you do!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2004/Kawasaki/Mean Streak
Displacement/CC's: 95/1552
Thank you both for responding so quickly! The bike is just past the 55,000-mile mark. I will look into the bearing. I would have started replacing clutch parts myself and still been stumped without your input. I was able to track down one of the old MillWrights I used to work with (he retired) that rides Vulcans, he said he would be able to help me with the repair because his garage is set up to work on bikes. I will let you know how it goes! and if he says anything else was wrong that might be adding to the noise.

This forum has always been a huge help. I love knowing that I own a bike with some very dedicated and knowledgable people willing to help you out/give advice online, from problems like this to different mods/upgrades. I greatly appreciate all the help!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 11:05 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2002 Vulcan Classic
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: Green/black
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBride View Post
Thank you both for responding so quickly! The bike is just past the 55,000-mile mark. I will look into the bearing. I would have started replacing clutch parts myself and still been stumped without your input. I was able to track down one of the old MillWrights I used to work with (he retired) that rides Vulcans, he said he would be able to help me with the repair because his garage is set up to work on bikes. I will let you know how it goes! and if he says anything else was wrong that might be adding to the noise.

This forum has always been a huge help. I love knowing that I own a bike with some very dedicated and knowledgable people willing to help you out/give advice online, from problems like this to different mods/upgrades. I greatly appreciate all the help!
Not a problem! Happy to help out it can be extremely discouraging tracking down a mystery noise with no results! I've been dealing with issue after issue on my bike mostly from it sitting for so long! Another good thing to go ahead and swap while you do the bearing is the clutch slave cylinder push rod and the seal that is inside the housing. They tend to get worn after a while and while your in there you might as well knock it out! Or be like me and get the bike all put together and side cover on and realize it was messed up 100 miles later when oil is trickling down the kickstand! This site has been a blessing for me as well, and helped me through a majority of those problems. Next up for me is cam chain tensioner extensions and some new Harley hard bags I'm going to fabricate mounts for along with new LED's and wiring for the rear lights. Wish me luck!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode