2006 Nomad, No fuel, No spark - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Color: Black
Garage
Question 2006 Nomad, No fuel, No spark

I just picked up a project Nomad. The prior owner got it at auction and let it sit for about a year, said they didn't know much about bikes but couldn't get it to start. His son changed out the fuel pump. That's about all the info I got.

I can't hear the pump priming when turning on the key or cycling the kill switch. I unplugged the pump leads and jumped it straight to the battery, the pump does work.

The bike does turn over with the start button, seems to be cranking over just fine in my opinion. Battery is sufficiently charged. I checked spark and see none.

I can hear the DFI relay click when I turn on the key, but it sounds sort of weak. I removed it and tested it and it doesn't seem to be working, so have one on order. That may be the reason for the pump not working but still doesn't explain the lack of spark.

I'm just getting started on troubleshooting, but thought maybe someone here could assist. Looking forward to getting this bike going so I can enjoy cruising a bit.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I got a new relay from Amazon, pretty quick since I ordered it on Sunday. I bench tested it and it passed. I installed the new relay on the bike with no change. I then removed the vehicle down sensor. I removed it and pulled it out on the left side of the bike, installed the tank so I could hook up the ignition switch and low and behold the fuel pump started to work.

The vehicle down sensor test in the manual failed, but I was still getting fuel pump priming. I checked spark at this point and none to be found still. Then after a few times the fuel pump didn't work again and I wasn't getting 12VDC source power to the vehicle down sensor. 1.5 VDC is all I was getting after turning the key on, I tested it at the 15 amp fuse.....12VDC before the key was turned on and 1.5 after.

Bad ground? Bad ignition switch?

Last edited by tntmo; 07-30-2019 at 01:57 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Reading wiring diagrams and shooting out the wires is a pain, but methodical procedures helps to figure it out. I traced all the wiring for the pump, it was driving me crazy. As soon as the key switch was turned on, voltage dropped to 1.5 or so. I don't know exactly what fixed it, but I did remove the 15 amp fuse and it was slightly corroded so I wire brushed the terminals and now we're back to fuel pump working.

So I believe I was testing the vehicle down sensor incorrectly, it does seem to pass the test parameters. The fuel pump cycles, I have done it about 20 times now consistently.

So if that's working, now I'm just working on getting spark to the darn thing. I did remove the ignition switch, took it apart and cleaned it. I also removed the kill switch and cleaned it. More to come......

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, I spent the entire day digging through the manual, reading wires and scratching my head trying to figure this thing out. I don't have all the equipment listed in the shop manual, so could only test so much. I did a resistance test on the coils and while doing that I decided to trim back a tiny bit on the spark plug boot end, unscrewing the cap, cutting off maybe 1/4" and screwing them back on.

After I did that, I tapped the start button and the bike coughed to life! I don't believe that had anything to do with it. I had the bike on the charger, and maybe it had reached enough voltage to make everything work. That's my hypothesis anyway. I came to that conclusion because I removed the charger to install the tank/seat/etc so that I could test the bike and it didn't start after doing that. I again hooked up the charger and after a couple minutes it started.

I got the bike through all the gears and it appears to work fine. A bit of hesitation but the fuel smelled old, so maybe that's it. After stopping the bike back at the garage it starts right back up, but if I let it sit for just a few minutes it will crank over but not start.

Everything I have read says these bikes are super picky about having solid voltage from the battery. I guess that's been the no spark issue all along? Anyway, here's to getting a project running for just a couple bucks! Now it's time to detail it and make it shine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode