LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Color: Silver/Green
Garage
Send a message via AIM to 905Mikelaf
GPS wiring

Looking for advice on hard wiring a Zumo 660 to my 1600 Nomad (2006).
Mike

Ride safe,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:29 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2006
Displacement/CC's: 750
Color: Red/black
Garage
Mine is a different bike but the idea is universal. There are many variations on how you can do this, of which this is but one. I have an old Garmin that I can also use in the car. On the bike, I use a RAM GPS mount attached to my handlebar. I don't know where you intend to put yours but it doesn't matter really.

So the GPS unit end of the setup naturally ends at the RAM mount and is zip-tied a couple of times to the handlebars to keep the wire in place. After allowing for some slack so the wires can handle the side-to-side movement of the handlebars when turning the bike, I routed the wire down the steering head and underneath the gas tank. The tank had to come off on my bike so I could run the wire along the left-side frame. A few more zip-ties keep the wire snug along the frame.

Anyway, since my GPS setup uses the original "car purposed" cigarette lighter type plug in, I needed to get (Walmart) a cigarette lighter style plug. I also got a battery pig tail, attached it to the battery and ran that wire down into the left-side cover. Of course, more zip ties secure the wire. My cigarette lighter kit did not end in a plug that would directly connect to the battery tender plug so I snipped off the end and soldered on an end that would plug directly into the battery tender.

Now, on my particular Garmin plug there is that red light that you can see in the picture below. While this does let me know that it is electrically on, it also keeps a power drain on my battery. I can keep it attached for about three weeks before the battery needs charging again. Yours may be different. So when I know I want to use the GPS I take off my left side cover and plug the thing in. When I am done using it, sometime in the next week I'll remember to pop off the cover again and unplug the thing. Again, yours may be a better deal where it doesn't continually use power.

On the one pic you can see the GPS power cord (with the single red light) plugged into the Walmart cigarette light plug, which is attached to the frame using black electrical tape. (In this pic the GPS cord has yet to be run upward and under the tank but is just hanging there.) The white wire coming from the cigarette receptacle goes off to the right where it is spliced into a wire with a battery tender style plug.

The other pic just shows the tender attached to the battery at the positive terminal, (up is forward in this pic) then runs forward and across, then back rearward along the left frame (zip tied) and finally down into the left side cover area.

As a project it was easy to do with the fuel tank removal/replacement being the biggest pain in the butt. The rest was simple.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GPS hookup behind left side cover.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	228034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery tender shown.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	228036  

Chris Cochran
Retired USAF '74 to '95 AMMO
Engine guard with highway pegs
Luggage rack
GPS on RAM handlebar mount
MCCTs replaced ACCTs
Iridium plugs: DPR7EIX-9
Custom made seat (verrry comfortable)
LED turn signals with rear signals relocated
LED license plate holder
Hard mounted Viking saddlebags
Hard mounted fork tool bag (free from Viking)
LED running lights on custom light bar
National Cycles Low Boy Heavy Duty windshield
Home made lowers
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 07:29 PM
jhs

i dont know about the 1600 nomad and zumo 660 but i have a zumo 360 on a 2012 nomad mounted to handle bar with ram mount which came with gps and connected to accessory outlet in headlight shell of which there are two set up for bullet connectors

1976 kh500 1980 rd400
1982 gpz750
1982 v45 saber
1993 concours
2012 nomad current ride

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:08 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Vaquero SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Candy Lime Green and Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by 905Mikelaf View Post
Looking for advice on hard wiring a Zumo 660 to my 1600 Nomad (2006).
Mike
Hi Mike

I was on here years ago as CustomRider. I could not for the life of me get my login to work...or recover my password. So, I am new (for the second time) to the forum. Years ago, I did a nice write up on GPS install. It should be similar enough for you.

www.vulcanforums.com/#/topics/27645

Matt
2013 Vulcan Vaquero SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode