LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Vulcan MS 1600
Displacement/CC's: 1552
Color: Red/Black
Garage
Meanie upgrades

Good morning all,

I had a question regarding the BIG 3 upgrades. I just received an all stock '06 MS yesterday and was looking into the BIG 3 for upgrades.

What brands did you go with that you feel did well for the Meanie? I'm currently looking at Cobra pipes (the Speedster and the Staggered Deluxe), a Cobra FI2000R, and a Baron BAK.

Just wanted to get some vibes about what may work well. I'd like a little more rumble in the pipes, but nothing just blistering loud.

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 08:14 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2006 VC1600 Mean Streak
Color: Black
I actually have those exact items on my 06 meanie. Speedster slashdown pipes, fi2000r, and Baron BAK (with the comet cover). I also have Big City Thunder Monster baffles in my exhaust...they're very loud. My wife works nights, so she sleeps during the day quite often so when I go for rides I have to close the garage door and push my bike out of the drive way before starting it to try and avoid waking her up. I've had many cops give me the eye when I ride by, but haven't been pulled over yet (fingers crossed it stays that way). They're loud, but sound nice, and looks good too.

You may want to look into Reed valves block off plates as well.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Did you notice a nice UMPH in performance Rasta? Smooth out the torque curve any?

How is riding with the BAK? I've read that it's a lot closer than a hypercharger and easier to ride with. I don't have incredibly long legs (5'10") so it seems like a good fit for me.

Thanks!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 08:36 AM

They were already on the bike when I bought it, so I can't really compare stock/upgraded, but I can tell you how it is with them.

The f2000r is fiddily, takes trial and error to try and dial on the right mixes; if I had the cash I'd prefer a smarter fuel controller that I could actually program/flash maps as all the f2000r can do is add fuel and only breaks down to 3 conditions, so it can't be super optimized.

The BAK is nice and low profile. I'm 6'0" with a 32-34' inseam and don't have any issues with touching it when using the stock pegs or my highway pegs.

The exhaust looks and sounds fantastic, and the bike feels pretty quick. She'll go from 70-120 (although my speedo is grossly inaccurate so it might actually be more from 55-100 for all I know) in 5th gear fairly quickly and with absolutely no complaints.

Now, she doesn't ride perfect. It pops a lot on deceleration (I do have a slight exhaust leak at the flange that I tried and failed to fix once, so will try again come spring time), and it lunges a lot when I have the throttle just barely barely open. I suspect that lunching might be fixed with a better fuel controller that wasn't trying to dump so much fuel into the cylinder at such a low power demand.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 08:48 AM

I'm also a huge proponent of these HR2 risers, if you're wanting a bit more comfort for longer rides. Adds 2" of pullback and rises the bars up about 1/2". Small change but makes a huge difference.

Also mustang seat, mucho comfortable.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you very much for all of the information. I already have my eyes on the mustang seat and hadn't had enough saddle time yet to really think about bar risers, but I'll definitely keep them in mind.

I wasn't sure about the FI2000. I am a lot more curious with the POWRPRO, but in my readings they don't seem to make one for meanies.

I may end up passing on this FI2000 and keep checking around for another flavor. I'm glad to hear about the BAK as it was at the top of my list.

Thanks again!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 01:30 PM
CRU

Displacement/CC's: 1600
Garage
You also have the Dobeck EJK 3.5 and of course the Power Commander III or V if you really want to get serious about fine tuning.

2008 Mean Streak Candy Fire Red
Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered exhaust
Dyno tuned Power Commander III & K&N air filter
Corbin Young Guns saddle/Kawi Fire & Steel "Touring" Double saddle
Mapam forward controls
Kuryakyn Constellation LED driving lights w/turn signals
Kuryakyn ISO grips w/stiletto end caps
Kawi OEM backrest
Kawi Fire & Steel windshield
Bad Ace Billet handlebar risers
Signal Dynamics BackOFF XP brake light module
Tourmaster Coaster tool bag