Valve noise? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
RastaPasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Pasco, WA
Year/Make/Model: 2006 VC1600 Mean Streak
Displacement/CC's: 1552
Color: Black
Gender: Male
Posts: 164
Valve noise?

I've seen videos of people who really really need a valve adjustment and there's a pronounced hard clicking noise. Mine isn't like that, but it does sound like maybe they're still making a bit of a ruckus down there. Took a couple videos to show you guys. In the shorter Part 2 video I feel like it gets louder and more "hard clickey" as it spools down from being reved.

Please take a look and let me know what you think. Is it normal mechanical engine noises, do I need to do a valve adjustment, or what?

Part 1: https://youtu.be/pZvhHtA2NAY
Part 2: https://youtu.be/C2Px94YlecE
RastaPasta is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 08:12 PM
Member
 
arobsum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Lowndes County Mississippi
Year/Make/Model: 2005 Vulcan VN2000A
Displacement/CC's: 2000
Color: metallic blue
Gender: Male
Posts: 80
Garage
sounds ok to me....these vulcans aren't the quietest things around.

Life. Nobody gets out alive.
arobsum is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 10:35 PM
Premium Member
 
MikeL123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 153
Garage
I've only got 13,000 miles on my Nomad and my valves are noisier than yours by a long shot. Like above said, these are pretty noisy motors. My bike is torn down for winter maintenance and fresh paint. When I get it running again next year I'll take a vid and post it up on YT while reviving this thread at the same time. Maybe if you hear a sound bite from a same motor you won't worry about it too much. You didn't say how many miles are on your ride?

Cheers!
Mike

2008 VN1600 NOMAD. Only 2,400 miles when I bought it in June of 2015. Everything stock for now, mods to come including the Big Three.
MikeL123 is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
RastaPasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Pasco, WA
Year/Make/Model: 2006 VC1600 Mean Streak
Displacement/CC's: 1552
Color: Black
Gender: Male
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL123 View Post
I've only got 13,000 miles on my Nomad and my valves are noisier than yours by a long shot. Like above said, these are pretty noisy motors. My bike is torn down for winter maintenance and fresh paint. When I get it running again next year I'll take a vid and post it up on YT while reviving this thread at the same time. Maybe if you hear a sound bite from a same motor you won't worry about it too much. You didn't say how many miles are on your ride?

Cheers!
Mike
Hey mike, I'm also mike! Just north of 20k on mine.
RastaPasta is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 09:32 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
Bandit101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Western NC
Year/Make/Model: 2015
Displacement/CC's: 103ci
Color: Black
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,170
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RastaPasta View Post
I've seen videos of people who really really need a valve adjustment and there's a pronounced hard clicking noise. Mine isn't like that, but it does sound like maybe they're still making a bit of a ruckus down there. Took a couple videos to show you guys. In the shorter Part 2 video I feel like it gets louder and more "hard clickey" as it spools down from being reved.

Please take a look and let me know what you think. Is it normal mechanical engine noises, do I need to do a valve adjustment, or what?

Part 1: https://youtu.be/pZvhHtA2NAY
Part 2: https://youtu.be/C2Px94YlecE
The valves on these engines are not adjustable.
Bandit101 is online now  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 09:10 PM
Premium Member
 
MikeL123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 153
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit101 View Post
The valves on these engines are not adjustable.
True Dat!! Hydraulic valve lifters. I just caught the OP's last sentence above on #1 post where he mentioned adjusting the valves. Perhaps if he can hear another motor of the same vintage and type he would worry less about the noises coming from his power plant. As stated, these are fairly noisy motors!!

Cheers!

Mike

2008 VN1600 NOMAD. Only 2,400 miles when I bought it in June of 2015. Everything stock for now, mods to come including the Big Three.
MikeL123 is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 12:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit101 View Post
The valves on these engines are not adjustable.
Well actually they are - if the HLA's don't work, they need to be replaced - and that's a major adjustment

The noise from my 1500 is so embarrassing I haven't been riding it lately. I'm pretty sure I have a couple of HLA's that are no longer working and I suspect my compression release is damaged. I need some time to pull the motor and take a look.
VulcanDrifter is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 01:27 PM
CRU
Senior Member
 
CRU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Seminole County, FL
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Gender: Male
Posts: 315
Garage
What about the camchain tensioners? The chain will start to make noise as it stretches. At 20K, things should be ok. But if this hasn't been done already, you might want to look into it.

Tear it up, fix it, repeat: Kawasaki Vulcan 1500/1600 Camchain Tensioner Extender Install

2008 Mean Streak Candy Fire Red
Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered exhaust
Dyno tuned Power Commander III & K&N air filter
Corbin Young Guns saddle/Kawi Fire & Steel "Touring" Double saddle
Mapam forward controls
Kuryakyn Constellation LED driving lights w/turn signals
Kuryakyn ISO grips w/stiletto end caps
Kawi OEM backrest
Kawi Fire & Steel windshield
Bad Ace Billet handlebar risers
Signal Dynamics BackOFF XP brake light module
Tourmaster Coaster tool bag
CRU is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 03:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRU View Post
What about the camchain tensioners? The chain will start to make noise as it stretches. At 20K, things should be ok. But if this hasn't been done already, you might want to look into it.
Ya, did that about 10 years ago - when things were still quiet.
VulcanDrifter is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
RastaPasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Pasco, WA
Year/Make/Model: 2006 VC1600 Mean Streak
Displacement/CC's: 1552
Color: Black
Gender: Male
Posts: 164
As far a know it hasn't been done. The final drive oil and coolant, also as far as I can tell, hadn't been changed either...so I'd assume the tensioners are just as they came from the factory.
RastaPasta is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vn 900 valve train noise jimmy74 Vulcan 900 10 11-06-2013 03:59 PM
VN-1500 Engine/Valve Noise Caleb New Member Introductions 0 08-01-2012 01:01 AM
Rear jug buring oil. Found oil leaking through reed valve in valve cover. Pa. Vulcan Vulcan 800 0 06-03-2011 11:16 AM
Vulcan 900 Custom Valve Noise?? scooter Vulcan 900 29 10-24-2010 01:14 PM
Valve Noise Help 900 supercub Vulcan 900 4 07-27-2010 11:36 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome